Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ignition Condenser problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^^^Great info!^^^^^ Thanks, Ralc.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have run the old Accel 32 oz points past 8000 rpm lots of times. Thanks for the tip on the Echlin stuff bubba, I have been worried about where to get decent point sets. I have Accel 110138 points in my chevy II, had several sets, but these are the last ones. They last a LONG time with the MSD, still its been worrying me.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I ran a delco single point with an MSD 7 on a 509 that dynoed close to 800HP. The dual point Corvette distributors like bubba posted were THE distributor of choice in the 9500 rpm MP and gas class 288's and 302's that came out of Crosbies shop when I was a parts washing punk-ass gopher.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a tach drive cast iron bowl style with the standpipe oiler here, the number on it cross-references to '57 245hp 283 (dual wcfb, hyd.cam). It has what looks to be some original GM points in it, single spring, but they are STIFF springs. They are really nice distributors, very stable point plate.
    I will post a pic tomorrow.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bubba, do you know where I can get good quality condenser, brass terminal cap, and long tip rotor for this? It will be going in a pseudo 270hp 283 with packard 440's and Raja clips. The condenser should be mounted on the outside of the distributor next to the tag, right? Or does it mount under the screw on the left of the breaker plate? I've seen photos of them with the external condenser, but theres no hole in the body that matches the external condenser location I see in photos.
    DSCF0092[1].jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2016