Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "I'm here to pick up the rubbish"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Drylake, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Drylake

Drylake

2. flatford39

flatford39

Boy...I don't know if I like that or not. It's a shame to fuck up a decent deck skin. Maybe I am not seeing the total picture but that just doesn't look right.

kiwijeff, dinglebarry and WiredSpider like this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Strangely enough I think I like it. Get some paint on there and it will blend in much better to the untrained eye. Pinstripes even better.
    These cars don't all have to be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Drylake

Drylake

The deck lid skin had a huge amount of filler. So there's nothing "fucked up"..... or wasted. we'll just have to see how it comes out with some paint on it. The patches that were in it were bronze welded, and distorted. I don't mind honest opinions, as long as they're constructive. [​IMG]Pretty hard to see how much filler was on it, but there was alot!

Sent from my SM-N910G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Drylake

Drylake

In saying that, it's only metal. If I find I don't like it once it has some colour on it, I'll just re-do it.

6. Drylake

Drylake

[​IMG]Shame about the shed flooding over night... but the proportions of the louvres work for me.

7. Drylake

Drylake

8. Drylake

Drylake

9. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

I enjoy your thread. I like seeing people use their brains and not their wallet. Resourcefulness is fun to watch.

kiwijeff, biggeorge, greaser and 3 others like this.
  10. Drylake

Drylake

11. Louvers look good to me! Something different, and that's nice.

12. Drylake

Drylake

Started doing a bit more on the front and rear ends as well as radiator support rods.[​IMG] bit more work to do on the deck lid but I like it. I used the twisted and bent up 36 brake rods for my rad support rods. Took a couple of minutes to straighten out on the anvil and cut the threads.That is the brake rod sitting on the deck lid....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]it looks like someone took a dump in my banjo. Any way... it's progress!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  13. Drylake

Drylake

[​IMG]walker radiator should be a week or so away.... bit excited to get one of my substantial components sorted!

chryslerfan55, biggeorge and greaser like this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I really am enjoying this thread. You are one heck of a creative and resourceful guy! Too bad you mounted the column drop on the wrong side. LOL

oliver westlund and Drylake like this.
  15. Drylake

Drylake

^hahahaha, that made me laugh! [​IMG]Reversed the front spring a little while ago and decided to clean it up today and get some paint on it.

16. That second leaf is going to need shortening. Looks like there's no room to slide now the eye is reversed.;)

Outback, dirt t and chopped f1 like this.
  17. Drylake

Drylake

Thank x38, I originally had the stack set up without that leaf in there. I changed my mind at the last minute and decided I wanted the extra strength in that area. I assume it'll need an inch off either side? I wasn't thinking, just excited to make a little progress. The purks of having a busted foot, has meant I get some time in the shed as it heals!

biggeorge likes this.
  18. dinglebarry

dinglebarry

Any plan to keep water out?
    An inside drain pan, I've often wondered about that on louvered cars, Dare to be
    different, cool concept

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Drylake

Drylake

Short term plan will be to take it out when the sun is out. Long term plans might be around the tedious job of filling the louvre openings. Getting 96 louvre openings laser cut and welding them in.... at this stage I'm just trying to get as much done before my second attempt of foot surgery, and of course returning to work.

20. Drylake

Drylake

Motor mounts, motor mount kit, trans mount, rumble hinges are on there way, thanks to the sale of a project I have been collecting bits for. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]seems like a shame to sell all the parts before really working on them. But it'll help things move ahead.

Unfortunately the $4,500 I got for this coupe ended up paying for a second operation on my foot, with ligament and bone alignment. It's been a tough time.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  21. Drylake

Drylake

[​IMG]tyres are on my rims! I'm getting a bit excited! Radiator is due to be here late this week![​IMG][​IMG]re-arranged a few flattys and sorting out the shed today. Looked up and had to take photo!

22. Drylake

Drylake

I've been trying to figure out brake combinations. At this stage it looks like I'll be modifying 36 backing plates and using the 36 drums on the rear. Up front I have a decent pair of backing plates but no drums as yet.

23. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

my brother went to Australia on vacation.... he said it was 50 degrees in the shade at the crack of dawn and rains twice a century....so how is it your shop floor always appears to be a mud bog? maybe you should go by Lakeinsidespeedshop? ;-) just kidding great progress man but why run mechanical brakes? I assume because you want wide 5's? they still had wide 5's in '38-9 but hydro b/p's also the '36 drums are slightly different than later wides and are 1 year only

Outback likes this.
  24. Drylake

Drylake

I'm running hydraulic brakes, just converting the 36 backing plates on the rear and using the 5 on 5.5 drums that came with the banjo. 1939-48 backing plates up front. I just need to find some suitable drums for up front. I'm running the 35 wires.

We've had more rain here than I can remember.

Swamp speed shop

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  25. Drylake

Drylake

[​IMG][​IMG]found some brakes on the net, and sold plenty of rusty treasures to pay for them. Shed is looking empty...[​IMG]

26. Drylake

Drylake

Rumble seat hinges are in transit, walker radiator is here, front brakes are in transit and I snapped up another 32 dress up kit for another grill I have, motor mounts and trans mount are also in transit and my tires are on my 35 wires. Been a successful week! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Fern 54, chryslerfan55, brEad and 3 others like this.
  27. Drylake

Drylake

28. Drylake

Drylake

29. Hope all went well with your surgery!

j-jock and drylakespeedshop like this.
  30. Drylake

Drylake

[​IMG]Looks pretty ugly at the moment, but in six weeks I'll be able to pretend it never happened . Itching to get my parts on the 32 but can't make it down the hill to the shed....

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.