Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm cheap, and I need convincing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AZbent, Jun 27, 2012.

1. AZbent

AZbent

Heres the deal. I have a '53 chevy AD 3100 truck. I am waffling on which type of front suspension to use. I really like the idea of having Sid drop the the axle, but I also like the idea of IFS (MII or Jag). I believe I have a wedding coming up shortly (my second son), to help pay for. So, here is where I need the convincing. Do I just wait or do I find a way to do the front suspension on the cheap? The cheap way is the way I prefer. I know that if I use the orig axle, I can break up the cost. If I go the drop axle route, what parts can I source from donor vehicles for the brakes, etc? Any idea on the cost for a Jag IFS? The MII is pretty self explanitory, just look in some catalogs for the price. I am open to any and all suggestions, please help.
    Mark

2. Get the axle dropped or find one already dropped.

Even if you buy an aftermarket kit for brakes you will still be in cheaper than the cost of building an IFS. Cheap wouldn't be my excuse but whatever it takes to keep your truck a truck is fine by me.

3. sinticket

sinticket

Drop axle by far. It will still ride great! I actually have my axle flipped to the top of the springs w/o a dropped axle and I love it! Spend the $$$ on your sons wedding.

4. belair

belair

Dropped axle. Then some disc brakes. Use the money saved to put some A/C in it. All done.

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I always thought the bride's family paid for the wedding...

6. Master of None

Master of None

I'd get the axle dropped, then look into a disk brake kit. Speedway has a bolt on kit for your spindles that fits well. It does however convert to a 5 bolt pattern, and requires a 15 in rim. I put one on a clients truck who later converted to a open dive line so it wasn't a issue. If I remember correctly it has Gm metric style calipers.

7. AZbent

AZbent

Right now, I have more time than money. Once school starts up again (second job) and I have a class to teach then it will be the other way around. So if I go the dropped axle route , any idea of the parts that I can souce from other cars?

8. AZbent

AZbent

Hot rod you are right, but the groom sfamily pays for some. For my other sons wedding, I made a bed as a gift. They seem to love it, and I now have a grand daughter. Maybe the magic will work again with him. That bed took a lot of time to make. So, there goes more of my time. The wedding stuff, is just stuff that my wife put together from comments and overheard items. I hope that he gets married, it is time for him to progress in life. Any way thanks for the ideas and help.
    (Sorry for the rant/relaese/whatever you want to call it)
    Mark

9. kscarguy

kscarguy

First, find out where the bride is registered...then Hijack the list and put in hotrod stores that sell the parts you need...HA!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've driven so many miles in the 48 with an I beam that has given me chest muscle pains on long trips that I flat don't want one in my 48 anymore.

I'm going MII but if I had it to do over again I'd go Jag. They are more than a bit hard to find here in the area I live in though.

Post 10 in this thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=414496 shows one Jag conversion. The thread also gives several links to other threads.

Sid's as good of a job as they do aren't going to be exactly cheap. 300 to drop the axle plus shipping both ways runs the tab up over 400. Then you get a king pin set and disk brake set that is another 4/500 bucks if you go to disk. Then add in a new set of front springs to bring it down a bit more or at least replace the old ones.

11. tjmercury

tjmercury

Dropped axle. Less time, easier, cheaper

12. Jaguar IFS ( series 1,2 or 3 xj6/xj12 ) is a nice simple swap under these Pickups . Gives decent ride , big brakes and power steering all in one easy install .

13. Tell your son not to do it, that's going to save you both money, aggravation, heartache, divorce lawyers and child support. Get your priorities straight man. Then fix your truck.

What's the goal with your suspension, you seem to be all over the place.
    What's your budget ? "Cheap" does not qualify as a one.

14. squirrel

squirrel

I have the stock suspension in my old trucks, it suits me ok. I am quite a cheapskate, and I don't have any burning desire to scrape the bumper on speed bumps.

Having no idea what your priorities are, it's impossible for us to say what you should do. The best we can do is help you figure out what the options are, and what they will end up costing in time/money/etc.

