Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm askin' Santa for a good December Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Ken is right here. That may be why the flywheel was cracked in the first place. The cracks were heat cracks from a slipping clutch. If the flywheel had been surfaced before and the pressure plate mounting surface was not machined the same amount, the force from the pressure plate is reduced. That will cause the clutch to slip. I looked through my books here and I couldn't come up with the dimensions for the step. Sorry.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. borntobewild

borntobewild

Well okay ... But will just see what happens. :) Thank you for looking after reached in your book

The cases are, after all 80 years old

3. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Thanks Timberbeast...I pulled the transmission today and it looks like you hit the nail on the head on shortening the nose of the shaft...I appreciate it

4. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

The distance from the clutch face to the pressure plate mounting surface is 1.125 inch. I just measured from a flywheel out of a low mileage vehicle. Good luck.

5. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I looked up the number in one of my books and you are wright.
    The book said

(Resurface face if needed. Must maintain 1.123 inches between clutch disc surface and pressure plate mounting flange. Mill equal amounts from each surface to maintain 1.123 inch dimension.)

you can always put it back in the lathe and cut the entire mounting flange off and run a V8 clutch:D

6. That's good advice- and what I'm going to do with my Chevrolet flywheel.

Those early clutches are heavy, weak and nasty!

7. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Snyder's Model a Parts

I discovered that my flywheel housing is cracked....having trouble finding a good one...I did a search and Snyder's Model A parts sells one....one is aluminum and the other is cast iron...has anyone used them...kinda pricy at $350.00....but probally worth it in the long run....thanks..Bill

8. 97

Where is the crack ? How big ? Just drill each end of the crack and weld it up...

9. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

This housing has a past repair.....I'm wanting to get another....I ran across the new ones and was wondering if anyone has used them....thanks

10. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey I think I mite have a good used one will check for ya if wanted

11. I have one of the Aluminum housings made by Dan Eubanks. I got tired of looking for a good used one at swap meets. My car is very low and I have chipped concrete with it. If the crack is through the bolt hole they will still ring. I had the Al. flywheel housing and the AL. trans adapter polished. You know, "If it don't go chrome it". Stroker McGurk said that. Some of the oldtimers will remember him. Over the years I have heard that they could be repaired by welding but have never seen a welded one. I was told to bolt the housing to a block and weld letting it cool while bolted.
    Ted of "Ted's Floaters" told me he uses his wire feed welder on cast iron. He didn't say what wire so I'm assuming he is using the mild steel wire. Short welds on long cracks. I'm just repeating what he told me, I haven't tried it yet.

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Aw, c'mon man, cut us young guys some slack. Stroker is an icon. I'm hipper than that, even, I know who Arin Cee was.

-Dave

13. You must be a drag race fan. How about Bob McCoy?

14. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Is the one made by Dan the same one sold by Snyders? Are you happy with it? I'm thinking that the new one is the way to go...I spent a week with Stroker last year on a road trip..cool stories Thanks Bill

15. Not sure but as far as I know Dan Eubanks is the only one I've heard of. I'm sure there are a lot of good cast iron housings available. Seems like everyone has 1 or 2. I have used them with cracks but my housing is exposed so I used the polished Al housing. I have whacked the edge of my slab a couple of times and it still looks okay Some times the cast iron housing seem to need a lot of shims to get them aligned.

16. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Where did you purchase the aluminum housing from? I'm thinking that is the way I want to go....Thanks Bill

17. I bought it from Dan Eubanks. I assume he still sells them. He is advertising heads, rods, and crankshafts in this month's FAST. 626 872 4004

18. Me and a HAMBer buddy decided a trip to lunch was in order with our cars the other day, so we brought them out to show my fellow Model A club members. We also were greeted with some waves, thumbs up, and wtf? looks :D:D:D.

I have to go back through and wire everything properly and also put the visor on before I bring her back out again so this is the last update for awhile. I figure you guys are tired of hearing from me anyways so I am going to lurk for awhile fellas. I will bs more when I can give imput on anything interesting I do or see.

Also glad to see Bluto back posting for us all. Get better sir we need your info/knowledge and expertise. Thank you Bluto for letting us learn from you by the way.-Weeks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

That coupe is sweet!

20. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

looks good weeks... I wish I had mine running. Must be nice no snow or salt on the roads O did I tell you that U SUCK
    have fun later Bill

21. trad27

trad27

Too cool, congradulations weeks, its finally looks like a car again. Hmm I wounder who's roadster that is? lol.

22. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

That coupe looks hard as nails. You know...I'd probably leave the visor off.

23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Looks good Weeks. I'm sure your highly motivated to get those "finishing touches " done now. Keep up the good work.

24. What's the matter, did you steal the license plates?

25. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Weeks, great looking car. Have a Happy New Year Banger's.

26. jim galli

jim galli

Curious about a cylinder head that I got with a load of junk yesterday. I've never seen one quite like it. Similar to the B head with C cast in the top? It's a 4 bolt Model A type water pump inlet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Were these part of the Ford post Model A & B production parts availability like the diamond blocks? What was the ratio on these. Thanks!

27. can anyone tell me the cons of using an aluminum v8 flywheel on a b motor with a full pressure counter ballanced crank and a riley on top....in a rail
    will i need all the weight of the stock type flywheel to get me off the line.
    again its a fed with a riley 2 97s a bill steif(sorry about the spelling on the name) cam 39 trans austin healy sprite rear with 4 something gear and 30" tall slicks
    thanks
    and i'll post some pics when i start piecing this beast together
    tk

28. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

29. donrodin

donrodin

30. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Santa came to my house...:D
    [​IMG]

HEY GUYS Have a fun and save night