Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical If you use spray can brake cleaner or do welding/brazing - take a read

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Probably all of us have used brake cleaner from a spray can.

The difference between " chlorinated " & " non-chlorinated " can save your life.

I usually buy chlorinated - you seem to get a little more.

Never gave it much thought.

Then I read this:

Spray Can Brake Cleaner Near Death Experience

After I posted this on another forum - this guy shared his experience when
    he was working on a vehicle that had been bondoed ....

" Brakleen and other volatile solvents of the type will release Phosgene gas when heated or burned. R-12 and other refidgerants as well as PVC plastic pipe will do the same. phosgene gas tirns into hydrochloric acid in your lungs! IT WILL kill you if you are exposed to enough of it. If you are exposed to massive amounts of it, death can come in minutes. severe exposure can lead to lethality in days. Even minor contact can be very harmful, leading to permanent damage to your lungs! Old auto AC leak detectors were called Halide detecters. A small leak of R-12 refridgerant waould cause a propane flame to turn purple, and give off a nasty smell (phosgene gas). HOWEVER - if a large leak was encountered, a large plume of heavy white gas would occur - nearly pure Phosgene gas! in a confined space like a car interior, or a small work bay, the mechanic was in dire straights. halide torches are now illegal for that reason.

When I worked for an auto shop, I decided to braze a new floor into my 66 chevy Biscayne trunk. I did not realize that the old one was heavily sealed with Bondo plastic body repair. The heat turned the plastic into phosgene gas and I was exposed, not realizing that I was being poisoned. 1/2 hour later, I suddenly couldn't breath and developed tunnel vision, while driving. I stopped in the middle of an intersection, and tried to exit my car, and then collapsed. At first a cop thought I was drunk, but an alert nurse who happened on the bscene noted that my fingernails and lips were blue, indicating a lack of oxygen. I spent 2 weeks in an oxygen tent in the hospital, and was told I have lost about 30% lung function - permanently.

If you use these solvents, 1) keep away from heat and open flame. 2) use in a well ventilated area. 3) wear eye protection, and gloves - keep it off your skin! Catch runoff on an absorbant pad and dispose in a METAL can, preferably with a lid. Do not use a plastic can, the solvent may melt it! 4) keep away from children and pets. Most of these solvents are carcinogenic - they can cause cancer. BE SAFE when using them! "

Jim [​IMG]

2. Great heads-up. May save someone's life.

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Also known as mustard gas.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Halon @ 1200 degrees turns to phosgene too.

While on the subject of chemical reactions, if you work at a place where there is a restroom(who doesn't)never clean the restroom with Clorox or chlorine cleaner. When chlorine in suspension mixes with Ammonia it releases Chlorine gas. Chlorine gas is very deadly and urine has ammonia in it.

pat59 and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. catdad49

catdad49

6. clem

clem

Good reminder !
    The chemicals that we use in every day life are deadly enough, and if mixed, or as you point out, changed through heat processes or otherwise, can be even more dangerous.
    And yet, how often do we stop and read the label, or follow the directions........?

7. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

Sometimes what we do not know will hurt us, thanks for the heads up!!!!

8. Rand Man

Rand Man

This is a real thing. I know for sure. I started my career as a refrigeration mechanic. I handled 50 pound drums of Freon every day, brazing up big leaks. Never thought of wearing any mask. I remember being overcome by burning gas two or three times. The boss insinuated I was a puss for wanting to go home and rest.

Now, years later I get the diagnosis of COPD. I have medicine that helps me function, but it is a hassle (to say the least). There is no cure for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. I have to take these inhalers every day, until I keel-over for good.

I keep a positive attitude on life, but I have my regrets. Should have realized I wasn't indestructible when it mattered the most.

9. Thanks for the tips guys! I've heard about the brake cleaner, but never thought about the bleach and urine combo.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

so brake cleaner and bondo are to be avoided?

