Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm all in...My '38 Chevy PU Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pila38, Aug 2, 2013.

1. pila38

pila38

Haha, I'm trying not become a bronie, although I have to admit, sometimes I catch myself watching. Oh man, I need the weekend to get here fast!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. pila38

pila38

Well, I hope I didn't scare anyone off with the My Little Pony talk. Anyway, as promised, my wife took the kids away for the weekend, so I got something done. I got all the brackets welded up on the rearend. I had the idea that I might take pictures of the whole process, but being only one man, it made it hard to take pictures, heat with the torch, and then weld. Oh well, you'll have to live with the crappy pictures that I did take. Here is the process that I used:
    1. Once everything was set up I preheated the axle tube with a rosebud.
    2. Started on one side of the bracket and welded about an inch, then flipped to the other side of the bracket and welded about an inch going the opposite direction. I continued to flip flop back and forth to each side of the bracket, keeping the heat in.
    3. When the weld was completed 360* on both sides, I used the rosebud to post heat the axle tube again and then let it cool completely.
    4. Then repeat on the other axle tube.
    It took SIX hours to get it complete, but, there is no warpage and I am very happy. It may not win any beauty contests, but its REALLY solid. Thanks for watching, hopefully more to come tomorrow.

Attached Files:

3. pila38

pila38

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376160869.911467.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376160897.291742.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376160915.422821.jpg
    Took awhile to figure the angles, but got the shock bracket gussets all done. The rear is officially done. If I could only say the same for the truck.

4. pila38

pila38

Sorry, pictures seem pretty small. First time posting pics with the phone.

5. lawman

lawman

Nice start fellow. Keep posting !!!!

pila38 likes this.
  6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Great progress eric,pics are great chris

pila38 likes this.
  7. pila38

pila38

Chris and lawman; thanks for the kudos. Here are some parting shots for today. The springs are a little high because of the lack of weight on the back, BUT, notice the lack of jack stands under the frame! Last pic is of the only helper I have. Pabst sure is a good friend.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376178387.183489.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376178409.710869.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376178454.706832.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376178474.795999.jpg

Attached Files:

8. pila38

pila38

I was just checking out my thread on my laptop (self indulgent, I know) and noticed that pics upload so much nicer when using my phone (like in the last post) then they do when you use a real computer (like the first few posts). Why is that?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  9. rustang

rustang

I'm really liking what you are doing.... coming along great!
    Tom

pila38 likes this.
  10. pila38

pila38

Thanks Tom! I checked out your pics too and like your truck a lot. Funny, I was planning on doing orange as well! Can't change that plan either, its one of my daughters favorite colors and she's totally stoked about it. Please, don't take offense!

11. rustang

rustang

Nope, no offense....mine is orange because it was what my wife wanted, she drives it quite a bit.... :)

pila38 likes this.
  12. A guy working alone in a single car garage is the real heart and soul of hot rodding...and it's traditional! Nice work man!

pila38 likes this.
  13. pila38

pila38

Thank you Saxman. I love my garage even if it is tiny, but I do get sick of tripping over everything or having to hurdle over my junk. Probably makes for cheap entertainment for the neighbors though.

14. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

Subscribed...I'm digging where this build is going. Keep on keeping on my friend! I'm going slow too with my two little ones keeping me pretty busy. :) it's all good, it's all about family.

pila38 likes this.
  15. Nice work! I can totally relate to trying to build in a one car garage and constantly tripping over everything. I am doing the same thing with my '37 looking forward to your updates.

pila38 likes this.
  16. Ghost28

Ghost28

You are doing a great Job with the time restraints and lack of space. I have 3 baby grandaughters monday through friday so I know how it is. I once chopped a 51 merc 4 door in a one car garage, yes the neighbors were amused...John

pila38 likes this.
  17. pila38

pila38

Thanks guys, all the kind words help to keep me focused and building.

18. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Nice work on the rearend. Where did you find a dropped axle for an early chevy pickup?

pila38 likes this.
  19. Great work so far! I feel for you having to do the work in a single stall garage. I do all mine in a two stall and still run out of room. Keep it up and you'll be driving it before your goal but your right family first. They grow up too quick!
    Tom

pila38 likes this.
  20. pila38

pila38

Thanks again guys! Two car stall! Shoot, I could dance a jig and weld the chassis up at the same time!

21. pila38

pila38

Never outlined my plans for you guys, but the truck will run an edelbrock tr1x tunnel rammed sbc with a Spaulding/Grant flamethrower ignition through a Muncie m20 and ending at a '57 Olds posi rear (probably 4.10, but I have a set of 4.88s) Interior will remain mostly stock, but with Kirkey vintage seats, and a full compliment of SW gauges. Oh, and the sun tach in my avatar. Also, I have a set of Tardel swing pedals I'm going to run with an IHC 1" bore brake/clutch MC converted to brake/brake use. Clutch will be mechanical. I'm still on the fence with a roll bar, but am leaning towards it for racing. Also planning on a moon style tank in the bed, and toying with the idea of dual tanks. Tires and wheels will be pie crust cheaters with chrome steelies all around, but I may run something different on the front. As of right now, that is the plan in my head, but here's some pics of what I accomplished with the small amount of time I had this morning, got the shock crossmember all welded in. Pics won't load, I'll try again later. Enjoy you Labor Day everyone!

22. pila38

pila38

Here are the pics. The welds on the bottom have to be redone, I got in a funky position and rushed to get them done, and they sucked. Otherwise, I'm happy.

Attached Files:

23. pila38

pila38

Another quick update:
    You didn't think I was going to leave that ladder bar crossmember like that did you? I may be dimwitted, but not that dimwitted. I got the gussets all cut out and got the right side tacked in. I ran out of time to tack in the left side. To finish it off, I'll final weld all the gussets to the crossmember and frame, and then fish plate over everything and about 3" up the frame with 1/8" sheet to really tie it together. Should be no worries after that. Here's some pics so you get the idea.

Attached Files:

24. jhonyjeep

jhonyjeep
    BANNED
    from indonesia

its a nice work , i saw your thread. there are 41-46 chevy truck pair of lamp. can you deliver to jogja indonesia. thank:)

25. shadams

shadams

Dont remember how I found this thread, but glad I did. Nice job on everything. I too, am a 1 man band. And just had a little one so the build has slowed down a bit.

pila38 likes this.
  26. pila38

pila38

Thanks Shadams. Progress has ground to a halt though. I went back to work in September and have only been out in the garage once in the last two months.

27. Nice build you got going on, like the fact you are planning on racing it !

pila38 likes this.
  28. pila38

pila38

Thanks Swade!

29. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Nice build, my 2 daughters are finally old enough so I can spend more time in the garage. Now that they are old enough though, I am now spending my time fixing there cars, so still no time for mine.

pila38 likes this.
  30. pila38

pila38

Thanks mcmopar, hopefully the boxing pics were clear for you. If not, I can get you others. Quick update as well. Since school restarted I've been in the garage 2 times, not ideal. However, I did manage to get all the gussets for the ladder bar crossmember final welded. I'll post pics when I finish the fish plates.