Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods If you were going to build a car to run in the South East Gasser Association, what would you build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 10, 2020.

1. RmK57

RmK57

If your running a big block Ford your stuck with P-51's. Which aren't a bad cylinder head but the Kaase Boss 429 head or the A-441 Hemi head would be a little better especially in a 500+ cube engine.

If there allowed an early Mustang fastback with at least 520 cubes.

loudbang, Thor1 and Roothawg like this.
  2. Great tread here I am not just lucky enough to see these guys run. I was lucky enough to know the guys that brought them to North Myrtle Beach SC . The assorted nuts I have got to meet and hang out with them and gotten to be friends. Seen them run a number of time and all ways a great show wheels up hard shifting, and if you like old school drag racing it's worth the drive even if it's a full blown road trip. And to answer the question I would love to have Henry J with a small block Oldsmobile some thing different.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm sure there are better body styles for my quest, but I would like to pay tribute. Dad would love it.

4. If that is the case=entertainment= I would not participate. If we're going to use the word "racing", as opposed pleasing someone, well. I wouldnt spend my hard earned coin trying to appease others, and I know what it takes to go to the dance, so- I'm out to do what I can =IE competition, not be a number in a show to pack the grandstands...... Maybe that's the jist, which vibe i'm getting here........ And if all the things that you've mentioned about the "end of the day"...... Most if not all that participate know that role already= a by-product of seat time......
    Yes- money spent is farther than any return, and all about the experience, but........ Some are looky lou's, and some, which would be myself, would be there to compete........ Results may vary

Thor1 likes this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, Roothawg.
    I was posting as if it's a "what's your favorite gasser" thread or something.
    I suddenly realized... you're asking a serious question.
    Carry on.

Thor1 and Roothawg like this.
  6. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I'd build my Henry J to run if I were even kinda remotely close to where they run. I've watched videos with envy of joining.

As it is, my local track is all about brackets, so that's what it will be set up for. But a 4 speed sure would be fun!

Devin

31hotrodguy, Thor1, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  7. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I view it as entertainment for yourself, not for those in the stands. Maybe you call it a hobby. And enjoying what you are doing doesn't mean that you are not a serious competitor. During a typical race event you will make untold number of decisions about the car and how you will drive. And at the end of each run you get your report card on yourself. And it's not always high grades, but should still provide enjoyment. Even if you have done it a million times. It's not supposed to be a job.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

No worries. Not a serious question, since the closest race to me is 11 hours. There are a lot of guys that are closer, that may not know about the SEGA.

Quain Stott, Thor1, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  9. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Butch , explain. I got a 56 and thinking about building a gassr type car but not to keen about the straight axle. Mine will be street driven. Would like your opinion??

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1 and Roothawg like this.
  10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Last I checked an I’m not sure if it has changed or not SEGA rules for glass class are straight axle only. However!! It looks like they added the super stock class which is exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, Quain Stott, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  11. brianf31

brianf31

I wonder if anyone is running a 385 Ford. I've mostly seen Clevors and Windsors at the events I've attended.
    I'm building a street/strip Falcon gasser using the SEGA rule book. I'm setting it up for a 460.

Axle Back 2.jpg

Straight Axle Install.jpg
    Rear.jpg

12. brianf31

brianf31

There are indeed a lot of '55 Chevies, early Novas and Falcons. If I wanted to build a crowd pleaser, it would be a period hot rod like Gabe's '31 sedan or Tony's Quick n Dirty '39 Hemi Dodge.

Being a Ford guy, I'd build a '30-31 drag coupe with 427 FE hi-riser and all 60s era parts. Side oiler block, 2X4 intake, Holman Moody parts, etc. It wouldn't be that competitive but it would be throwback cool.

Bonus points if I could drive it there, drop the exhaust, change gears, throw on the slicks and run it straight down the strip. I'd get a couple qual attempts before I retire to the bleachers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. There is a 29 Tudor with a 283 and 4 speed in the for sale section that looks like it would be a good candidate to build for SEGA.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  14. RmK57

RmK57

The way I see it is to be competitive your going to need 800-900 hp for A/Gas, so there's a sizable investment just in the engine, never mind the Liberty, Jerico trans and all the rest.
    Build your Falcon your way and have fun. It's all about the experience and the people you meet.

