Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ignition questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

So my current setup is gunna involve a mallory YC, standard brass mallory condenser , dual point, and packard 440 wires on a 327(it's in a '65 elcamino so it's OK) in your guy's opinion, what is gunna be the best coil and ballast resistor to fit this application??(or internaly resisted coil) I kinda want a non-mallory interchange.

Oh and yep i read bubba's articals a few years back, i still dont undersand a damn but about electricity, really it's my only achilies heel

Oh and as for radio interference, i have a radio delete panel instead....

2. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Previous owner rewired it without a resistor wire, or i would, and how is the delco quality these days??? I personally dont know. This is for my only daily so i'd like to spend a few extra bucks to get good stuff since it seems like quality has gone down the crapper for a lot of the old stuff

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Oh and can anyone tell me why the hell this got move to traditionally 'styled' hot rods??? I mean full vintage dress warm L79 327 in a 65 or earlier work and back car is pretty much as traditional as it gets...

Lets see, L79, early t-10, edelbrock c4b, holley 4bbl, vette covers, bias ply's, 2 1/4" pipes, points, infact every part is pre 1968, which i'd say is textbook for the tail end of the era's we support on here.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  4. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Delco E552C Coil, use a 1.3 ohm rated at room temperature ballast resistor

PS, you are giving up a lot of performance and economy with no vacuum advance.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014