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  11. Snort them but don't smoke them.

Pretty basically any and all solvents with the possible exception of water, are hazardous to your health, some more hazardous than others. Chemicals in different situations can become extremely dangerous, IE when applying heat, or when mixed with other chemicals or even cold can cause an adverse reaction.

Know what you are working with and the limits of safety of whatever product. The Material Safety Data Sheet [MSDS] for any product used in America is available from the manufacturer or distributer. These days it is available online so you don't have to ask for it if it is not supplied with the product, it is also available through OSHA and Poison Control, and The CDC. Online is your friend, google MSDS and the product name. Five minutes can save your life.

HOTRODPRIMER and LostBoy like this.
  12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

THANKS Truly vintage ! I saw this yesterday on "ford AA Truck Center" & was going to post this AM, but you got it in first, & I'm glad that others are posting SAFETY TIPS & WARNINGS!!! We've ALL had our 'close-calls' due to 'lack of knowledge', so I'm always 'up' for safety, because at my age, being 'one-of-six' on a pine box detail is getting a lot harder, especially when a warning might have prevented it!

13. I was working as an Operating Engineer and First Responder at a large high end hotel in the early to mid '90s. My night off @ 3:00 AM I get a call and I am racing across town. The housekeepers had combined 2, 30 gallon drums of cleaner. The drum now in question was now hot and steaming. I hit the lobby and the bellman tosses me the MSD manual for the dept and says, the Boss is on the way, you got to figure this out. Luckily there was an expiration time and all we had to do was keep things cool until that happened.

OK think about it, soap?????

There is an upside to all this. You can always McGiver personal protection in a pinch.LOL

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't tell you how many chemicals I breathed while working at large power plants in 45 years plus my garage. Not only these but chlorothane, chlorothane VG, shoddard solvent, and many other aeromatic solvents for cleaning electric motors and circuit breakers. The first 10 years we did not have proper protection. I finally found respirators for pesticides worked the best. I've been lucky but you should take all precautions and these "bra cup" type dust masks are not it. I won't go into asbestos, boilers and turbines..I'm glad I'm done.

15. verde742

verde742

Thank you government agencies for making manufactures put warning labels on containers, even if some of us ignore it and hate OSHA, WISHA, and other government agencies.

Government doesn't put business's out of business/ they enforce, Make it safe for workers OR close, lot of them close, THEN SAY GOVERNMENT PUT US OUT OF BUSINESS.

i.e. Phoenix Brick, in Phoenix. it was such an old plant, later generations did not want to update, or comply and make it workable conditions. So closed. I miss them.

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

All you can get in CA is non-chlorintaed brake clean. I was working as a mechanic on heavy equipment when the change from clorinated to non was made. We all preferred the chlorinated stuff, it worked better, and were saddened when it became unavailable. In all the hundreds of cans of the stuff I went through (used to call it "field steam cleaners") I don't think I ever once used one around a flame. Why would you do that? It was taken off the market not because it was dangerous, but because of emissions regs.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Obviously this has been floating around since 2009 so it's not news to most of us.

It's still a good heads up on safety though.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Just because it's "Old News" doesn't mean that it shouldn't be "shouted out" every now & then so some "Newbie" will hear it for the first time : SAFETY IS NEVER "OLD NEWS"!!!, especially if it keeps just one of us alive!!

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I stopped turning wrenches for a living in '99, and the change to non-chlorinated took place well before that, so it's really old news.

20. Basically if you use common sense and heed the labels you can make a informed decision,that's how I was taught. HRP

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It is was good info at the time but is no longer current with the changes in the products having been made.

Exactly.

22. k9racer

k9racer

I often wondered why I always got sick after welding. A few years ago I found out about the cleaner deal . I no longer clean I just wipe with a cloth and weld, I no longer get sick when welding or cutting. Thank You for the post and reminder.. Bobby..

23. sololobo

sololobo

excellent info bro, nice caring post