Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage If you were at the big auction in Mitchell, IN last year

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zorch, Feb 3, 2009.

1. zorch

zorch

If you were at the auction in Mitchell, Indiana last year, you probably remember the '56 Cadillac camper down toward the back. The auctioneer made a big deal out of it. I recently found these photos of the beast in its prime, being used as it was meant to. The photos are dated 1967, but unfortunately there's no information on where these were taken or who it was. Or who took them.

I'm almost dead positive it's the same car--how many white '56 Caddys had a camper surgically attached to their hind end? If the lucky winning bidder is a HAMBer, they can confirm or not on that.

Anyway ... it's not a hot rod, that's for sure (although I didn't look under the hood, it could have had all kinds of great shit under there), but it's definitely a custom car in the truest sense of the idea. And y'know it's always good to have photos of an old custom in its prime. It isn't Stone Woods & Cook--just good old American ingenuity and a lot of sweat.

Attached Files:

2. whid

whid

my parents dealt in antiques when i was growing up.we did alot of shows in the 70's i remember seeing a few of these over the years....................dave

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

I was there, crazy camper.

Clark or Plowboy might know who bought it, since they bought half the stuff there.

Rich

4. dodgeboy

dodgeboy

Man I really wanted to go,but I couldnt get any of my buddies to come along. I even offered to pay for the food/hotel expenses! I should have gone myself anyway,I think I really missed out!

5. Ruiner

Ruiner

There's one just like that sitting in a junkyard in Green Isle,MN...they can't be that rare, I guess...

6. 31aBoy

31aBoy

I saw one like that around my neck of the woods about 5 years ago...

7. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

HEY! I have the sister truck to that camper!:) Neither of them is a 56 , 50-52 most likely. We even have the same mirror's!
    [​IMG]

8. zorch

zorch

Well, damn. I thought it was a one-off. Look how wrong you can be. Hope the rest of my day doesn't go like that.

Even sadder, for me, I've always wanted a Caddy flower car, like a Cadillac-Camino. If I'd known it was all smooth like a baby's butt under there, I'd have taken the one in Mitchell home. I get hung up in details and it had that killer script on the passenger side of the dash that said "Nineteen Fifty Six." I seem to remember it went for under a thousand bucks. But then again, my record of being correct isn't so good about this thing.

Rockey, did it look like that when you peeled the camper stuff off? It's like taking off a snail's shell and finding out that the snail's gold. Now I really want one--another thing to lust after ... :D

9. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

No No No, mine has been a pickup since it was built from a damaged sedan in the late 50's

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  10. Concrete B

Concrete B

I know where theres a black one in Columbus, OH. At least it was there for a while. I presume it still is.