Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm disgusted, shop mishap!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopolds, Jan 10, 2004.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I can't believe it. I was working on making a pattern, for another hammerform, for the front pan on my Chevy. I had to remove the Chrysler grill, that I waited over a year to be repaired, and chromed. I put it on top of a plastic garbage can, cause all other 'tables' were taken. I finally finished up the cardboard pattern and left for the night.
    Came in the next afternoon, to begin the rest of the process, and found my grille laying on the floor! With the end of the bottom bar laying about a foot away from it! The die cast had broken at a weak spot. I am heartsick. I spent a ton of time on it, carefully cutting off the factory ends, and making new ones to fit my car. Then having a VERY expensive plater fix all the pits, and cracks, and chrome it. I waited forever for it to be done. Now it's fucked!
    Even if I can get a replacement bar, I've got to spend a lot of time customizing it to fit, AGAIN, and wait for the plater to do his work on it. AND pay his high cost, AGAIN.
    Or, bring it back to him to try and fix it, for even more money.
    I was hoping to get the car on the road for the summer, but this may squash that dream. Time and money are against me, at this point.
    Just venting.....

2. SKR8PN

SKR8PN

I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. Heartbreaking,isn't it??????
    If I were you,I would get it back to the plater,and see if he can repair it. Gotta be cheaper and easier than starting from scratch.........Best of luck.

3. Yeah -Im sorry Man-been in that very sam predicament a time or two.....CAN be "soldere" with those propanne torch filler rods tho....

4. Jdee

Jdee

Man that sucks!
    I broke my 39 grill this week Not to bad though [​IMG]
    Was not rechromed but kind of Oh crap anyway.
    Must be the week for it [​IMG]
    Jdee

5. old beet

old beet

Chopolds, is a 59 Imperial grill?......OLDBEET

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

No, old beet. 50 Chrysler. Bought it at a swap meet, thinking it was an old Caddy grill. By the time I found out exactly what it was, I had already done a lot of work to it, and decided I really liked it's look in my car. Fits my 'theme'.
    Called the plater, and explained my situation. I've got to bring him my Caddy bumpers for the car, to plate, as they have a LOT of welding done to them, and I know he'll make them look right. Maybe he'll give me a break, with all the extra business I'm bringing him.
    Here's a shot of the grill before I did the mods to it.

Attached Files:

7. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

....Mark........that's sad......BUT.....I know that you're pretty sharp. It's just one of those things and I'm SURE that you have learned something and it will NEVER happen again! Watching American Chopper, they had TWO bikes fall off the stand in two days! The first wasn't that bad and the second was. THAT was stupid!! Hang in there........

8. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

really sorry to hear about that, man.

9. Kustm52

Kustm52

Man, sorry to hear that...the old "the hurrieder I go, the behindeder I get" routine. Don't give up, you gotta bring that car to Lancaster this year!

Brian