Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods If you were going to build a car to run in the South East Gasser Association, what would you build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 10, 2020.

1. catdad49

catdad49

Look up Nunzi, Pontiacs from way back . They have a hot little 4 banger Tempest!

2. Easy, a first gen Falcon with a 331.
    They look great as a gasser.
    Second choice would be a Henry J with an early hemi.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

catdad49, Just Gary and jim snow like this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know the ins and outs of the rules nor do I have near the ability to build such a car but if I did it would have to be a '65 Falcon 2 dr. wagon. Had one in HS with a built 289 and 4 speed T-10. Good memories.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I just wish they came closer. It would be a 12 hour drive to every race for me.

6. indyjps

indyjps

Heres the classes
    https://southeastgassers.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=534589&module_id=335128
    A Gas 2200 min 6 lb per c/i
    B Gas 2400 min 8 lb per c/i
    C Gas 2800 min 10 lb per c/i
    Leaving out the other classes

What class are you shooting for. Theres a lot of weight break within each class based on engine and other variables to consider.
    Id look at engine drivetrain combo first, what engine and cubic inch can you make the most power on and afford to run reliably thru a season. Take that combo and choose a chassis that fits a class and weight.

Lets start with what engine family you wanna run, chevy, ford, chrysler? Chevy in a Ford truck draws shit from Ford Guys, if you wanna do a 36 ford like your Dad had, but its a cost effective way to hit the track. If you wanna take advantage of the iron head weight break, what engine family offers the best flowing iron heads. Or skip to aluminum and the costs probably even out.
    Whats the best trans for the combo?

What combos are consistently winning rounds now?

For a winning race car, the body is just window dressing, unless class rules offer an advantage with chassis layout if stock style suspension has to be retained. Any drivetrain is fair game if it makes the power you need to consistently win rounds.

As a comparison. Look at all the fox body race cars thar have moved to chevy or LS power. Cheap effective shell with tons of chassis choices, moving to engine platforms that make the most power reliably for the least cost. The guy squawking about a chevy in a ford can talk all day as hes loading his car, while the fox - chevy guy is prepping for the next round.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Quain Stott likes this.
  7. Okay, I read some of the rules. Yes, I would build a Clone of Wayne's truck with a step back one generation of what you see in the video clip. Loose the puffer and go stack injection. Swap the Torqueflight for a good old 4 speed. It has a tube axle and corvair steering box in it so add more arch to the springs. I consider a 426 the Big Block Hemi. What do they consider the Iron head 392? A taller gear will help with smaller tires. The truck has a steel cab and bed with glass front end. I think that fits. I like the No Commercial aspect of this program. Dang, if only I was still a young man.
    So the sad ending if you call it that is that the Truck last I heard got de throne'd into a Chevy powered bracket racer and lives in the Seattle zone. Being it still lives on a stock set of Frame Rails it can only run under 10,0. What a shame but at least it still Battles on.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dad ran an injected 265 in C gas. He came in right at 270 CID.

With a 2800 lb weight min. 280 CID would be a either a destroked 283 or a bored 265. I would think a large bore short stroke would be a good start.

Quain Stott, SR100, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49

That long nose Mustang would fit in the F/X class! All great ideas, I vote for someWillys pickups.

Quain Stott, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  10. Okay, I grazzed over that info again. It is a Big Block in there rules. NO PROBLEM! 16" wheel stands as required, No Problem, and I still have it's original flat bar style Wheelie Bars. If only fellows, if only.

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Something along these lines. Something that doesn't get lost in the sea of tri-fives, Falcons, Novas, etc...
    Not necessarily a Poncho nut, but this trips my switch:

[​IMG]

12. catdad49

catdad49

Think you could find a Tempest or two, how 'bout a wagon!

loudbang, slowmotion and 31hotrodguy like this.
  13. Phil1934

Phil1934

Tempest is same platform as Chevy II but 2" more wb so if it has firewall mounts for front end a Chevy II gasser front clip seems a natural.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd love to have a 1933 Willys coupe gasser project.

Probably chop the top
    Paint it a real soft baby blue
    Super aggressive stance
    Huge slicks
    Polished Halibrands
    427 sohc
    Mailbox scoop

Call it "George".

15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Southcross2631,
    Is the super stock class new to sega? I don’t remember seeing it last time I look! That is super exciting! My two favorite racing cars organizations are SEGA and FAST!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. SEGA RULES. HRP

17. indyjps

indyjps

Does a 301 carrying a little more weight give you an advantage to make power with readily available combos and put the chassis weight where you want it?
    4" bore to unshroud valves or run larger valves.

Quain Stott and loudbang like this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my favorites ever since I built the model as a kid.
    Ohio George Montgomery.
    1933 Willys Coupe.
    Badass epitomized.
    It could probably make me forget about wanting any other cars.

6125871358_53e5cebd10.jpeg

19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Does a 301 carrying a little more weight give you an advantage to make power with readily available combos and put the chassis weight where you want it?
    4" bore to unshroud valves or run larger valves.[/QUOTE]

I might be missing something but why would the 301 have more weight? Same crank, same rods - slightly bigger piston but less meat in the bore if a 283 block.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  20. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I not sure that we can answer that for you. Let's face it, it's entrainment. There isn't enough money to be won to put a dent into what you'll spend. What puts a smile on your face? You want to be transported back in time and get to experience something we may have seen or read about as a youngster. It sounds like you may want to create a version of your dad's car? Or maybe some other gasser war hero. So despite some other comments, it is about the look of the car and how it makes you feel when you strap in. I think the biggest variable is how fast do you need to go to have fun. A lot of stuff is fixed cost: most likely some flavor of Gforce trans; safety and drive line parts; etc. So how much do you want to spend on power? At the end of the day it's all about that feeling driving out the back, the tug of the shoulder straps as the chute catches air, and that big grin that nobody sees under your helmet.

21. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

First and foremost, I really dig the whole concept of SEGA and though I've never met Quain I have a lot of respect for him and what he has accomplished.
    Having said that, have you guys read ALL of the SEGA rules, lots of fine print.
    I'm sure everyone of them is in place to keep the racing fair and give the fans a feeling of how the racing was in the 60's.
    My only complaint is the West Coast is not on their schedule.:mad:

Edit
    Yes read the rules link that Danny posted, I did not see that he had done that.

23. If $$ was unlimited, I wouldn't fuck around. It would be a clone of Gary Dubach's 33 Willys (with stronger spindles). ;) And the same driver would drive it.

24. ...hard to beat a 37 Chev coupe...
    37 @ byron high.jpg 37 @byron high.jpg

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would probably run a 4" bore with a short stroke. Less than 3.00" It would be like 2.850" or so.

Lots of rules, because people are always looking for an angle. Quain gets beat up a lot, but I respect the heck out of that guy. He is sticking to his guns and the stands are full. That says something.

I wonder what times the guys are running in C/Gas? It seems the most doable on a budget.

26. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. pkhammer

pkhammer

Mercury Comet with a 427 FE.

6sally6, brianf31, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  28. sunbeam

sunbeam

A Chevy II was a X body from 62-67 Tempest was Y body 61-63 and A body 64-67 I don't think Chevy firewall mounts will work. A 61-63 is closer to a Corvair than than a chevy II.

loudbang, Thor1 and Roothawg like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've often thought a first gen ChevyII/Nova would make a perfect drag car.
    Considering full rect. tube chassis are legal in SEGA why mess with subframes, etc.

Thor1 and Roothawg like this.