Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm A Car Guy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    from Austin, TX
    Staff Member

2. I agree with Ryan's and will add two more:

5. Gray Baskerville- Hot Rod and R&C magazines (although I'm told he wasn't much of a mechanic).

6. Peter Egan- Road & Track and Cycle World magazines and several books.

3. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

A great list for sure! I would like to add Dave Freiburger to it. He resurrected Hot Rod and is a real gearhead to boot.

Also, I think that A. B. Shuman should be on the list.

Last, I would add Gordon Elliott White. His compilations on the Offy and Miller stuff is fantastic. Whether or not he is much of a mechanic, I have no idea, but he sure knows his old racing stuff. So I would like to include him.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

David Frieberger (sp?) is right up there, for me.

5. I'll play along too, if ya don't mind:
    7. LeRoi "Tex" Smith- One of the first to make tech articles less dry and more fun to read.
    8. Chris Martin- My personal favorite drag racing reporter.
    9. Cole Coonce- Keeping Hunter S. Thompson's Gonzo style alive and vibrant.
    10 Pete Millar- Along with Tom Hunnecutt, put the concept of the graphic novel (read: Car Toons) smack into the gearhead realm.

6. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

I want to add a second vote for A.B. Shuman.

7. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

don`t forget, Heny Gregor Felsen .

8. eddie1

eddie1

I have to agree with Just Gary with the addition of Peter Egan. My wife is an avid reader who has no interest in anything else within the pages of Road & Track reads Peter Egans's column every month just to experience his talent.

9. X2 for Peter Egan; I'll add Rowan Atkinson (yeah, the 'Blackadder' guy) - he's a really funny writer. -bill

10. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Dude, if you won't call yourself a writer as well as a car guy then how about 'wordsmith'?

You've got it too.

11. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I thought the early Custom Rodder magazines were great, I had been reading a lot of Hot Rod and Car Craft through high school and then I fliped through a copy of C-R at the store saw a whole new side of things, and that issue also had a quick picture of my favorite band Rancid ( why? I dont remember ) and I soon realized there was a whole 'nuther side to the old car hobby than just muscle cars.

12. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

I liked Bill Burmham. Thought his writings were humorous and right on...

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

14. oaktree

oaktree

Being a writer myself, I can attest that writing well is harder work than digging a ditch with a dull shovel. It is a constant effort in self improvement. It is the ability "to kill puppies". This quote can from a guy who is a great writer but known best for his work in acting, Tommy Lee Jones. Writing is making something concrete out of nothing but what comes from the mind. I think Ryan has done a great job on the Journal and eagerly await the books that will come in the future. I realize this post is quite prejudiced, but feel that I can say this for I am Ryan's Poppa.

15. Gerg

Gerg

I hope this means Ryan isn't going to punk out on us and stop writing lol

I read JJ front page normally as soon as it comes out. so i would say you are a writer also

16. Ryan, as usual I agree with your thoughts. One of the things that drives me nuts is that as someone who works in the Car Industry here in Detroit is that so many writers today barely know anything about cars...you can spot them real easy...they're the ones that parrot the OEM's press releases and rarely deviate from the script, thus the term 'buff mags' as they have become experts at buffing and shining the BS that frequently comes their way from the marketing and advertising departments and calling it 'journalism'.
    Maybe it's not exactly HAMB material as some of these are sporty-car mags, but I've always felt that through the 70's and 80's many car magazines had good writers that were real car guys....Peter Egan, Brock Yates, Chris Economacki (Nat'l Speed Sport News) Wally Parks (ran Hot Rod mag, remember?), Pat Bedard (raced the Indy500), Don Sherman (drove at Bonneville), PJ O'Rourke, Rob Walker (owned an F1 team), Paul Frere (raced F1),Joe Scalzo, Joe Rusz, Gray Baskerville, Tex Smith, CJ Baker, Caroll Smith, Smokey Yunick, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a whole bunch, but I do lament the 'good old days' when the print mags were as provocative as the Web is today...before they all seemingly became 'buff mags' and sold their editorial souls for advertising dollars.
    As for today, you'll find most of the car guys who can write are on the Web...one of my favorites to read weekly to follow my industry is Peter Delorenzo of autoextremist.com...cutting edge news with great commentary. Car guys that can write well are still out there but there's usually an inverse relationship of honesty versus advertising revenue.

