Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm all in...My '38 Chevy PU Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pila38, Aug 2, 2013.

1. pila38

pila38

So, I feel as though I should probably contribute a little more to this place than I have. So I'm going to do a build thread...reluctantly. Don't expect any fancy work like you might see from VonHartmann, Langy, or ElPolacko. I'm just a dude in a single car garage with a very small amount of money and even less time (three little girls will do that to you!). Anyway, plans are to have a sixties ish style street/strip build. I'm doing what I can, when I can, with what little talent I have, and all by myself. I'll put up what I have tonight, but don't expect frequent updates with tons of progress...I work rrrrrreeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy sssssslllllloooooooowwwwwllllly. I'm a thinker.;) Here's a couple pics of where I started, I'll do other posts with the steps I've finished so far.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. pila38

pila38

Here are the pics of sandblasting and a temporary finish. I'll actually remove it all down to bare metal again when I'm all done Final welding everything. I can't leave the bare metal out in the NJ humidity.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  3. Are you sandblasting inside? HRP

4. pila38

pila38

Then...I boxed the frame. What I fail to show you is that, I didn't check for square first, so I had to use a come-a-long when it was all done and pull it back into shape. All is well now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

5. pila38

pila38

The front end went in and the cab went on.

Attached Files:

6. pila38

pila38

Yes I am. Not my first choice, but I live in a very small neighborhood. The neighbors would not have appreciated the nastiness. I did wear a respirator and hood in the name of safety. In the name of cleanliness, I'm still finding that crap in nooks and crannies of the garage.

7. pila38

pila38

Motor plate. I also have a trans mount, but apparently never took any pics of it. Got the pics...finally.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  8. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

I feel your pain with the no time and 3 little kids. Keep at man. Lookin good so far.

pila38 likes this.
  9. Looks good so far....One step at a time. Just stick with it and you'll finish when you finish. I've done more than one project when I had very little time and very little money but they were all completed eventually.

pila38 likes this.
  10. pila38

pila38

Where the rear suspension should be. And then...some rear suspension. Sorry about the lack of traditional so far. I really want the truck to function well on the track, so a lot of what I chose for the chassis is more modern. It gets better...I promise...I think.

Attached Files:

11. pila38

pila38

A couple of mock up pics with fenders and running boards to make sure the wheels were centered.

Attached Files:

12. pila38

pila38

And then where I'm at today. Finalized the rear upper shock mount. Next weekend my wife is taking the kids away, so I'm hoping to get the brackets all welded up on the rearend. That's it for tonight folks, thanks for watching. Oh, sorry for the brevity, it's hard to sum up (and remember) what I've done over four years time (yes, four years. Family comes first.). I'll try to be a little more in depth as I go on.

Attached Files:

13. pila38

pila38

Thanks Moose. My goal is to drive it by the time I'm 40. I'm 33 now and I'm not quite sure if I'll make it!

14. pila38

pila38

Thanks man! Its tough with the kids, but at least my wife is good about it and makes sure I get my time in the garage.

15. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I like it. Don't knock your work man ,It looks clean and simple, just like a drag car/truck should. Sometimes guys get hung up on the most decorative or look what I can do brackets. A clean and simple chassis that works is way more appealing to me. A car/truck that hauls is more of what 60's drag vehicles were about. Form way after function.

Meltdown Drags 2014 July 19, 20

pila38 likes this.
  16. pila38

pila38

Thank you. I definitely subscribe to the K.I.S.S. method.

17. I think you are doing a great job!

pila38 likes this.
  18. Very nice work. Keep at it. You''ll get there.

pila38 likes this.
  19. Hell, it's a truck,
    i'll watch.
    I like what i'm seeing so far

pila38 likes this.
  20. pila38

pila38

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. pila38

pila38

Does anyone know if these GM truck front axles are cast or forged? I need to know so I can make the front shock mounts soon.

22. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Forged.

Meltdown Drags 2014 July 19, 20

23. pila38

pila38

Thanks, that's what I thought, but the parting line on top made me second guess.

24. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man you're doing a great job! Family is always first and you're doing awesomely on your truck when you have time! I love what you're doing and will be watching!

pila38 likes this.
  25. pila38

pila38

Thank you! I'm trying my best.

26. Lookin' good man. Keep on truckin'!

pila38 likes this.
  27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

subscribed keep the pic s comin

pila38 likes this.
  28. pila38

pila38

Thanks Cactus!

29. pila38

pila38

I'll try to keep 'em comin' as fast as I can. Seems like I've been spending a lot of time saving Twilight Sparkle who keeps flying behind the couch. Is the HAMB a good place for a My Little Pony reference? Oh well, I'll get out to the garage again soon I hope!

falcongeorge likes this.
  30. I have two little ones and a supportive wife also and still it has taken over a year to do a bolt in IFS that the magazines say can be done in a weekend. Family first, the cars are no fun without them. Have fun, it looks great and Ill be watching.

Are you becoming a "Bronie" I have a 4 year old girl so I know that "Friendship is Magic"

falcongeorge and pila38 like this.