Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'M GOING TO BUILD AN ALTERED.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We haven't really done anything for the past month or so, I've been busy with lots of Dr visits, but tonight we dragged out the frame jig and got it ready for Saturday, that is when we are going to get some welding done. I'll post some pictures when we get to that stage.

Thanks for asking.

Don

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

That's looking quite swish old chap

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Really enjoying this build,thanks for the ride.

4. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Don. What's going on ?

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Not much, Baron. :( About a month ago we did get the frame welded up almost completely, the only thing left is to roll the steel over the front round crossmember and weld that up, but then we ran out of time. Dan is a musician, besides having a full time day job, and he has been playing at least 2-3 times a week lately, so he isn't around to weld for me. Plus, he has his own Mustang project that he never gets time to work on, so I feel very guilty dragging him away from the very little time he has off to work on the altered..........but he has been great about helping me.

So.........the plan is that in the next few weeks his playing should slow down and on one of our days off together we are going to finish the front of the frame and start getting the rear end housing installed. I have almost all the parts laying there to get this thing up on wheels, it is just a time issue.........his days off are different from mine too, which really complicates things.

Once we finish up the frame and cage welding I can take over from there on my own and do all the rest of the stuff, like mounting the engine and transmission, mounting the body, plumbing and electrical, etc. But for the welding I need Dan to do that for me.

Thanks for asking though, and I will be sure to post some pictures when we get moving again.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. How is your health keeping now Don, hopefully you are firing on all cylinders again ? You are heading into your cooler months now too so that should help with working in your workshop.

7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

whiplash, in the USA we are heading towards the warmer part of the year. :rolleyes:

whiplash1923T likes this.
  8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, Whip we are now heading into the brutal months of the year........time to sweat like a pig for the next 6 months.

Thanks for asking, I am feeling well. Turned out it wasn't a stroke after all, just something goofy going on that they couldn't pin down after a bunch of tests. But I have been feeling good for the past couple of months now.

Don

9. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like all is well, other than finding some "spare time". Glad to hear your feeling better and looking forward to some pictures when you get back on it.
    Baron

10. Glad to hear you are well Don. Really enjoy the build.

11. Thanks Dick for putting me right as I must of been thinking of our beautiful Autumn day today and forgot that it is us heading into winter. Oh well, my dumb, but hey, good to hear you Don have been feeling well again and it is only time that is holding you up.

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don I remember the day I was trying to teach Dan to tig weld in your shop, it was like trying to weld in a sauna, sweat running in your eyes, a real pain in the arse !!!

Glad to see your feeling better.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks Guys, I am feeling better. Old age is just a bitch.

Yep, Steve, you have got to start visiting us in the Winter..........much better. :D

Yesterday I ran out and had our tanks refilled for our welders and cutting torches, so, when Dan's schedule slows down a little in the next couple of weeks I should have more to post on the build.

Don

Andamo likes this.
  14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Any progress Don ???

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Not on the altered, Steve, I have temporarily turned my attention to my 27. I pulled it off the road about 8 months or more ago because it needed a throwout bearing and also needed a few other things done to it. I have been driving it for the last 5 years with basically only oil changes, so it was pretty shabby. When I pulled the car apart I found that the slave cylinder was just hanging by one loose bolt, the rest had fallen out ! :eek: The car definitely needed some attention.

I pulled the motor to fix a persistent oil leak from the rear seal area, and ordered a new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing from Summit this week. Now I can get it back on the road and start driving it again.

As for the altered, once I get the 27 out of the way,I am going to start back on it. Dan's playing schedule is lighter now, and he has been able to get some days on his Mustang, so I will impose on him for the welding I need done. Once I get it up on wheels I can take it from there.

But thanks for asking, Steve. :)

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi Don, yeah look after that 27 its a lovely little car, Say hi to Dan for me, seems ages since our last visit :(

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I will say hi to him, looking forward to your and Sue's next holiday here.

The 27 is about ready for the motor to go back in. Got everything cleaned up yesterday, just waiting for some parts to come.

[​IMG]

Don

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Tell me you got started on it again.

