Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm askin' Santa for a good December Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Dec 1, 2009.

1. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Junk Yard Kid- what size are the tires? Looks about right to me!

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

5.00-5.25-16 fronts 7.50-16lt rears

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For the few Non-Ford banger guys still around. I thought I would post some pictures of the new intake for the Dodge bros.

Attached Files:

5. Elrod

Elrod

Are you going to continue to use the Model A wishbones? The 32 Heavy axle has a 2 inch boss where the wishbones mount, and the A has a 2 1/4". You will have to put a 1/4 inch spacer in there.

A rodder/restorer friend of mine said to use the brake rollers on a mechanical brake set up since they are 1/4" tall. You just drill out the hole size to accommodate the spring perch. Another friend tried to use these, but they are hardened steel and he had an impossible time trying to drill them. He finally gave up.

If you find some reproduction brake shoe rollers, that could work 'cause the metal is softer so you can drill those.

6. Interesting........ I am sure this info will be of help when I try it out. If not I may offer the axle up to someone else for their project. I will have to see how it works with other later wishbones I have also. I have a 36ish bone and a 47-48 bent style bone also unsplit, yes I know there are length differences but I may hold onto the axle also for a later modified project I have in the back of my mind. Thanks ELROD I will take all the info and help I can get. I appreciate it thank you sir.-Weeks

7. Little education on Model A mechanical brake drums for ya fellas. Mainly visual as I am learning as everyone else. I took these pictures awhile ago from my parts score I posted a few months ago and finally got around to finding the pictures.

The notes I wrote on the drums are what I was told by a restorer. The notations are kinda self explanatory. I did not break it down to the months they changed just a general production run broken up from 1928 AR production through the end of production. The differences are in the Hubs mainly. Of note though AA drums are not the same as the passenger car/pickup, some were vented, the 1930-31 AA's had very large drums. Basically I am covering the passenger vehicles until I have pictures to post of the other drums or someone else is nice enough to post them. Feel free to correct me if you see something wrong. I just thought these would be helpful if someone wants to know what they are dealing with.-Weeks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. What is the diameter of throttle bore and that of the port?

9. wayneat

wayneat

Rich, what throttle bodies are you using? It looks great. Are you going to run at World of Speed in 2010?

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The port is 2 inches. The Ford 4.6 mod motor throttle bodies are 2.562 ID. I hope to have the Dodge on the salt either in my roadster or in a new rear engine roadster being built but they started thinking SBC lately. I also hope to loan my Packard/Vega to someone to run at woS.

11. andyg

andyg

looking good weeks! keep us posted.

12. Rich,

Thanks as always for posting- the throttle bodies look good!
    Just a quick question... would they be too much for an Olds 3 port head?

I'm trying to think through some more economical ideas
    (translate as Winfields are too stinkin' expensive).

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I used two of them on my Plymouth but it was a race motor. It started and idled fine. was OK to drive through the stageing lanes. But keep in mind it's a Hilborn type fuel injection as I run it. If you are good with wires and can build an EFI system I am sure it would work fine. If you can live with the Hilborn race type deal it worked for me and I am sure it will again. If you want smaller throttle bodies I have some BMW parts that look the same but are 2 1/2 inch. I have also used F150 TBs which is a two bbl. 2 inch bore and 4 Suzuki 1 7/8 bore tbs off a 750GSXR. If you look on the bay you will see literly thousands of TBs of all sizes for sale. My 4.6 Ford parts went for under $20 or somebody else got them.

Attached Files:

14. Now that is a work of art.

15. That engine is a masterpiece for a dodge banger Rich. I like it man, very nice detail.-Weeks

16. ebtm3

ebtm3

It's good to see that there are still folks like Rich Fox who make what they need rather than buy it. Remember that back in the thirties there weren't a lot of people who could afford to buy an OHV head, they had to make what they needed, or not be competitive. I have heard some stories from guys that raced back then which were unbelievable but probably true-- take two A rods, cut them each off flush with the side of the I beam and weld them together--stronger? --yes-- heavier?-- H**L yes!
    Cut a stock a head on an angle to take more off the valve side than the over piston area, drill stud holes oversize and spotface nut seat square with new qasket surface. Those guys used their heads and worked with what they had.

Herb Kephart

17. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I picked up my lightened Banger flywheel today - 40lbs less ring gear!!!!

so who sells the best replacement ring gear???

18. I want to thank BCCHOPIT for sending me a little something in the mail the other day. It made my day for sure. The Model A club of Bakersfield fellow members I showed got a real big kick outta it and really thought it was awesome also. I took it to the Christmas party/December monthly meeting and it definitely fits the month of December. Bill would you post it on christmas for everyone or maybe sooner? Thanks again Bill.-Weeks

19. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Hey guys - haven't been posting much but wanted to share a nice moment from my commute this morning in the '29. I drive it once in a while to work and today was one of those days. Creeping along at 35 on the road that runs behind the Chandler Fashion mall, cars typically whiz right around me. Today I noticed a white jeep Cherokee, patiently plugging along (at a safe distance). When I got to the light I could see an older woman driver with someone that was possibly her mother in the passenger seat. They were smiling and I could see the elder lady talking with her hands and "showing" the driver how the rumble seat worked. They both had huge smiles on their faces. They passed me a little later and I gave the 90+ lady the Ahooga as she passed. it felt great that the car put a smile on someone's face.

20. Jay Steele told a story about an elderly women walking up as he filled the tank on his 29 tudor at a service station and she informed him that she had lost her virginity in the rear seat of an "A" just like his.

21. For the holidays!! Actually this was from a few years back. [​IMG]

22. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

She must have been a "little gal" :D Those are tiny seats

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  23. I believe the expression that would apply is "Where there is a will there is a way"

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  24. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

This is my first post. I'm collecting parts to build a model A. I need information on a Ford F150 transmission conversion. The tranny is a FT170-RTS, has anyone done the conversion to a AA transmission bell? I know they are available commercially but money is a factor. I am using an open drive line so that is not a problem. The tranny has a 10 spline 1-1/16" dia nose, are there modifications needed to the input shaft as it fits the clutch disk? What about thelength of the input shaft etc.

Thanks for the help,

25. [email protected] <[email protected]> e-mail this guy and ask him to send you his instuctions, They are detailed. It's not all that simple, lots of machining. Good Luck

26. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Thanks
    Email sent. I am using an open drive line into a 47 pickup rear, that should cut tthe machine work to a minimum.

My engine is mild bored .060 over, shaved diamond head, Mallory dizzy and a B Zenith up draft. Planning on a cam and downdraft carb.

27. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Thanks
    Email sent. I am using an open drive line into a 47 pickup rear, that should cut tthe machine work to a minimum.

My engine is mild bored .060 over, shaved diamond head, Mallory dizzy and a B Zenith up draft. Planning on a cam and downdraft carb.

28. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Hey Banger guys. I have the exhaust clamped up to the manifold but I have a few different bracket/clamps. I'm having a bit of a fit trying to figure it out properly. Does it simply clamp to the frame rail or is there supposed to be another part? I couldn't find a single pic anywhere.

29. If it is a stock muffler, there is just one clamp to the frame.

30. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Cool thanks. Yes stock a exhaust. Just wasn't sure if it had anything else. That is a huge help.

Let me throw out another question:

Anyone have a manufacturer and part # for a 6v battery that fits the stock location and uses the stock hold down?