Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ignition recommendations for SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CB_Chief, Feb 29, 2012.

1. I am helping my son build a 350 +.030 bored with a nodular iron 3.5” stroke crank, 5.7” forged I-beam rods with full floating bushings, 13 cc forged dish pistons, Comp Cams NX262H Cam kit, Magnum roller rockers, 1971 LT1 (76 cc) heads with screw in studs and guide plates. The plan is to top it off with either the Weiand 144 CID / Holley 4150 or the Edelbrock 122 CID / Edelbrock Thunder supercharger combo.

The cam specs are;
    1600-5900 RPM range
    113 degree LSA
    108 degree Intake Centerline
    Specs given Intake/Exhaust
    Valve lift .462/.480
    Lobe Lift .308/.320
    Duration 262/280
    Duration @ .050” Lift 218/230

We are looking at different ignition systems for the combo based on reading tech articles in several different car car/performance magazines. These seem to be the most favored in the articles but I am not familiar with any of them. I have had a Crane XR700 electronic conversion unit in a different daily driver for over 10 years and it has been trouble free which influences me in their direction. This engine will be in a daily driver so I want something that is fairly stable and street friendly if possible. Based on the information I have here does anyone have any recommendations, experience or inputs that might help us make a decision? Or a different recommendation altogether possibly…

MSD Pro Billet distributor along with an MSD 6BTM timing controller

MSD Digital E-Curve Distributor, Part No. 8394 with MSD Blaster SS Coil, Part No. 8207

Crane HI-6R digital Multi-Spark CD Ignition, Part No. 6000-6400 with built in timing retard module, Part No. 6000-6425 and integrated rev limiter with rotary switch “positive click” 100 RPM increments. No chips needed as in the MSD rev limiter.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have pretty much the same engine that came in a Camaro ex drag car I bought (but naturally aspirated) and it has an MSD Pro Billet distributor and box with it. I plan on using the same setup when I freshen up the engine because everything I have read about the MDS stuff was pretty positive.

Don

3. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

CB Chief We ran a 350 cu in 671 Littlefield Blower 4 port Endrle injected small block on alcohol . Our ignition was MSD 6A and distributer Blaster 2 coil .The car ran 7.60s at 180mph..Absolutely 0 ignition problems with that set up in 5 years of racing. MSD is number 1 for the money..........

4. MSD or stay on the porch!

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

You will need a distributor that has a curve set up for the blower and you cant go wrong with a MSD BTM box with dial adjustable boost retard I ould contact Bubba for the distributor.