Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'm back and need advice on a 23 kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jfoolio, Dec 18, 2015.

1. jfoolio

jfoolio
    from Atlanta

So I've been out commission for a few years to deal with some personal issues and I'm looking to build a 23 T bucket. I am by no means a car guru but I know enough to get by.
    My main concerns are the quality of the kits. Speedways kit seems to simplify it but do they sacrifice quality for profit?
    Ron Pope Motorsports look pretty good but it looks like you have to do some welding yourself. which I'm not real comfortable in my welding abilities.
    A friend recommend Chasis Engineering but they don't have 23's.
    I also found this listing on Craigslist.
    https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5351741133.html
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Spirit cars , California Custom Roadster , Okie street rods ... google on ..
    dave
    If you like buy someone's stalled project , or a complete car hat you can make your own , usually cheaper than the "kit" approach...

3. I have heard good and bad about speedway. I would probably be OK with one but I am comfortable with my welding skills and would not have a problem with just the frame and body and source my other components elsewhere.

There are several kits out there. Here is a quick google search.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Model+T+kits

Let me give you some jaded advice, do not buy the cheapest or the most expensive, shoot for middle of the road pricing and the most basic kit you can find. Middle of the road has been my go to for a long time on about everything and has proven to usually be the best value for my dollar, basic give you the opportunity to make it your own.

4. Around here...that Craigslist add seems like a pretty good start for the money

5. for $3900 that one on Craigslist seams like a good deal..... but i wonder why they painted it before wooding out the body and welding in motor mounts

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That CL add almost looks too good a deal.

7. jfoolio

jfoolio
    from Atlanta

Thanks, all great advice! I looked at spirit and unless I'm looking in the wrong place it's pretty pricey.
    Thanks for pointing that out 36-3window. I'm gonna reach out to the add and ask. I'm leaning towards the CL listing and wanted to make sure it wasn't I wasn't missing something. Ill post my final decesion later. Thanks again!

8. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

I have upholstered a couple of T buckets in my younger days. To wood out the body (already painted) use the 2-part panel glue (epoxy) from a body shop supply. That type of glue is self mixing in the nozzle as it is applied. Trust me, once you glue in your wood, you will have to chisel it out if You made a mistake. Ask me how I Know..... The glue is also much easier than trying to glass the wood on the inside of the body.
    The Craig List Car looks like a good deal and You would be saving shipping expenses on all of those parts. Could be quite a bit of $$$............................................. Good Luck, Jeff