Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ignition recommendation Oldsmobile Rocket engine 303.cu

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by calislabi, Jul 2, 2020.

1. calislabi

calislabi

I need new ignition parts for my Oldsmobile Rocket engine 303.cu (1949-1953). Can someone recommend a good place to buy the stuff?

Thanks for everybody’s help

Patrick

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're looking for a vintage setup, keep watching eBay. I scored a Mallory "flattop" for one there about a year ago. A real neat set up with separated dual points, two condensers and a special Mallory coil with two primary windings and one secondary. Dual coils without a specialized cap and rotor. I am replacing a stock distributor that has a Mallory dual point conversion kit in it. This stuff is out there; you just have to keep your eyes open.

One tip on eBay : Use a "Saved Search" with the Mallory distributor number. Many times, people will list one and just use the number, not knowing what it fits. Those come pretty cheap.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Some of us have 50s-'60s production Delco-Remy & Echlin parts put away. I wouldn't even attempt to use foreign made stuff unless I was stranded. So, put an ad in the ''wanted" classifieds describing what you need in detail, such as "hot ignition'', stock (insert number on D-R tag), and which parts wanted ...
    Helps to list your location in your avatar, too.

4. Cleat

Cleat
    from Gifford WA

triumph 1 and BoilermakerDave like this.

5. Crayons

Crayons

Yes I also used Petronix in my 324....works perfectly and retains the factory look.

6. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Petronix the way to go

7. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Single points distributor with a set of Accel points, cap and rotor from Summit or you can get NOS USA parts on e-Bay, I once bought 25 sets of points for my Pontiac 389, turns out they also work on my Chevrolet 454 distributors too.. Use the distributor to trigger a CD box like the Vertex Z6, Fast/Crane Cd box or an old analog MSD6AL.. If the CD box gives up just go back to points/condenser.. The 14 volts without a resister will be okay to get you home on.. This is one of the best ignitions going yet you never hear too much about it..

If your engine came with the iron distributor, by all means get that one, they are some of the best.. I'm pulling the HEI in my 427 for a 1962 327 Chevrolet Iron distributor with a tach take off, I'll run the Vertex box with it since it suppose to be made in the USA..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You can get a rebuilt single point Delco-Remy from Fusick for $250, but I personally prefer to stay away from points now for several reasons. First, its virtually impossible to get quality points and condensers now. Second, these items are not stock items at a basic auto supply store, whereas I can walk into any Pep Boys, Advanced or the like and get a Petronix Ignitor for around $80. It also eliminates the ballast resistor, another item in the chain that can go bad.

Pertronix seems to be the way to go. I had a Pertronix that was on my 394 that was perfect, and then when that engine got pulled out of service, I put that distributor in my 324. I will say, going from the single point Delco-Remy distributor in the Olds to the Pertronix, the difference in cold starting was extremely noticeable. The Petronix gave a much hotter spark right away that made cold starts much easier.

https://www.davessmallbodyheis.com You might want to reach out to that guy as well, who is retrofitting GM HEI guts into small body distributors. He has an awful injury to his hand though and I don't know if he' accepting new work. Shame, looks like a great service.

Ross Racing also sells an MSD style trigger distributor for the Early Olds as well.