Register now to get rid of these ads!

If you just got one magazine...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ErikDaViking, Feb 27, 2011.

1. bje31

bje31
    from Western PA

Hot Rod Deluxe

2. x2
    There is truth in Hop Up :D

3. HAMB. I quit all the mags and bought the Alliance membership. We got tech pictures and plenty bs...............

4. Ya got the best right here ... Just more difficult to justify having in the crapper

5. captainflight

captainflight

6. perk30

perk30

Rod & Custom .....has always been one of my favorites

7. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Kustoms illustrated

8. teddyp

teddyp

kustoms illustrated luke does a hell of a job

9. Rod and Custom, I don`t need someone to tell me how to dress, what music to listen to, or skanky looking Bettie Page wannabees.

10. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I always regret buying a car magazine after I have thumbed through it. The only one I tend to go back to over and over is TRJ. The HAMB is just so much better than any print magazine, that I don't really miss having magazine subscriptions at all.

11. missedmyexit

missedmyexit

I like Traditional Rod & Culture and Rod and Custom. But the ones that I look forward to are Kustoms Illustrated and Rolls & Pleats. By the way Luke at Kustoms Illustrated in my opinion, puts together one damn fine magazine. Always looking forward to the little white envelope in the mail, with the next issue.

12. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

Kustoms & Hot Rods from AutoTrader Classics. Mainly cause my friend Katie is the editor.

13. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

AMEN TO THAT

I for one would love to see this back in print.

Or even a Special #4

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hot Rod. Not much to do with the HAMB but my interests are more diverse than that, and if I could only buy one, that would be my pick. TRJ and Hot Rod Deluxe if I was allowed 3. Zombies mag would be next, some really neat stuff in there, and as someone said the photography is pretty good. I pick up R&C on an issue by issue basis, but there has to be something in it that interests me. I buy R&C about as often as Car Craft, maybe 3 times a year?

15. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

I guess it would be street rodder but I sure miss the Jim Rizzo stuff no one has filled that gap!

16. TRJ - my only subscription

I get my "history and culture" via TRJ and don't have any desire to look at a rag featuring tattoo billboards (Betty Page wanna bes). That just isn't my thing.

I get my "tech" here because all of the magazine tech seems to have turned into "this month we are going to install "you name the kit" sold by "you name the vendor". I get much more useful information out of the HAMB tech where someone shows how they shortened a torque tube or converted their generator to 12 volts than I do from a "kit" article. Not knocking "kits", some them are really good and save you time but a good "kit" comes with well written instructions and a contact point at the company in case of questions. That being said, why should I pay for a magazine featuring the instruction sheet for a product?

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the Rodders Journal would be my first choice. followed closely by HOT ROD Deluxe and Rod and Kulture even though I don't like Kulture.

I'm suprised Street Rodder has popped up as much as it has here. too much "how to bolt a advertisers part on your car" articles disguised as "tech"

18. Rock Island Rocket

Rock Island Rocket

I really like Hot Rod Deluxe, great mag!!!! I believe it only comes out quarterly, I pick it up at Wally World

19. HRD now available via sub

20. S.F.

S.F.

Hot Rod Magazine from 1948-1964

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

By making the statement that you don't want to see "doctor or lawyer" cars in a magazine, and also like the "lifestyle" stuff, too, tells me that you gravitate towards rat rods. Stick with Ol Skool Rods. Lots of different none of which have shiny paint, lots of people covered in tattoos trying to look hard, so that pretty much sounds like it hits the nail on the head.

If I were you, I'd quickly dispel the idea that just because a vehicle is finished, has shiny paint, nice chrome, or has monetary value, that it is somehow owned by a gold-chainer or like the like. There are plenty of professional quality builds rolling out of residential garages around here.

22. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Luv me some Traditional Rod and Kulture!

23. farmer12

farmer12

TRJ everytime.

24. cavemag

cavemag

It depends on what issue you get. They do have some shiny cars here and there. The last issue I picked actually only had one ratty looking ride. The main reason I pick it up though is the fact that it generally has bikes and rods. Two birds one stone kind of deal.

25. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

If I were you, I would dispel the idea that you can read a guys mind from a sentence like this:

"The way I see it, a good magazine would have a lot of cars in it, not $30,000 "doctor and lawyer" cars, but stuff a guy built on his own that you could see yourself doing. "

What part of that says I don't like or appreciate well built, quality cars? As far as the other stuff, so I like rockabilly and chicks with tattoos...That seems to tell you all you need to know about me....

Just saying I want to read about stuff I can relate to, learn a few things I might be able to use. Not digging the high dollar customs because thats not something I'm gonna be doing. Same as I don't want to read a magazine about tuners or musclecars, just not my thing.

Nothing wrong with a well built car with a great paint job, but theres also noting wrong with a car that is not perfect but is the best a guy could do or afford...

I suspect we're both the same page when it comes to deliberately doing a crappy job though...Not a fan.

26. Docs_Rubb

Docs_Rubb

Hemmings Classic Car

27. TwinTownTerror

TwinTownTerror
    from Minnesota

I know it's not just one but...

TRJ, TR & K, HRD, and Hot Rod (because it was only $20 for three years)

28. Tarlo

Tarlo

TRJ, got em all from issue #8, plus all of the books.

I get Street Machine every month here in Australia, then kick myself in the balls for doing so.

Sometimes I'll pick something else up, but I tend to just buy back issue from the 50s, 60s and early 70s on ebay.

My house is crumbling under the weight of magazines...

29. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

"My house is crumbling under the weight of magazines..."

Heh heh heh. I know what you mean...Thats why I started this thread, looking to cut back on my magazine load....