Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ignition switch question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cantstop, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Cantstop

Cantstop

Doing some wiring cleanup for a buddies old Chevy truck. It's got a saginaw style gm tilt column in it. We were thinking about using the dash button for the starter but he was wondering if there was a column switch that didn't have the start position. I thought that was a something maybe someone here might know.

Sent from my SM-N920T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Pretty much any modern column will have a start position if it's locking, but that doesn't mean you have to use it. You can still use the dash button, but I would recommend wiring through the neutral safety switch.

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

If you remove the wire on the ignition switch for the "start" terminal, you will disable the start position from the switch, the key will still turn there, but it will have no function. Then you simply need to add a power wire from a battery source to the push button and connect the other terminal on the button to that starter wire. You will have to have the key turned on before you push the button or the motor will only crank over but will not start when you push the button. Gene

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could also wire it so the push button doesn't do anything unless the key is in the "on" position.

If I recall, those columns actually have the switch at the base of the column, with a rod running up the column between the electrical switch and the Key tumbler. It shouldn't be too hard to make some kind of limiter so the rod will not allow the key to be turned beyond the "on" position.

For a bit of added theft protection, you could wire it so that the key needs to be held in the start position before the push button will work.