Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'm a dumb ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oakmckinley, Apr 18, 2017.

1. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Ok I'm not afraid to admit it...I'm a dumb "blank" sometimes.

Anyway I was installing a new battery and new cables and was chatting while doing it.
    I unknowingly reversed the positive and neg cables, had the positive grounded and had the neg as the juice side.
    Haha
    Once I realized I corrected it. My question is could I have fried the voltage regulator? It ran fine for a short while but now it's overcharging?

Thanks in advance!

wicarnut likes this.
  2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Contacts in the VR might be stuck together. Remove the cover and take a look at them.

wicarnut likes this.
  3. If the point are stuck in the voltage regulator. You might get away with filing them down a bit. It happened in my 56 buick wagon, it was over charging and that was the problem. Filed them down and it went back to normal charging.Good luck with it Bruce.

wicarnut likes this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

Don't be so hard on yourself, You are not dumb, it's called, gaining experience, we ALL have stories on these adventures of "O-Shit" did I really do that. Funny part is that it comes full circle when you become a senior, it starts all over AND you can't find what you just hand in your hand and where did I put that.

Bruce Fischer likes this.

5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Most do not admit their "oh sh..!! moments, we've all made them.
    Learn by it.

wicarnut likes this.
  6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Depending on your setup you may just need to repolarize the system.

AVater likes this.