Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm being framed!....Laying out a 34 chassis at the Candy Factory.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedy Canuck, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Well, my sister just bought a truck. So I have something to tow my rolling chassis down with.

And with any luck, by August I'll have the pans, wiring and interior back in the Firebird.

But you could caravan down with the tub! Just borrow your dad's truck to tow it.

2. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I'd rather drive it...

When are you working on this heap again?

Seeing it with the cab on will change things for sure!

3. I can't go down this weekend. But hopefully next weekend if Neil is free and in the shop. I'll have to talk to him and see.

4. A little more progress this weekend...

The rear spring hangers were fabricated and welded to the rear crossmember. With this done, the panhard bar could be located, as well as the upper shock mounts. (The lower shock mounts tie into the plate that sandwiches the spring to the axle.)

Things are starting to come together...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  5. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I really like those shocks.

You're farther along than I am and I hate you...

You'll have a roller really soon.

6. titus

titus

Your frame is looking good.

There will be people that say your shocks are monted wrong blah blah blah, they will work fine, tell em to climb a pole!:)

JEFF

7. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Don't ever remember seeing a panhard bar with leave springs. Can somebody give me some info on that setup???

8. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

You are correct Jeff... Ha Ha :) :) Those few people should look under new trucks and take note of the angles and positions shocks are mounted. The shock and the frame does not know which way the shocks are mounted..... Some times you have to mount components where they are estically pleasing.... I certainly understand you decrease the dampening ability of a shock once you leave vertical....

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  9. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

What information are you looking for ?

Leaf springs have axle wrap under load, etc... AJ may place a pair of slicks on his truck some day at the track or tow his next car with this hot rod. When we build these vehicles we tend to tuck the rear wheels in close to the box, as it is all about the looks, remembering the flexing/shifting of the rear springs under load/cornering, anything will help with locating the rear end in the center position.

The mounting tabs & rod ends on the panhard bar will allow the rear end to move to the rear (slightly), during axle wrap, and the loss of a degree or two of inclination during axle wrap.

This is no different to a panhard bar on the front spring, track locator on a rear ladder bar/four link set up or a wish bone locator for a full on drag race rear suspension....

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  10. Straight from the builder hisself... Thanks for chiming in Neil!

11. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Thanks CANDY MAN. After 71 years, there's always room to learn something. This has been a good build thread. Still looking.

12. You have my attention!!!!! subscribed!!!

13. ty johnson

ty johnson

I've never seen a panhard bar with leaf spring either. I've been to a bunch of stock suspension drags and never saw them. Usually Cal-tracs and double adjustable's. I think it'll bind under seriuos hp.

14. This truck is getting a fairly stock Olds 324 (roughly 200 hp) and 7.00x16 bias ply rear tires with a tread width of less than 5.5".
    If I had plans to subject the rear to more serious power or a wider & stickier tire, then yes I would be concerned about possible axle wrap or bind, but as it stands now, the most likely thing to break loose will be the tires.

Thanks for your input though :)

15. dad-bud

dad-bud

Looking good - interested to see progress.
    Keep them posts a-comin'
    Cheers.

16. keep it coming, by the way, if you get the chance pick up December's issue of hot rod, they have an article in there about the discovery and restoration of sylvester II. it's a show rod, but it's got some cool stuff on it you can learn from. it may be the December issue, i'm still not sure. just look the car up. it will absolutely blow you away.

17. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Rod ends will bind under serious HP ? Sorry I do not understand your statement.:)

A panhard bar does one thing, locate the rear end side to side, that is it. I would agree with you the rear end / panhard bar may bind if I used a solid mount such as a poly end on the bar, however; rod ends rotate in all directions freely....

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  18. CGkidd

CGkidd

Nice build. Can't wait to see more progress.

19. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Lookin' Good Brother! Keep at it! Can't wait to see it on the rolling frame!

20. Thanks guys!

Yeah, me neither. This frame has been a long time coming. I have most of the parts and pieces I need to get it rolling, just a few things to round up yet. :)

21. The way Neil is getting work done on AJ's frame he just might be able to have it ready for your "Cavalcade Car Show" in March Steve...lol. ;)

22. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Haha! That would be great! I told him I'd like to see it in there next year, but Hell if he get's it done before then, I'll make sure to squeeze him in! haha

23. Are you suggesting deadlines for me Mark? :D It will be a rolling frame before March. With any luck, it'll be a rolling frame before New Years. But I'm hoping/planning to be cleaning up the frame to prep for paint by March, so I don't think it will be leaving the garage...

With some luck, I should have something together for next year. But you know me, I don't like to count my dates before they show. :rolleyes:

I've just been slow and steady, no set deadlines... at least until the full truck starts coming together.

24. Just a few teasers...

The engine and transmission are bolted together and on the table. Final placement needs to be decided on, engine mounts made, firewall recessed, X frame in, transmission mount modified, etc.

But the body is on, and that's a start! :D

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      72.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      67.8 KB
      Views:
  25. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Nice man! That's the best way to do it... Well, I'm setting one for you anyway... Or more for me because I want to see it done! hahaha The Hardcore Happening 2013 :D You know you want to bring a car there... haha Keep at it brother!

26. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

27. Good things come to those who wait ;)

28. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Cheese n rice!! For a minute, I thought the bottom part of the cowl was the wall. For a good two or three minutes, I thought you had somehow gotten the back wall of the cab and the roof to sit there without the cowl. Then I remembered that it was painted white and Neil's shop has white walls..

Really thew me off for a minute there. I thought you had become a PhotoShop expert overnight or something.

[​IMG]

29. ^^ ha ha, that messed with my eyes too!

30. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

This is true! haha