Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ignition coils

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lilmo630, Sep 16, 2018.

1. lilmo630

lilmo630

Hi guys, i am having a problem with ignition coils that keep going bad. I have an msd ready to run distributor. If i drive the car for a few hours and check the coil, it is too hot to touch. My question is do i need a coil that has an internal resistor? The current coil is marked ''external resistor required'' and i know for a fact i have no resistor. by the way the coil is mounted under the dash. I am at the point where i am afraid to drive too far because i dont know when this one will quit.

2. I think you have answered all your own questions
    External resistor required —— no residue wired in
    And under the dash? Should be mounted under the hood for better heat dissipation

54vicky likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it's on your avatar...put th stock one back on. It was on the firewall just right of the wiper motor..

4. I'll agree with the under the dash statement from Vandenplas; it needs to be out where it gets air circulation.

As to the resistor, you actually have two options; install the resistor and the needed wiring, or get another coil with a higher primary resistance to limit current. I'm sure MSD can give a coil recommendation.

The MSD 'ready to run' distributors don't have all the advanced circuitry that their boxes do...