Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "I'm here to pick up the rubbish"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drylakespeedshop, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi, 34....

No, I'm in central California (Atwater, 60 miles above Fresno) and it's been 3-digit hot this summer! (that's Fahrenheit, not Centigrade)
    My 'shed' is 25 feet X 25 feet, all metal, my young wife built the whole thing after I placed the tubular steel 'gables'...but it's hot as blazes in the summer.
    So, we worked on my drastically lowered '94 BMW convertible (with optional removable hard top!)
    Did it in the front driveway, (now covered with a metal car port, 24 feet wide X 25 feet long) Breeze blows thru, ahhh. Way cooler than the shop.
    Fixed the front air dam (underneath, previous owner had broken some underneath plastic...Hate working with plastic. Fixed it, though...made some small aluminum brackets, drilled and screwed some small metal bolts in, like we used on the steel shed! Had some left over...LOL
    My roadster and tub are in my shop, some cool days are coming...I have to take the frame number to the Motor Vehicle dep't, and get that settled. Then I'll do some metal work, and assemble my flathead.
    My '55 F100 is ready for the 'new' '60 pickup axle, if you use this axle it lowers the '55 1". (low now, with reversed-eye and flattened springs) It'll handle better, as the axle in there now has worn king pin bores. Spindles want to stay in one position, constantly binding. Need to do some sanding and prep on it, looks horrible in faded, splotched primer! Black faded, then light grey, with some former red oxide primer showing thru. Under that is the metallic blue it once was, (1956!) and the factory yellow...Looks like a cartoon. LOL
    At least it's not raining.
    How are things in Holland??? My Grandfather was from Alsace-Lorraine...1900.

2. Hey Mike, do you have 3 phase electric, in your shop ? If so ... see if you can find a restaurant style, updraft fan. It's those mushroom cap looking ventilators, you see on restaurant roofs.

They're designed to immediately draft smoke, smells, whatever ... from interior kitchens. You can find them fairly cheap, used.

Installed, and drafting your car port shade, thru the open door ... you'll get a lot more cooler air, to replace that hot, stale, interior. You can wire them on a thermostatic switch.

Sorry for the hijack. Back to the regular "cool" programming ...

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! Yeah, I'm looking around for a system like that. No 3 phase, just 110 and 220.
    But the hot spell is starting to cool down, so I can get some stuff done.
    Loving the posts here on the '32 Roadster...("Here to pick up the rubbish")
    This guy has the best of luck finding that old treasure!
    What are you working on now???

4. Thread hijackers ;) :D

brEad likes this.
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gosh, I'm sorry! I thought I was in P.M. (conversation?) then found I had hijacked the thread.
    Sincere apology!

6. haha I figured as much! All good. At least you didn't say anything personal!

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, Speedy...
    Great thread, BTW...That roadster is killer... `all the gennie parts, coming together in a well depicted story.

drylakespeedshop likes this.
  8. drylakespeedshop

drylakespeedshop

Went on a decent tin hunt recently, and scored a 34 ford front cross member, 30 ford open car cowell, 31 closed car eye brow panel, and a whole bunch of patch panels and parts from junk piles pushed up by council graders. Found them in places I never would have thought to look, it's cool getting free parts. I also found half a dozen coins too! So much fun, and has been a great way to escape the horrible things I'm going through at the moment.

9. Aw shit. I hate it when productive young people get caught up in bother of some sort or other.

10. Glad you had some success hunting tin. Wishing you luck & strength for what ever troubles you’re currently facing.

11. drylakespeedshop

drylakespeedshop

Offset generator bracket arrived today. Also purchased the polishing wheel to get this alloy sparkling. IMAG0059.jpg IMAG0058.jpg

12. drylakespeedshop

drylakespeedshop

Also mounted the brake master and brake scoops. IMAG0045.jpg IMAG0044.jpg

13. Looking good mate. I like the small Marchal lights. What are the two red attachments ? Do they turn with the steering ? That would be cool.

14. drylakespeedshop

drylakespeedshop

They're just small red clamps holding them in place for now. I really like the small lights too, the lenses have a neat ribbed ridge which runs top to bottom.

15. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

It's very nice to see another younger guy with kids playing this game on the cheap. Well done. Subscribed

16. drylakespeedshop

drylakespeedshop

Made a small amount of progress on the roadster recently. Sold a set of 35 wires including the front runners off the roadster and had a couple of others blasted and painted them today. Tyres are 550 16" firestones that I bought cheap off a restorer who misordered. Cost me $25 for a new pair! Anyway, I think these will help the stance a little. Get the tyres fitted tomorrow! IMAG0164.jpg IMAG0128.jpg IMAG0100.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  17. drylakespeedshop

drylakespeedshop

Had a clean out and sold some grilles to help with roadster funds too! IMAG0088.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  18. drylakespeedshop

drylakespeedshop

IMAG0217.jpg IMAG0218.jpg IMAG0219.jpg Got some time in today on the roadster, welding patches in the floor pan and sealed them up with paint.

brEad, chryslerfan55, pcbart and 10 others like this.
  19. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

It is really starting to get the look!!

drylakespeedshop and Thor1 like this.
  20. Just finished reading through all 28 pages. Great build, I'm in awe of your resourcefulness! It's really starting to come together!

21. drylakespeedshop

drylakespeedshop

Thanks fellas! Means a lot!

pcbart and Thor1 like this.
  22. Peter Nowak

Peter Nowak
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really nice !
    Time for a stubby.

23. Peter Nowak

Peter Nowak
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok Ok. no self respecting Ozzy man can drink 1 beer.
    so make it a slab and call it a day.