Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "I'm here to pick up the rubbish"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Drylake, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Drylake

Drylake

They're an after market scoop. I was thinking of doing the steel cap scoops, but bit the bullet and coughed up the dough to buy these ones. Ties in with a couple of other finned parts in the engine bay.

2. Drylake

Drylake

20190524_132757.jpg 20190524_132812.jpg 20190524_132802.jpg I'm getting the fender profile near where I like it. The individuality is part of what is pushing me in the direction of these fenders, rather than just bolting on cycle guards. I posted a little on these a while back, they're the quite rusted originals with I think Bedford truck fender cuts for the swage and shape. Junk pile finds. 20190524_133612.jpg

3. Drylake

Drylake

20190527_122952.jpg Dropped the seat down as low as I could get it on the slides. Also did some work on the shifter. I got a nice double detent shifter with the heap of flatheads I purchased a while back, and it turned out to be a narrow fork shifter unfortunately. I've cut forks from one of the side shifter plates I had and started doing the modifications required. 20190527_154849.jpg

4. Drylake

Drylake

5. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I like 'em! Good looking, and kind of a "signature piece" for the build.

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

drylakespeedshop likes this.
  6. Drylake

Drylake

This was a photo I posted earlier in the build process. Close Screenshot_2019-05-27-22-33-04-1.png to what I'm doing with the rear fenders.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Are you aware that your rear plates are two different styles? One's a 40 style and one's a 48. Each requires different lower anchor hardware and different shoes.

8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Read his answer to the question of whether they are ends of valve covers again! They are not!

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  9. Drylake

Drylake

I believe the the anchor hardware can be changed over, is this correct? Drill out the rivets and install the bolts which will allow matching shoes?

10. Drylake

Drylake

Selling lots of cool junk at the moment, there'll be nothing but a shed frame and a hot rod by the time I'm done... ha ha!!

11. alchemy

alchemy

I've never even considered drilling out the later studs to replace with early bolts. It might work. I'd do some precise measuring first to make sure the thicknesses of that backer plate are the same, and in the same place. And, getting the hole in the exact spot is very important. Probably best done on a mill. Otherwise the shoe might not be able to be adjusted into the proper clearance.

A Boner and Drylake like this.
  12. Mart

Mart

Please check this, but I think the holes for the bolts and the fixed anchor studs are not on the same centers. A friend tried to use the wrong backplates and convert them to the other type and it was not an easy task.

Mart.

13. Drylake

Drylake

I'll be doing some checking today, and collecting another backing plate. I was lucky enough to line up a plate 10 minutes from home. See how I go, I have heard of them being drilled, but unsure on all the details. Thanks for the replies!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Drylake

Drylake

Returned to a great little store today, and bought an old chrome generator, "stop" light and a gauge from another antique store to fill a dash hanging in the shed. Sorting through door latches and repairing handles today. I'll set up a citric acid bath and clean the rear backing plate I bought during the week. 20190601_163446.jpg 20190531_193921.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  15. Drylake

Drylake

No great progress recently. Worked on making new bonnet catches today. Used the tops of 4 I found in junk heaps. Found some tube the correct size out for curbside rubbish on a bed head. Cut the threads and welded washers to the other end. Just have to pick up some new springs for them. 20190612_103451.jpg 20190612_124206.jpg 20190612_124212.jpg 20190612_103142.jpg

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

good one dls… one might use 20" or so tubes instead of straps when not running hood sides...HMMMM

oliver westlund and Drylake like this.
  17. Drylake

Drylake

Found a few gems in a store today. Needed a bezel for the "stop" light which I found, along with A model ford rad/tank caps, 32 & 33 commercial rad caps, 34 rad caps and a 33 hub cap! Got a good deal, I was hoping to find a radiator cap for my roadster, and may end up using one of them for the time being. 20190626_160547.jpg

18. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

Glad to see that you're back. Always enjoy your posts.

drylakespeedshop and greaser like this.
  19. Drylake

Drylake

Thanks, I've been chasing up my backing plate mix up, picked one up and it's been in the citric bath. I've been building a lot of retaining walls in my yard lately, and I'll be glad to have a break from that and get into some hot rod fun!

20. Drylake

Drylake

A little progress yesterday. Stop light, license plate light tube, I made up. Started mirroring the custom fenders and did a little abbrassive blasting and painting. 20190701_092525.jpg

21. Drylake

Drylake

22. Drylake

Drylake

23. How,s it going there. To cold & wet in the shed ?

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hi, 34....

No, I'm in central California (Atwater, 60 miles above Fresno) and it's been 3-digit hot this summer! (that's Fahrenheit, not Centigrade)
    My 'shed' is 25 feet X 25 feet, all metal, my young wife built the whole thing after I placed the tubular steel 'gables'...but it's hot as blazes in the summer.
    So, we worked on my drastically lowered '94 BMW convertible (with optional removable hard top!)
    Did it in the front driveway, (now covered with a metal car port, 24 feet wide X 25 feet long) Breeze blows thru, ahhh. Way cooler than the shop.
    Fixed the front air dam (underneath, previous owner had broken some underneath plastic...Hate working with plastic. Fixed it, though...made some small aluminum brackets, drilled and screwed some small metal bolts in, like we used on the steel shed! Had some left over...LOL
    My roadster and tub are in my shop, some cool days are coming...I have to take the frame number to the Motor Vehicle dep't, and get that settled. Then I'll do some metal work, and assemble my flathead.
    My '55 F100 is ready for the 'new' '60 pickup axle, if you use this axle it lowers the '55 1". (low now, with reversed-eye and flattened springs) It'll handle better, as the axle in there now has worn king pin bores. Spindles want to stay in one position, constantly binding. Need to do some sanding and prep on it, looks horrible in faded, splotched primer! Black faded, then light grey, with some former red oxide primer showing thru. Under that is the metallic blue it once was, (1956!) and the factory yellow...Looks like a cartoon. LOL
    At least it's not raining.
    How are things in Holland??? My Grandfather was from Alsace-Lorraine...1900.

25. Hey Mike, do you have 3 phase electric, in your shop ? If so ... see if you can find a restaurant style, updraft fan. It's those mushroom cap looking ventilators, you see on restaurant roofs.

They're designed to immediately draft smoke, smells, whatever ... from interior kitchens. You can find them fairly cheap, used.

Installed, and drafting your car port shade, thru the open door ... you'll get a lot more cooler air, to replace that hot, stale, interior. You can wire them on a thermostatic switch.

Sorry for the hijack. Back to the regular "cool" programming ...

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks! Yeah, I'm looking around for a system like that. No 3 phase, just 110 and 220.
    But the hot spell is starting to cool down, so I can get some stuff done.
    Loving the posts here on the '32 Roadster...("Here to pick up the rubbish")
    This guy has the best of luck finding that old treasure!
    What are you working on now???

27. Thread hijackers ;) :D

41rodderz and brEad like this.
  28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Gosh, I'm sorry! I thought I was in P.M. (conversation?) then found I had hijacked the thread.
    Sincere apology!

29. haha I figured as much! All good. At least you didn't say anything personal!

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks, Speedy...
    Great thread, BTW...That roadster is killer... `all the gennie parts, coming together in a well depicted story.