15. New tradition I am afraid. :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter for whatever reason AZbent is investing whatever he is investing in it and he still has a truck to build.

16. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

I would go drop axle.

Go cheap on the wedding, send the couple to vegas for an Elvis wedding!

Attached Files:

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Our Reception was a Pot-Luck. It was great! Everybody brings their best, and takes it home with them. Paper plates, Red party cups, no booze. Cheeeeeeap.
    Jag will be smoooothe, not so cheap to install if you dont do it.
    The cars arent expensive . I got an 88 XJ-6 for 1500, running good.

18. AZbent

AZbent

This truck will be more along the lines of a DD. My FIL is giving me his '70 chevy truck (with power steering), and i would like to utilize that if possible. The bride is the only daughter in her family, so who knows that part will go. I am thinking that the suspension will probably be on hold for a little while. I really want to get that part done and finished though.

19. keep your eye out dropped axle pop up for sale every now and then. I picked up a 4" dropped axle, disk brakes, shocks, power steering, and front leaf springs. all for 400 it was a six hour drive each way. but I got it. check the ad group i think someone is selling a dropped axle and going IFS

20. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Another possible swap is the AMC Pacer front end unit.
    It was a popular swap twenty years ago, but when was the last time you saw a Pacer in the junkyard? Rebuild components may be tough, too.

21. atomickustom

atomickustom

I put a Mustang II on the front of my '53 Chevy car because it was CHEAPER than dropped spindles and a disk brake conversion.

(How? I bought a Mustang II for $200, stripped off the entire front suspension and a few other pieces that I then sold for about $150, which left me with $50 in my suspension. Then I bought a bolt-in Mustang II cross member, swaped over all the Mustang parts, and "viola," power steering, disk brakes, and about 4 inches of drop for a few hundred dollars total investment.)

But in your case (I'm assuming it's a running, driving truck?) I think I'd investigate sinticket's method and just do that and worry about disk brakes later. What could be cheaper than just relocating the axle you have??

22. Go 73- to mid 80's ( later years being metric tho ) Chevy 2wd 1/2tons . Its a bolt in IFS half inch plate spacer on each side. if you look in my photo albums you can see pictures of the swap. PM me with any questions

23. AZbent

AZbent

I have read about power steering pressure issues while using the GM pump with a power rack. What is the deal? I see that Classic Parts sells parts for, I believe a GM power steering gear box, is that true? I have thought about trying to find a parts car to remove the components at the wrecking yard (its too hot here right now-112).

I must admit, you people not only provide info, but also entertainment. Thank you.
    Mark

24. jazz1

jazz1

I have also heard about power steering pressures,,,I have never had a problem with my Fatman M11 IFS, I know nothing about the pumps other than i took mine off a 91 jimmy ,,i asked Fatman rep about the pressure thing,,,he said from what he had seen it was people using old style or pinto rack...I am no expert so buying the M11 kit was easier than trying salvage the parts required out of the boneyard

25. JAG. simple and cheap. do a search here on the HAMB.

26. squirrel

squirrel

I dont know about those early trucks, but on the 55-59 trucks the power steering kit that uses a GM power box and mounts it outside the frame, with a very short drag link and short pitman arm, just doesn't work, according to people who've tried it. The geometry is wrong. If you are familiar with the trucks the box was originally installed on, you might see why, the frame is quite a bit different.

27. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

28. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

For a daily driver? MII would be my choice, without question. You'll get a better ride, no bump steer, power disks, power steering, and better overall performance. Sometimes "cheap and easy" isn't necessarily better.....just cheap and easy. :)

29. I'll start by saying! I catch alot of kidding from friends for going slow on most changes I make on my stuff.

My 2 cents is go for what you really want. May take time, but you'll have what you want and you won't be waffling in the future after it's done. Be a hunter gatherer specially if moneys tight. Get your pile of parts together, then make the jump. Let's face it the time restraints we put on ourselves is out of wants, not neccessarily needs.

I know, the boring opinion!!!!;)