Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm in

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by desertratrodder, Jun 12, 2008.

1. I'm settling up the last few bits to put one together.

Here is what I have..

26 Chrysler frame,
    ford 9 inch rear
    Misc 40 ford front end, beam axle, juice brakes, etc
    OR Econoline front end, the Chrysler frame is front leaf.
    F1 steering and pedals
    223 Ford 6 engine, Packard straight 8..I think for weight and trannys, I'll go with the Ford.
    26 Chrysler Cowl and body pieces, or go tubular with this huge belly tank I have.
    Lots of other bits..

Any problems with the Ford 223? They seem to be in the 130 -140 HP range, which is good enough for me.

I'm stoked I found this part of the forum today.
    I never knew it was here.

One more left coaster will be rolling down the track in 10 months!
    Maybe sooner!

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy,

Don't forget to start a build thead with "build thread" in the title for search purposes.

You have some interesting choices, I can hardly wait to see which way you go with it.

3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Welcome, glad 2 see another 1 joinning the party! Belly tank sounds cool, 40 ford front end stripped of its brakes IMHO and I used a F-1 steering box. I don't know much about the 223 but I think ThingyM was telling me he was looking at one at 1 time. Look forward to seeing your build and gettin' together. Rocky

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Cool.......another one that will be an assembly of odd bits, it's nice to see more old parts being used. Be creative, that's half the fun.:D

Definitely need a build thread with pictures. Gives us all incentive on our builds to see what the competition is doing.

5. wow! here it is , sometimes a lil drama pays off!

6. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

when you are considering a tranny, remember that when you pop the clutch on the new drag strips, they put down glue and it will destroy a smaller tranny.

7. ThingyM

ThingyM

Ratrodder.. You asked about the 223 Ford six..I got to say, that you should have no problem with the bottom end what so ever. They are strong..You can make the head breath alot better. It needs a larger intake valve. You can get any part you need from Egge Machine in Santa Fe Springs..We are going to build one soon for my friends car.. Good luck on your build..Lets go racing..

8. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Ratrodder,

Welcome to the group. I'm glad to see another HA/GR being built. I think you'll find this group will help in any way they can.

Ron

9. Thanks for the good words.

When I get back from selling stuff at the roadster show, I'll start digging into this project.

I will have a few questions here and there.
    I need to buy a NHRA rule book as well.

i think I have all the stuff to put one together.
    It may or may not look like "the Bug" but it will be built in the spirit.

Thanks again guys.
    Ray

10. ThingyM

ThingyM

Ray.... It doesn't have to look like "The Bug" in any way.. Look up some old 50s racing pictures.Then you'll get the Idea. Except, No slingshots..If you go back in the archives of the HA/GR site you'll see some of the cars that are already completed..Dick...

11. 17dracing

17dracing
    from Indiana

Just a question ,How big is the belly tank you have ? My salt flat lakester tank is 17 ' long and 42" across ! GMC 302 straight 6 powered !! I've started on the first of 3 HA/GR cars a couple of days ago !Good luck on your build !!! Post some pics. so we can see !!!!

12. My tank is about 26 inches across, but 21 feet long. The only way I could use it for this would be to cut it and widen it.
    I might just sell it and put the $$ into the build.

13. 17dracing

17dracing
    from Indiana

Check out www.landracing.com you should get about $2000 out of a tank that size ! Or just build you a 2 wheeler :D