Register now to get rid of these ads!

Im in over my head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59mercsled, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 59mercsled

59mercsled

So i am trying my first attempt at building a rod and i dont know where to start. Nothing seams to fit right. The body is a 42 dodge truck ( I think ) and the frame is like three frames welded together. If anyone on here lives in the San Diego area and could come give me some ideas on where to start and how to make this thing all fit together i will buy the beer and steaks. I have built 3 custom trucks one of which was in street trucks mag but i am lost when it comes to traditional rods and customs.

2. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

a lot of your problem could be the frankenstein of a frame you are talking about, possilby nothing is fitting right because the frame is out of alignment. Different heights in certain mounting spots could be throwing things off by 1/16th of an inch here and there and before you know it your doors are off by 1/2 of an inch...i would start by locating a solid frame for your truck, solid and unmolested. hope that helps

3. 59mercsled

59mercsled

well this is suppost to be a build for under $4000 and the body fits right on the frame but the power steering box is about six inches left of where the steering collum comes out of the cab. and there is a half an inch of bondo all over the entire body.

4. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

i hear ya man its overwhelming sometimes when you step back and look at it. tell us some more and throw up some picture of your cab and fram and general idea of what you want. i always like to set the body on the frame and slide some wheels and tire up to get a good mock up of what you want stance wise. move everything around and find what you like. if you want it channeled, drop the cab over the rails and see what you think. lets see some pics of it and tell us what look your going for i.e, full fendered, fenderless etc. for the first rod, i think alot of guys go fenderless(like me) because its more like building a t bucket and you have a little more room for mistakes. only thing is, the fenderless trucks are hard to get the look right. alot of people really screw up the proportions. thats why when your mocking up, really set back and have a beer and stare her down.

5. 59mercsled

59mercsled

as soon as it stops raining i will go snap a few pics. put the cab on it last night and we are going to go fenderless. bagged and channeled. 350 chevy motor. i have bags and body drops and engine swaps before but all the steering and breakes

6. If you are talking bags and a fenderless 42 you really ARE NOT talking about traditional.

7. 59mercsled

59mercsled

well my frend calls it a rat rod but i know how people on this sight feel about that term so i dont know what elts to call it. like i said i am new to the sceen i have a 59 merc i slamed. this truck is actually my roommates. my car was pretty much complete when i bought it i just slammed it and put some big white walls on it. This truck we bought for 400 bucks and it was pretty much all there when it comes to body parts but it was in pieces and had no engine and tranny.

8. Please take some time to research what a traditional rod is comprised of. Slow down and get a clear vision of what you would like to be. It is not a race to the finish. The HAMB is your best resource for inspiration, tech , and even parts. Use it to your advantage.

9. 59mercsled

59mercsled

we have a pretty clear vision of what we want. Chop top shaved clean. fenderless. body in the weeds. white wall tires. a reliable motor and trany. keep the original grill but chop down. painted flat black.

10. 59mercsled

59mercsled

11. 59mercsled

59mercsled

or not it this damn thing would work i would post some up

12. 59mercsled

59mercsled

13. 59mercsled

59mercsled

14. 59mercsled

59mercsled

i cant figure out how to put more than one image on a post i suck at computers

15. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Well, I don't really like 350 Chevy's. They can be okay if they're done up in a traditional manner, but if you just have a lot of chrome stuff you order out of a magazine they look pretty generic.

But do what you want. Don't let people boss you around with your project, it is yours after all, and you'll most likely be the only one on this forum that ends up having to drive it. So do what you love to do.

On a side note, I never really understood why people have such faith in the "reliability" of a 350 Chevy. It's about as reliable as any other V8 out there. If we wanted reliability we wouldn't be driving hot rods at all.

16. alchemy

alchemy

I wouldn't be caught DEAD in that truck fenderless. That frame would be a crime if it weren't covered up. Please reconsider.

17. Joatha

Joatha

That thing will look like ass without fenders.

JMNSHO

18. 59mercsled

59mercsled

its not that a 350 chevy is any more reliable its that the are a dime a dozen and you can go down the street to any auto parts store and they have watever you need setting on the shelve in back. so no waiting around for a week to get a part you need

19. 59mercsled

59mercsled

a better pic of the frame up front[​IMG]

20. Since you have a dodge why not go mopar drive train...the 318's and 360's are bullit proof motors and a A727 you just can't kill.

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You can find bit's and pieces of the information you're looking for here. i.e., How to install bags, chop a top, install a clip, straighten a frame, etc. But this site isn't geared at all toward what you are putting together so you're not going to find a how to on building chopped fenderless late 40's truck with bags. (you already know this)

I would suggest breaking it down into digestible bits and searching out the individual tasks and asking your questions there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.