Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'm looking at an A coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, Oct 12, 2017.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

She has been setting a long time ,sheet metal is all there but the wood has long gone and it is coming apart at the seams. My problem is I can work with steel a lot better than wood. Hiring it done is not an option . Is replacing the wood with square tubing an option ? ,Good or bad ? Can a rookie woodworker do a decent job with a precut wood kit ? thanks for the help.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I replaced the top wood in my '31 with a kit from Fordwood. It is not a straight bolt in, but with a little common sense AND A BELTSANDER it can be done. If I didn't have the 18" benchtop beltsander I do, it would not have come out as well as it did. I'm at the point where I'm fine tuning the header wood for a better fit with the visor, but that's just a matter of using a block plane.
    The advantage to me of wood over steel is upholstery. I'm making a headliner and replacing the welt around the doors and tacking them to wood is far easier than trying to do it with steel. Your plans may make steel a better option.

4. vickckik

vickckik

There are Model A clubs in Iowa. Contact them for help. I have made some replacement wood using paper patterns as a guide. I don't remember where they came from but they didn't cost much.

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Thanks ,my bad for not doing a search.

6. You should be able to do it either way. On my 30 coupe and on my 30 sedan i chose the wood. If i remember right you have to figure out which piece goes in before the other. But not difficult.

7. Mo rust

Mo rust

I don't put any more wood back in them than I have to. I weld in a steel roof and stitch it all together well enough that it doesn't need the wood. I nail a couple 2 x 4's together to put under the visor to screw the windshield hinge into and leave out the rest.

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. Get the parts you need from Fordwood plus some patience and you'll be good. :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Check with Birdhaven Auto Supply in Colfax, IA.