Register now to get rid of these ads!

IFS to dropped axle question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mootz, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Mootz

Mootz

I am looking at a 29 A sedan but there is something that would have to be changed. It is a fenderless car, chopped and channeled but it has some sort of corvair front suspension up front with coils. Freakin disgusting. Anyway, it appears to be the stock A frame all the way to the front with this suspension bolted and welded to the frame. Would I be crazy to buy this car? How big of a job is it to set up a suicide or a spring over setup up front? What should I expect to spend to get this thing back on the road? Nothin chrome, just bare bones. The price seems right but this would have to be done before I'd take it anywhere next summer. I know there's been a lot of "suicide" front end questions here lately. Is it easier to set up than setting it up under the frame? Any help would be appreciated.

Mootz

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Post a picture if you can.
    I remember looking at the tech articles when this swap was first discovered by the magazines...I think Tex Smith published the first article in HRM, maybe in the mid-sixties.
    As I remember, which might not be worth much, the Corvair crossmember pretty much went into the Ford spring location, then a couple of fairly simple brackets picked up the various mount locations left dangling. There didn't seem to be too much destruction to repair. I think the big Achilles heel of this swap was in coming up with satisfactory steering.

3. If the rails are intact,and you can do a little welding
    to put a crossmember in,it shouldn't be too difficult.

4. Mootz

Mootz

Here is the best pic I've got of it for now, haven't seen it in person, just the pics. Don't mind the tires and wheels either :D

[​IMG]

Mootz

5. Mootz

Mootz

OK, nevermind about most of the car. Could be cool with some work, starting with the front suspension, wheels and tires, intake...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mootz

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Body looks good, frame still has horns so is likely a "traditional" Corvair install on stock rails...
    Engine has to go--a 29 just can't swallow an engine with a front accessory/timing case setup that long. Pushing the radiator ahead of axle line on a Model A is almost always a crime against nature. If you can sell the engine and Corvair parts to someone into ...ummmm...traditional seventies street rods, you'll have some good parts left.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

P.S.:After seeing the engine and the Corvair front end, I'll bet a nickel the interior is button tufted...

8. toledobill

toledobill

One of the saddest memories of my life was when I followed LeRoi (Tex's) recommendations back in 1965 about updating my '29 with the fantastic new Corvair front ends. Yes, I got it to fit relatively easily and yes, I then found out about the atrocity it did to the Ackerman. But more importantly, it soured me on the next twenty years of Rod Meets and back yard building. If THIS was where rodding was going, I wanted no part of it. In the late 1980's I came back, and found out Tex was headed up one of those cul de sacs that just have no good exit.
    The way I put in the Corvair could be unbolted and a traditional axle could be reinstalled. Check it out -- maybe you can correct the sins of your forefathers.

9. Mootz

Mootz

No good shots of the interior but no comments about the sunroof?:D Maybe I should just keep looking...

Mootz

10. Bruce is right.

Get the parts to shorten the front of that engine up. Relocate the radiator and take the Corvair front end to the crusher. That way, nobody will ever be able to do this again.

Install a new crossmember (assuming it's been wacked) and put a straight axle under it, along with whatever steering box you'll use. For less than $1,000 you'll increase the value of the car about $5,000.

11. I've done two Corvair exorcisms, one on a model A and one on a '36 Plymouth. I put a dropped axle setup in the "A", an MII in the Plym. I've seen the Model A Corvairs done two ways, one with the front crossmember intact, the other with it cut out.

Either way, my recommendation would be to totally strip everything off the frame from the firewall forward, box the rails and fit a new front crossmember from one of the aftermarket companies. That way you have a good solid foundation, all the old crap is gone, and you know exactly where you stand.

12. muffman58

muffman58

Bruce, couldn`t he cut the front frame horns & weld a tube & go with a spring behind axle set up? There are shorter waterpumps for Ford engines [ Explorer 5.0 ] also! That would put the front axle out there somewhat foward of where its at now. Stay with the Ford in a Ford! FWIW.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

toledobill, If one of the saddest moments of your life (your description, and if so you haven't had much of a life) was following instructions given by Tex Smith then I pity you. Tex has done more hot rodding (traditional and cutting edge) than just about anybody out there. He has always been willing to try something new and if it could be adapted safely to a hot rod he was usually at the forefront reporting it to the general public. Like all of us that have been around rodding for a number of years (I'm 61 and started at 13) there are many things we would do differently looking in the rearview mirror. I'm sure that Tex's efforts will pale in comparison to yours when the final chapter of hot rodding is recorded so I hope you will accept my apology in advance for taking exception to what you've posted here.

BTW, when I talked to Tex about the Corvair adaptation he said it was one of the least favorite front transplants he had done but at the time he maintained if done properly it was one way to get independent front suspension in an era where the hobby was searching for answers to new ideas and things like the M II hadn't come along yet. If and when I see him again I'll let him know how his efforts shattered your life. You might just get a public appology, but I wouldn't loose any sleep waiting for it.

Frank

14. not to be harsh, but any non-fendered A- or deuce coupe w/ IFS in the front looks like ass.

Dropped axle all the way. :)

JMHO :)

15. Mootz

Mootz

Be harsh all you want, the car is funkin ugly. That's why the question was asked. I honestly wouldn't take it to any shows in its current state. That's kind of my problem. Not sure I have the scratch to buy the car and do what I'd like to do before summer. Kinda sounds like I'd be better off buyin a rolling chassis.

Mootz

16. Lighten up Frank!

17. Some things are best to not be done. This was one of them.

What do ya' need independent for anyway? If I wanted the ride of a Cadillac I'd go buy one.

18. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I thought you have a Caddy...........for your lovely wife.......
    I have two..........his and hers......

By the way .........Modifiedriver......this Saturday is the last get together at Micky D's......at I85 and #81

:D