17. sutliff fire

sutliff fire

This gives me a great list to pursue.
    Thanks

18. Steve Hendrickson and definitely Frieburger.

19. Agree with the list and Peter Egan, plus Pete Lyon and Henry Manny.
    This will be another great thread.

20. This will be a great thread to keep tabs on.
    There's a guy who goes by the handle of Wrenchski who's always pretty fun to read. In fact anyone associated with the KerosineBomb bunch is worthwhile...

21. llonning

llonning

Ryan, I don't think that you are giving yourself enough credit. I havbe read most of the ones you listed. Believe it or not I would rather read your articles than anyone elses when it comes to automotive related items. My opinon, also true.

22. TRuss

TRuss

This is a pretty comprehensive list. I can't think of any one to add. I will say that I think Peter Egan is great. I started reading his columns in Road&Track when I was about 13. Having never driven and actual car or motorcyle at that time it just made the flames burn hotter for automobiles and adventure.

23. Terry

Terry

I was going to mention Bill if no one else did. I loved reading what Bill had to say, and still miss his words. Remember his Baby blue roadster?

24. Slide

Slide

I've really enjoyed Pat Ganahl's stuff too. It was his writing that made a poor college boy pony up for a subscription to R&C. I haven't always agreed with everything he wrote, but his writing definitely made me think about the subject and solidify my own opinions.

I also gotta give props to Gerry Burger. Definitely a car guy, and an entertaining style of writing. I've had the opportunity to meet him (after enjoying his words for nearly a decade prior) and hang out on several occasions, and his writing is very much like who he is in real life.

25. Petejoe

Petejoe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Zoar, Ohio

Like it or not...some young punk 10-15 years from now will be adding you to this list of car guys who can also relate in written word.
    Not for your popularity of creating the best traditional forum in the "world".
    But for creating a mindset of traditionality in the "word".
    Time to write a book Ryan.

26. Gigantor

Gigantor

I find myself stuck in the middle. I would love to put food on the table with words ... or with cars. I have no illusions that I am great at either of them, but that doesn't stop me from trying and learning. That was a pretty profound quote.

27. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Ryan-- I'm with you about the Don Montgomery books-- Those raw, black and white pics of how it truly was "back ten" blew my mind. I wanted a roadster so bad after that!

I would also add Mike Bishop who wrote the "How to Build a Traditional A-V8" book with Vern. He's a true car guy and has a way with words and storytelling.

Nice article!

jay

28. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Here's what you said...

"So if Steve’s quote is fact, and I believe it is, then the chances of me being a REAL writer are pretty slim. It’s a disappointing realization for a guy that essentially makes his living with words, but it is one that I have come to terms with. See, I believe writing for the sake of writing is art and writing for the sake of communicating to a specific audience is a science/art mix. I’ll never be an artist with words, but I believe I can communicate to my audience as well as the next guy. I can live with that."

I disagree with that, Ryan. You have written things that have literally made me laugh out loud at work, as well as shared points that made me ponder a deeper side in the automotive environment. You've written things that, at least once or twice, have made my eyes mist over (again, at work, in a shop full of guys).
    When you can get your ideas across something as stupid as a computer to your audience, and elicit an intended response, you are in fact an artist with words.

Funny thing is, most artists I know are always disappointed in their own work, they're their own worst critics. Another reason to recognize the artist in you.

Not ass-kissing, just calling it as I see it.

Anyway, back to the list of writers, thanks for the incentive to pursue these guys' works further. I'm always up for learning more stuff.

29. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I always considered myself a writer... not professional... not great... but I can string together a few good sentences now and again. (although you wouldnt know it by reading my posts)

You, Ryan, are way better than I could ever hope to be. You are a writer.

30. Deadender60

Deadender60

“You can find writers and try to make them car guys or your can find car guys and try to make them writers. Finding someone that is both is more than rare.”

I think it is even more rare to find someone that is a car guy, writer,and photographer... which Steve is... and Ryan I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks you are a car guy and writer... give yourself a little more credit.

-Juan