Register now to get rid of these ads!

Illinois Residents that have gotten "The Tax Due Letter"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I hope the Mods are ok with this But I finally got one too, and although it didnt take much to resolve the issue. I find it offensive and probably criminal to basically be accused of fraud and tax evasion after filling out and submitting all required forms and documents only to have the IL Dept of Revenue "lose" my Bill of Sale that was stapled with my check and RUT 50 form. They didnt "lose" my check or my Rut 50 just my Billl of Sale.
    I would like to keep a running tab of all those that this has happened to.
    I think I am going to file a complaint with the Attorney Generals Office if I can come up with enough documentation on this.
    So if you have submitted all the proper forms and documents and then got a letter claiming you owe a rediculous amount of sales tax and penalties please post here I will use PM for further info if needed

2. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

I got one last year Mike. Sent in "another" copy of my bill of sale and incuded a picture of it when I bought it. Never heard back from them. F-'em they can pound sand I say.

3. outcast13

outcast13

Not exactly but close --- bought the wife a H2 Hummer, paid all the fee's and taxes when I registered it. Got a letter from IL stating I need to pay more taxes on it, not just the tax that I paid at the DMV for the year built (ie 2004). IL can go screw themselves !! Said "luxury tax" or some BS, whatever !! Have a nice day !!

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks Jeff they are really just trying to dupe people into paying more tax than they should, but there is no way they are losing everybodies copies of their Bill of Sale they are with intent throwing them away and sending out these letters in hopes of people paying this rediculous amount (BTW they Valued my shoebox at 30,000 dollars sight unseen) they also wait a few monthes to send out the letter, Im guessing in hopes that the cars will be in much nicer condition then when they were actually purchased so when you have to get an appraisal they will obviously appraise at a higher value

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

There must be a administrative directive regarding this, with collusion involved.

If I was an Ill resident I would take an ad in the newspaper; BE A WHISTLEBLOWER. Stop Government waste. WOULD LIKE TO INTERVIEW ANY STATE EMPLOYEE INTERSTED IN DIVULGING INFORMATION THAT HAS KNOWLEDGE OF AN INTERNAL MEMO REGARDING .........etc. etc.

6. bobblehead

bobblehead

My brother recieved a letter in the mail regarding this, he resubmitted the form and that was the last we heard....

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rule one is to always have photo copies of everything you turn in and outside of the title give them the photo copies. Keep the original papers in a build book.

As Russco mentioned photo documentation most likely will solve the "that car is worth more than you paid" deal. And if it has a title, transfer the title then rather than waiting until the car is finished to transfer it. Unless you can't transfer the title or register an inoperative vehicle in your particular state waiting can only cause problems.

Guys who are afraid of their wives finding out what they spent on the car will argue but I have always been an advocate of keeping every receipt for everything I buy for a project car in a folder for that car. It solves the "what was that part number on the master cylinder" thing along with helping with your argument with the tax people when they claim your car is worth 30,000 and you are going on the 11,761.53 that you have bill of sale and receipts for in your folder.

But yes almost every state, county and city is looking for every way they can to get more tax money out of the working people with the cash flow problems they have now. And enthusiast cars and "luxury" vehicles are a prime target.

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yes its fairly simple to resolve (if you have your bill of sale) but for those that have misplaced or lost the bill of sale or just dont know any better you either pay the tax or get an appraisal then pay tax on that amount. I wonder how many people fall for it and just pay the tax bill?

9. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

Just a thought when you make a copy of your bill of sale, get it notarized so there isn't any doubt it's legit.

10. About 8 guys in our club have been hit with this along with titleing problems;..I'm still wonderin why SEMA or someone hasn't stepped in to help clear up this mess.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  11. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

I think they started......

12. Great idea. Unfortunately we are in a state of Blagojevich at the moment and can't locate any honest state employees. Please hang up and try again. :D

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It not a question of the legitimacy of the Bill of sale they are not required to be notorized. The problem is they (IL Dept of Revenue)are literally taking legal documents that are proof of the tax due and throwing them away then sending out rediculous tax bills with late fees and penalties.
    when I questioned them about the Bill of sale I had already submitted they said it must have been lost. Bullshit, they didnt lose it, they threw it away!Just like they have thrown hundreds of others away but they only lose the bill of sale never the check or the Rut 50 tax form just the bill of sale?
    I'm no legal expert but this has to be very illegal and there must be some type of directive from higher ups for this to take place on the scale it seems to be happening. What i need though is to be able to show that this is happening on a large scale and only with older collector cars so if you or someone you know has had this happen to you I need you to contact me.

14. skirtless33

skirtless33

I got a 32 3w in 2006 and they wanted more money lucky I had a bill of sale. That proves it just didn't start last year. Bill

15. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I bought my 34 Chevy in June of 2008. It had a clear Illinois title, that matched the original VIN tag, (which was still on the car). I sent all of the paperwork in, (with the correct price), no later than a week after it was purchased. The new title showed up after about 3 months. However, 6 months later "The Letter" from the ILL. Dept of Revenue showed up, stating that I owed $2000 in back sales taxes.

When I originally sent the title transfer in, I did not include a bill of sale. However, with a clear title, a bill of sale should not be required. After the tax due letter showed up, I sent a bill of sale in, and haven't heard anything since....Of course it's only been 2 years???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :eek::eek::eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  16. specialk

specialk

I lived in Illinois quite a few years ago and can tell you that there weren't any honest employees then either. That's actually the benefit to this deal, if they haven't been greased, they're far more likely to hold a grudge (and therefore talk to you!)

17. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Mike I got one last summer for my 1928 Model A. I just sent in my letter last week with an appraisal of the car. I was told thursday nite by another guy with a 35 Chevy coupe (he has been trying to get his car titled since last December) that my letter and appraisal will not satisify the tax man. If he is correct they will send another letter claiming they want credentials from the company that did my appraisal.
    Needless to say I have done everything they asked. My car is older than 20 years old so I paid what the form stated. Next they asked for an appraisal from a car dealer, I sent that next. Geezzz.....

18. ride00007

ride00007
    from Illinois

I think this is the norm now for illinois. There are many threads on here discussing manditory serial number inspection for any pre-48' vehicle. Not sure if they do that for transferring in state titles but everyone keeps saying that it's happening for all pre 48 vehicles with out of state titles. The tax bill... been happening for years and it's wrong. They basically call you a liar since you sign a sworn statement at the time of transfer.
    Like you... I tried to submit a copy of my bill of sale for my 32. I paid $12,000... clearly under the 15,000 sales tax threshold. THe dmv would not let me submit any additional documentation. I told them that let's all save the state the trouble and please include it with the sales tax form and they refused. They told me to just wait and deal with it if I got the letter. Ha! Two months later I got the letter. I replied back with a copy of the bill of sale and they they sent an acknowledgement back saying my balance due was 0. How nice... It's just plain wrong.

19. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Chicago ?????????????????????????// bad from ever

20. Mac_55

Mac_55

Mike , i got one last year on my shell of a 2 door 55 i bought . I sent them back a latter that said " if you think my car is worth 30,000 then i am going to make the state a deal right now , ill sell it to you for 20k and you can turn around and sell it for 30 and pocket the 10 grand!!" then i litterally blew my nose on the back of the letter they sent , and mailed it back , Never heard another word.

My brother got one 2 weeks before me for his 67 nova

21. godspeedbear

godspeedbear
    from golden

Yep, I got one too.. 750 bucks in taxes, $86 bucks in penalties AND They wanted interest!!!

Problem resolved by sending them ANOTHER copy of the bill of sale... I've got more copies of the b of sale.. and I have kept copies of all the paper work, including the appraisel.. :p

DID I SAY THAT IT PISSED ME OFF?

22. I'm just curious if anyone has checked the return address, and the "make payable to" information on those requests.
    Anyone could access those records as public information and send those letters. Its a fucked up world, so I'm just askin'...

JOE:cool:

23. Perfect example of government run amok. Bunch of weasels.

24. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I most likely will get one, I bought a wreck with nothing on it and had to bond vehicle to get a new issued title. The wreck was 1500, Well they make you get an appraisal and only when the car is finished. God damn the number that this guy appraised my vehicle for was way up there, 45K. I tried to wiggle but he said thats what it was. Now I'll tell you what, if that car brought 20 in this junk economy well that would be right. I paid for a lot of parts locally so I paid sales tax, Chicago sales tax of 10 1/4 too. I sent the state the RUT 50 and a check for 25 bucks per their forms. I'm worried they will just send me to the collection agency. I will bet these people are going to send me a tax bill for the appraised value of this vehicle. Are you telling me that you guys just sent them a photo copy of your not notarized bill of sale and they took that number and they left you alone? I have a small suit case full of documents and every single reciept for every single nut bolt piece of blue tape, you don't want to know what one of these cars really costs. I also have all of my labor time documented, 3227 hours, thats what makes the thing worth any money, all of my hours and the parts money that I paid tax on.

I will say that the rest of this procedure was not that painful, this tax part is the kick in the nuts. If the state applied a service fee to the retitling process I could fully understand that, they did put in a lot of work to get a new title issued including sending an officer to my home. True they are getting plate revenue from this but since most are AV it's most likely not much. The big problem is that the departments are not communicating leaving the Il Dept of Revenue with the long arm to come in and piss us off. The dept of Rev will lock out all of your rights if you owe tax, no voting, no drivers license no business license, not pretty, I owed them .32 cents once, it took a year and a half to resolve that, they sent me to collections 2 times at 150. each time and then ate it and did it again and then ate it.

25. scrubba

scrubba

This should serve as a lesson , get out of Illinois while ya still can . The "Chicago Cook County style of justice is rapidly spreading in the land of Lincon . scrubba

26. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

When we capture the tyrants we will export them to a land far away, a land known as Richmond Virginia, where they will be instructed to contact our man Scrubba for a tour of the new life settings.

27. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

I’m waiting for it to happen to me, I’ll press fraud, harassment, destruction of government property and bribery charges on em and I have a law firm that will go To bat for me for free, and I got all the time in the world to put it to em, that and A good nasty ass pr campaign will help level the field.

28. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

One of the major TV channels must have investigative reporting. They love to expose governemnt corruption. We use to have a news show with a segment called "Ask Bogie". A friend of mine bought a new motorhome and the water pump went out. The second pump went out and they tried to stiff him with a bill. After the reporter show, they fixed it for free with a NEW part.

29. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks for the replies so far again please keep them coming I am mostly interested if you attached a copy of the Bill of sale with the RUT 50 originally and still got the letter I believe thats going to be the only way we can go after them on this. When I questioned the agent on the phone about my bill of sale that was already submitted they told me mine was "lost" some how which is obviously a lie.

30. ride00007

ride00007
    from Illinois

Like I said... the dmv refused to accept mine or attach mine. They even knew that I would get "the letter". I guess it's possible that someone other than the IL-revenue detached yours. The lady at my dmv was absolutely insistant that nothing else could be attached. That's just insane.
    My belief... which is a common belief... is that they send it to everyone knowing that even if it takes 500 letters... that some people will just pay the bill. It's wrong. If it's not illegal, then it should be. Just seems like it will be hard to fight the system. They're the ones that have unlimited funds and time.