Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "I'll need this some day".. Is this the year?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

L, any pics of those old hotrods back in the day that you might share?...We all will face decisions someday...all the best...I'll keep what I enjoy till I can't but hanging up the Hotrod keys is a Milestone...glad there's the Hamb...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    brady1929 likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

325 save this and edit because the art looks better 4 wheels down, it has a Buck Roger's look to it...Then I'll delete this pic...A lot of style back in those Art Deco Days with Bullet Trains

20210111_003335.jpg

brady1929 likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  4. I have kept things in check with the help of Hershey. Not having that available this year hurt. Hopefully 2021 will have Hershey. I have moved a few times over the years and each time I did a clean out. Now I really do not have tons of parts. I do have lots of signs but they are all hanging. I did sell one of my two 32's a while back. After a bit of time I bought another 32 that I am working on. I find that working on the cars is good for me. Keeps my old bones moving.

Stogy likes this.
  5. I have also decided to shed myself of some of those 'might need it someday' parts. Last couple of years I started taking parts to swap meets that were hard for me to find that I had been hoarding. I never considered them all that valuable, just hard to come by. I was surprised at how swiftly they moved at swap meets. I even sold my old 56 Chevy that I had for decades.
    Last year wasn't so good for swap meets as we can all attest to but hopefully, this year I can get some more in the pipeline.
    Like -Brent- said, it is liberating.
    Now just watch.....I will need a lot of those parts that I let go....happens every time.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

We are moving in the next year or two and at 63 I figure I'm in the fourth quarter. Been plenty of time to go through stuff during the shutdown. So...I'm trying to get my projects up to running project status. Organizing my parts stash into enough items to build a couple complete engines and transmissions and letting the rest go so I don't have to move it. Also, the new found room in my current place is kind of nice.

Stogy and Paul like this.
  7. Some of us are in the next phase where we're saving wheels and parts for our "WALKER" repairs and HopUp. HAHHAHAahahah!!!!

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am already in the process of selling my parts and speed equipment and dipping my toes into selling my vintage signs and thermometers. After will be brass fire extinguishers and vintage accessories.

9. I got rid of some then collect some more, kinda like a yo-yo dieter, I still think the majority of my stuff is cool so it's hard to let go of.
    I have recently been moving things to paint walls, that's when I think I have to much stuff, especially heavy stuff lol. I seem to just move it from one spot to another but I really really hate the endless line of assholes that want to low ball ya to death and tell their sob stories just so they can flip it for their own profit.
    Here's just part of some of the recent piles I just moved

20201218_150124.jpg 20201129_135328.jpg 20201203_142639.jpg

Algoma56 and Budget36 like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

@swade41 I always enjoy your shop pics. You have some cool stuff.

swade41 likes this.
  11. Thanks, I did put some of the valve covers up

Screenshot_20210114-212135_Message+.jpg Screenshot_20210114-212153_Message+.jpg

Stock Racer and Budget36 like this.
  12. cfmvw

cfmvw

My uncle is an electronics engineer who is always ending up with stuff. Currently he has over 1200 bins of fasteners and various odds and ends, not to mention boxes and cabinets of parts. More often than not, he brings home more than he takes to the dump; the family likes to tease him that the town is going to name the dump after him. I have to give him credit, though, as he is very good at organizing and storing everything, and he frequently repurposes a lot of it, or gives it away after he fixes it.

13. shake-n-bake

shake-n-bake

Waited till later in life to get really involved in building and collecting. Now, due to health issues, I'm downsizing and selling off the vehicles and leftover parts. Gonna then buy one final running, driving vehicle that either me or the Mrs can drive and enjoy. Tools will be the last thing to go and my wife has instructions to hold an auction for whatever is left, and do what ever she wants with money. Before selling this stuff off, I'd like to leave it to my kids or grandkids, but they couldn't care less. Sad, but true.

14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-1-18_4-35-45.png

Hello,

When my brother and I were in the throes of building and getting our 1940 Willys Coupe ready, we did have a wish list. But, those were for the final step in making it a street ready, finished hot rod. But, somewhere in the first 4 month build of getting the Willys Coupe to accept the 283 SBC with 6 Strombergs, we had to measure and cut a lot of things to make it work. We spent the first several months completing the motor, then the trans and setting up the rest of the rear end and suspension.
    upload_2021-1-18_4-36-28.png Backyard garage in 1959-60
    Since we were on separate time lines (he was in a typical every other day college class and me in the normal 7 period high school day), which made working together an afterschool/weekend project. Sometimes when a school vacation popped up, for us, it was an all day into the night work schedule. With some free lunches and dinners served right onto our work bench.
    upload_2021-1-18_4-37-34.png Lions Dragstrip pits 1960
    Somewhere, the “I’ll need this someday,” scenario must have played into my brother’s thoughts and he had something made by Henry’s Machine Works for our future use. He did not tell me what, but there were two wide rims stacked on their sides on the concrete backyard garage floor. It definitely was not for use on the 58 Impala. That would have required us to radius the wheel well. (no way...) They were in the corner and soon, other stuff was placed in front. Finally, the sight and idea disappeared since we were involved in other parts of the build.

Jnaki

No one we knew used or had the ability to use 15 inch diameter, 9 inch wide rims for any car or truck in our friends’s different rides.

So, for the whole late 1959 to early August 1960, they sat in the corner waiting for its turn to help a couple of brothers out when necessary… “I will need this someday”, did have a ring to it… We had a 4:56 Positraction 1956 Chevy rear end and suspension. The only way to use those 15” x 9 inch wide rims was to get a much larger pair of racing slicks, and cut out the fender opening of whatever car would take those wide wheels. Currently, our 7 inch wide Bruce Slicks from the 58 Impala fit easily under the stock rear fender of the 1940 Willys Coupe.

upload_2021-1-18_4-43-32.png

15. lake_harley

lake_harley

It seems the common thing through this thread is that many people are selling off parts. My question is, who are the buyers if hot rodding is dwindling and going downhill? There must still be someone who's wanting the parts that were previously collected and stored away for "some day".

Lynn

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

too bad we can't just "make it disappear" like those Got Junk? commercials.... of course with a nice pile of cash on the floor where the junk was.