19. pnevells

pnevells

Hi Don,
    We, have had a fun summer running the altered. ran a 9.58 at 135 at Island Dragway a few weeks back. I will be coming to Venice again for the horse show with my wife in January , would like to stop down to your shop and see the altered and all your hot rods, Hope all is well with your health,
    Paul

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Saltflats, no, I've kinda put the altered aside until I get the rpu done. Now that my 27 is back on the road I can spend some time on it. But as soon as the rpu is running I really want to get banging on the altered, before I get too old to drive it.

PAUL !!! Where the heck have you been ?? I was just thinking that I haven't heard from you in a long time. Look forward to January, give me a yell.

Yeah, health is still ok, how about you ?

Don

21. pnevells

pnevells

Don,
    Doing fine been racing all summer, we are done now, ran a 9.58 at 135 a few weeks back, car is working real well, i will see you in January

IMG_1251.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  22. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Man, that's AWESOME! Congrats!!!

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

My Hot Rod Deluxe altered project, mocked up for the final magazine story.
    Still needs to be plumbed, wired, several things need to be re-fabricated and modified... but the bulk of it is finished. I'll be working on it to debut (but not run) at The Gear Jam Drags in April, then plan on having it at the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green, the Meltdown Drags, and a couple others this year.
    Engine made a little over 500hp for the story, and we found a crack in the block, so the new block and tuning put it at 514hp @ 5400rpm, and over 500lb of torque for most of the power band.
    Mopar 8 3/4 rear with two spools: one wearing 4.10 gears for the 1/8-mile, the other with 3.23 for the quarter. All the computer calculators say... well, they say "too fast!"
    I've got a hell of a learning curve ahead of me.
    The FE build is by far the most expensive part of this project. I scored the entire induction on Ebay, turn-key and ready to run, for $1,300; which is a GREAT deal for a factory 2x4, carbs, linkage, air cleaner, etc. etc. etc. But that was just the intake.
    A guy could build a 450-500hp small block Chevy from the swap meet for nearly what I paid for just the intake, and it'd be lighter than the FE to boot!
    I really think a vintage-style Altered is a great way to get into nostalgia racing on the cheap.

Attached Files:

loudbang, Dog_Patch and fast30coupe like this.
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dude, I didn't realize that was your car. I read that article on the cage, if that's the same car I am thinking about. Very cool.

25. abone1930

abone1930

frame is looking good :)

26. That thing is looking pretty sweet Brad! Who did the paint and letters?

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Just the other night I was soaking in the tub and grabbed a couple of magazines to read while in there. One of them was the HRDeluxe with the article on your car in it. Enjoyed reading it all over again and stole a few ideas for mine.

I'm doing some things to allow me to get back on my own altered project a little quicker. I have been hitting on the rpu, now the transmission and rear crossmember are installed. Ready to put the body back on now and start body work.

Secondly, I realized I have more projects than years left, so I decided to get rid of my 46 Ford Tudor. I will never get around to it, especially if I ever start to actually race the altered, so I offered it to my two Sons. Dan has his Fox Mustang to do, plus his 30 Model A Tudor that is waiting in the loft, so he had no interest in it. However, Don did want it back ( I sold it to him at one time and then bought it back) so this time I am just giving it to him with all the parts and parts car that goes with it.

I feel like a weight has been lifted off me, and I know he will finish it at some point, where I would not have. I would rather give it to him while I am alive than have him get it in my estate. This will free up space in our shop for me to get back on the altered. I want to go racing in the worst way, and all this clutter in my life was slowing that down.

So maybe I will actually have some progress to post about sometime in the near future ! :D

In the meantime, here is a picture of the transmission installed in the rpu.

[​IMG]

Baron, loudbang and Andamo like this.
  28. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Don, you're a smart man! I'm 45, and have realized I've got more projects than years left! I want to go racing bad too. Got the Altered to a point where it's a roller, and in the next few months I'm going to button it up and get a '54 Buick back on the road, then... who knows?
    What trans are you gonna run in the Altered? I just got a carbon fiber trans shield, and it fits the powerglide like a skin, so it'll give me a lot more room for the floor. It was more expensive than the plate-style shields, but will make things a lot nicer overall. An inch here, an inch there, and before you know it, the interior is roomy!

loudbang likes this.
  29. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Tony, Dave Piatick in Athens did the lettering... REAL lettering, with one-shot. He did an awesome job.

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, is your website down for the drags?