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

brianf31. The 385 motor can be a real possibility. I started to build a 435 inch version of a 429.
    Bore it out and use 460 pistons and 440 Mopar rods with a 429 Ford crank . It will make a lot of power and turn some serious rpm's.
    It just wouldn't fit in my Morris Minor. They are not legal in Super Stock ,but they are legal in the gas classes.
    The other vintage engines like the Pontiacs and the Olds get a nice weight break.
    A 303 Pontiac could be a real runner in C/Gas car. Could be lighter than a similar Chevy or Ford powered car. A stack injected iron headed 303 Pontiac powered car could be almost 400 pounds lighter than a 301 Chevy powered 55 Chevy. Just takes money to build one.

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wouldn't you still be too big in the CID range? Would have to be around 280 CID. Am I ciphering right?

loudbang likes this.
  17. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to side track this thread, or detract from what Mr. Stott and the WHOLE SEGA Family has done for the sport of Drag Racing, but I was wondering if there would be any interest or support for, possibly, an E-Gas class for car's with factory front suspension? I feel that it would be a great entry level Gas Class for those of us that don't want the added expense of chassis mod's and a good stepping stone to the faster classes. Any thought's/suggestion's? Granted, it probably wouldn't have the visual impact that the axle car's have, but we all have to start somewhere. It might not be the most glorious class , but I think it would make the SEGA grow by leap's and bound's, so to speak. With any luck, it could be Bigger than NHRA! Just my thought's, and thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I like the SEGA because like back in the day you can build to what your wallet says you can and still run and have fun because of the rules. Be careful weight per cubic in will jump up and bite you but this is all about fun. Just like days of long ago. When you get into the blown classes watch out! Follow your wallet and above all have fun. Lippy

20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

A Rum Runner

31hotrodguy likes this.
  21. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@seb fontana,
    I really like your shoe box. Can we see a picture with the front end down?

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Allstate..331”

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

You are talking basically what was once Modified Production. I think it it a great idea that has been kicked around by Quain and his crew. you would probably end up with at least 2 or 3 more classes for Quain to keep track of on race day.
    I am an old Modified Production racer and raced a 57 Nomad with a 337 in the late 60's before I bought a big block Camaro to run in stock eliminator.
    I would like to see it and who knows what he has been looking at down the road. I know that if there would have been a super stock class before I started building my morris minor for the gas class. I would have started on the 65 Comet 2 door hardtop that I have stored down in my friends barn.
    I could have been racing 3 years ago and would have been money ahead.

catdad49, loudbang, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

loudbang, Thor1 and Roothawg like this.
  25. savannahDan

savannahDan

general ET's to win each class - 5.40's for A/G, 5.80's for B/G, and 6.20's for C/G. Super stock is 7.0, 7.10's. I'll tell you, no class is easier than another. Only difference is weight. All things being equal, a winning C/G motor in a proper weight A/G car could be a winning combo in that class as well.

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was just thinking that to propel a heavier car fast enough to be competitive in A, it would have to make more power.......which equates to more $$.

I get that racing ain't cheap, just curious on times. We only run 1/4 here, but according to the calculator, most of these guys are running sub 10 seconds.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd build one like my avatar...
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Dog_Patch, loudbang, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  28. savannahDan

savannahDan

the cylinder head rules are a problem for the 385 series ford. The allowable heads aren't as good as the BBC allowed heads. But the next step up 385 heads are better than the allowed BBC heads. It's tough spot for the rule makers...but there is a good reason there isn't anyone running a 385 series. I heard of a guy that pursued a 385 build and was working with Kaase to optimize the combo legally, he was in it to win and was not satisfied with the results. Not sure where it stands now but he's hasn't been racing it with us. If you want to go out and have fun and go fast, be happy and run the BBF. If you want to win with it, you'll be in uncharted territory.

29. savannahDan

savannahDan

Money is a big variable, depends on the talents/capabilities/experience of the car owner/driver. Quain will tell you it takes some money, but you don't have to be rich by any means to field a competitive car. Plan around 2hp/cube to qualify in the top 3rd of each class. Tire size is limited to a 10.5, so at some point there is a threshold where a large CID, "heavy" car will be at a disadvantage.

It takes a lot of effort to build a good car, but it is worth it. I'm having more fun with SEGA than I ever had with a hopped up street car. The people are great, the fans are great, pretty cool adventure.

30. Opel GT, Kadett, Manta

Hudson Metropolitan

Volvo PV544

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    loudbang likes this.