Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm a Lurker but I can change if, I have to, I guess

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JDB, Oct 16, 2005.

1. JDB

JDB
    from WI,USA

Howdy, this is a shout out to all the lurkers out there. I hardly ever post but I take a look at threads and try to learn things.

I also spent my weekend making an attempt to flame my car I think the hood came out ok but the fenders and sides are so-so but I'm not done yet. I still have to put finishing touches on the flames and maybe add a design on the doors but I'm not sure what and make my own hood ornament and this and that and so on and so forth but here's where it is now.

Laugh if you want too its my first flame job and I did it in my parents front yard so it looks okay to me. Yeah I know, at 21 I'm just a dumb kid around here (but thats another reason I don't post as I don't have the knowledge)

here's a link to see the picture of my 1950 dodge but I'm also gonna try to post a pic
    http://www.stoutautoclub.com/index....Itemid=24&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=135

the link has a better pic if this one's too fuzzy or doesn't show up at all.

Also anybody have pics of flamed 1950 dodges or late 40 dodges and plymouths as they are essentially the same because other that my halfass job I've only seen two others.

Well all you lurkers out there and any of my buddies I've met along the way shout out and be heard.

BEWARE THE FURY OF THE QUIET MAN

Attached Files:

2. mtd

mtd
    from NY

looks pretty good especially for a first attempt... keep at it..

3. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Those look hot!

Shoot, with talent like that at your age, think what you'll be doing when your older.

Each project lets you hone your skills....good work!

4. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Looks pretty good, I think if the licks on the sides had the same length as the ones on the roof it'd make a world of difference though. I've never seen anyone do a perfect flame layout on their first try though. Mine was on a lawnmower and it looked like damnit!

5. JDB

JDB
    from WI,USA

Whew glad the flames don't look too bad.

Putting a little more length on those flames is a good idea, I didn't originally because I had an idea for the door but I have an airbrush so I could probably lengthen those up without too much trouble.

Maybe I was just too tired to appreciate the fact that they weren't too bad.

6. Bugman

Bugman

Looks good. If you don't have plans for the doors anymore, I'd extend the bottom licks at least to teh rear of the doors. Or wrap them around the door design. What kinda paint did you use?

7. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

A+ for the red green reference

8. Lionheart

Lionheart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOW YA GOT TO 'OUTLINE' EM IN DUCT TAPE, KEWL. :cool: :cool:

9. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

JEDI
    you are a ruler
    Tuck

10. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Looks pretty good man! My only advice would be to make the licks of the flames a little longer, and make the fade into the orange start a little sooner and make it a little more gradual of a fade....really good first try though! Keep up the good work...from one young guy to another (I'm 29).

11. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

here is my latest flame job... im 26.... keep it up.... practice makes perfect... and yes i know its a new truck just showing the flames....

Attached Files:

12. JDB

JDB
    from WI,USA

Hey Tank, I used PPG. And boy did sam's auto supply make money off me.

Whassup Tuck how'd the Roadster show go?

Here's a good pic from the front hope it looks good.

Attached Files:

13. JDB

JDB
    from WI,USA

Hey nice flames and I have a new truck too just not flamed

14. farna

farna

I didn't paint the flames on my car, chickened out on the paint (and was running out of time to finish) and had that sprayed -- flames and all. I did spray the primer and single stage enamel in the engine bay and interior though.

I didn't originally want the side flames to lick past the front doors (four door wagon). But after discussing it with the painter, and looking at a rough taped flame on the side, it really wouldn't look right without a lick or two extending onto the rear door. I was thinking about repairs later mainly (base/clear coat, something I'll not likely do again -- single stage urethane can be repaired way to easy, base/clear is a PITA!). One less panel to fix if body work was needed!

Pics at http://groups.msn.com/amcsforever2/farnasramblers.msnw.

15. straycat62

straycat62
    from Indiana

My buddy just chopped a '49 Dodge. It looks really sweet and I'll try to post pics.

16. Doc.

Doc.
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin' good. This is how you learn. You're not lurkin' you're workin'.

Doc.

17. dixiedog

dixiedog

Nice symmetry - now that makes a good flame job (IMHO)

Flame styles are a signature of the painter, each one is different in there own little way; the length of the licks, the fatness or tightness of the body of the flame, where they start and end, overlapping or not. Keep at it and you will develope your own signature style. Some people will like it others won't.

Remember what a painter once told me when I was your age "there isn't a paint fuck up in the world that 120 grit won't fix" :D

18. JDB

JDB
    from WI,USA

HaHA That's funny, and a good piece of wisdom.

19. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Not bad for a first try. Neat old Dog-dge. My first flames were with a brush,and rust-o-leum:eek: Looks like Poor Boy material to me(a complement):DSparky poor Boys ccTN

20. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Jumping in and posting IS the best way to learn. Sure it won't replace hands on (and isn't supposed to) but it will get you thinking. I post and offer opinions whenever I think I might have something to add. Sometimes what I write is wrong and sometimes it isn't. The point is that you can LEARN just as much screwing something up as you can getting it right - matter of fact that's WRONG!!! You can LEARN MORE from screwing something up than getting it right the first time. Building cars for some is like throwing darts - some things just hit the bullseye and we never know why it worked - just that it did. But,.....ENTER the ultimate screwup!!! We are now forced to jump in there and fix it - learning something extra in the process is inevitable.

Don't apologize to anyone for being young and certainly don't apologize for your work!!! Your flames look nice - if YOU'RE not happy withthem then tweak them until you are. YOU are the only critic that matters.

A flame job that's too perfect might impress some, but looses a certain amount of character if you ask me.

I've done virtually all of my own work since I got started....and what does this mean??? It means I screwed up alot of stuff!!!! But!!! today I screw up less!!!

The fact that you are doing your own work speaks volumes for you!!!! Work to continue to impress yourself and you'll never go wrong.

Cool car - cool flames - vintage hot rod style all the way!!!!

21. JDB

JDB
    from WI,USA

Well I am my harshest critic, most of the time.

The more I look at em the more I like em and I've got some ideas in the works.

I think I was just a little pissed off that the masking tape lifted some of my flat black off but I fixed that fairly well and will fix it better later.

Now I gotta figure out that retarded gyromatic transmission (i won't buy another semi-automatic transmission as long as I live.. unless I can figure them out), but the damn thing won't shift I drive and take my foot off for the shift (after shifting from low to high gear range) but it won't do it and if I try to go faster before the shift the engine will cut out between 35 and 40 I don't get it.

I should start a new post for that question though but I don't have time right now.

22. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Are you game to rebuild the gyro-matic,or change it for something more modern/ simpler? I have some old manuals on gyro-matics I can copy for you if you want. sparky:D

23. El Bombero

El Bombero

I think what I like most about your flames is that you did it!!!! So many people are afraid to try things for fear of failure. Keep it up and have confidence in yourself. NICE JOB!

Mike

24. JDB

JDB
    from WI,USA

Rebuilding a tranny is a little beyond my skills right now, i know confidence is key but its also the time factor. Once winter hits I might find time though,

Personally i like old school tech and would rather just swap a manual tranny from the era.

I don't know about the manuals cause I don't know if its worth the trouble.
    I sure appreciate the thought though and if any have troubleshooting guides I'd be interested.

Plus I'm gonna run by the library and see if any library's in my area might have books on it, hell up here in the great white North it seems all the buildings we have are either churches, bars, or libraries and I'd wager each one has its own particular brand of wisdom.:D

25. JDB

JDB
    from WI,USA

I also forgot to mention that ther's a bunch of exposed wires under the hood and I have a theory that the car sends an impulse to shift that hits another wire which stalls out the system.

I taped them up awhile ago and it seemed better but then the tape starting falling off, I'm gonna start trying to fix that tommorrow and see what happens. I don't know if it'll help but what the heck.

26. Spook

Spook

Very well said. My feelings exactly.

Look at it this way you have already done a better job than probably 99,999 out of 100,000 people.

27. Mel

Mel

Hey Jed, good to see you working on the old dodge again. The flames are looking pretty good there.... keep it up!

You should look up katzenhammer (Justin) to see if he's got a manual for his car.... might have some info about your gyromatic in there.

28. JDB

JDB
    from WI,USA

Hey mel how's california? I'll have to look up everybody and everything to fix this dang thing.

Do you have your dodge in california?

29. BluesHound

BluesHound

This may be of interest depending on where in WI you are located.

I stopped by Metro Auto Sales on Velp Ave. in Green Bay yesterday to get a brush, and saw that Jack Giachino is doing a custom paint seminar/class there this Tuesday (10/25). It is an all-afternoon thing that includes some painting, I think you get to take your work home with you but I don't know for sure. Let me know if you're interested and I can call Jack for more info.