Register now to get rid of these ads!

if you had $1000 dollars and this car..........PHOTOCHOP!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zodiac matt, Sep 1, 2008.

1. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

say you had $1000 dollars and this car (my 1960 bel air) what would you do to it, it runs and drives good, only thing it really needs is exhaust

im thinking, air shocks in the rear (cheap fake bag setup way) so it will sit real low and be able to raise a bit when needed, lower the front alot, chrome reverse smoothies, fender skirts, and side exit exhaust before the back tires, paint is still up in the air, lets see what you guys think

[​IMG]

2. Throttlehead250

Throttlehead250
    from Houston TX

sorry i can photoshop, but man i love those body lines!!

3. I'd paint it yellow with a black and white checkered stripe down the side. Get a light up sign that says "Taxi" and you'll be golden, man.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hmm... wide whites, a nice set of vintage hubcaps and then I'd get rid of those 6X9 speakers.

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  6. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

Check the brakes and front end first, then if all is good I would do wide whites and correct hubcaps and fix the exhaust loose the speakers and see if you can locate the missing moldings.

7. Wide whites, reverse chrome steelies, and PLEASE PUT THE DAMN CHROME BACK ON!

Paint looks fine, can you drop it an inch or two?

8. oh wait, that's primer. forget the steelies, go for the cheap paint job, white

9. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

the speakers are now in the trunk, the picture is a few weeks old, im thinking hot rod flats grey and keep the roof in red pearl

10. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Air shocks won't get you low in the rear much unless you lower the rear suspension first. Deflated air shocks are just that- with a nice flimsy ride. Cutting coils in front is a cheap way out-to a harsher ride. Why not run what you have now for the time being?

For $1000, I'd do the bodywork, paint, exhaust, and drive it as is. But you may not have that ability. Whatever you do, no flat black with red wheels...:D Get it SAFE and have the suspension/brakes/u-joints checked out, get it running good with a new exhaust, and go from there. Save your money for upgrades later. How is the interior?

Stick around here and do searches for inspiration.

BTW, find the missing eyebrow trim, that could be half your budget.

11. Brandi

Brandi

Meh, I wouldn't waste $1,000 on bags.

12. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

it is very safe, i re did the front and rear brakes and wheel cylinders, the steering is tight but is going to get replaced anyway, i have steering and suspension this semester and the teach said i can do it in school for credit!

most of the body work is done, a few spots need some bondo that i do have already, really the main thing right now is exhaust, wheels, carpet, and lowering, all of which cost money! lol

13. Tony

Tony

Trim the front coils to give it a stance instead of dropping the whole car, these car's look real good either low all around, OR with a nice rake to them.damn close to free by using what's already there and doing it yourself...
    Quick paint job once you've finished your body work..White would look nice, maybe a different colored roof if you so choose. a few hundred in budget supplies if you have the ability to spray it yourself.
    Some spider caps with thin whites on your steel wheels, or wide if that's what you like ( although they are a lot more cash) and your exhaust..
    Jc Whitney carpet...do they still make them??? If so, the're cheep the last time i looked..
    Ya never know, if ya scrounge and get some deal's you may even have a little left over for gas......a little :)

Case in point, i just GAVE away a brand new dual exhaust for an X frame Chevy..no muffler's, but new walker pipes i had laying here..
    Sometime's people have stuff just sitting..you might get lucky with your need's and find them.

Although i will admit, 1000 dosn't go too far now day's.

My 2 cents :D
    Tony

14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Spend it all on cheap paint and good used chrome. Then when you see a fabulous deal on wheels you can add em later

15. USAF or USN staff car. Paint accordingly and get yourself a military haircut.

16. Just lower it a bit.

When you get some $$ hit up the swap meets for some chrome reverse wheels. Perhaps Bellflower tips if you desire...

It doesn't need much to be a decent looking car. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you're going to knock anyone's socks off with the thing, it is a 4 door. Don't sink any more money into it than you need to. I wouldn't bother painting it if it was me. Just lower it, and put on stuff that you can take off again before you sell it and get the 2 door version.

Attached Files:

17. Joe King

Joe King

cut the coils so it drops a couple of inches take the grand and hit the road tell it runs out sell the car and fly home

18. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

19. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I would buy a hardtop windshield, and get to cutting....

Attached Files:

20. BJR

BJR

Sell it.... then I'd have $2000.

21. sickboy

sickboy
    from canada

you should bag it, and paint flat black leave the red top with red and white pinstripping it would look sick....

22. badlefihand

badlefihand

Dump the skirts,Raise it ,rake it,get the chrome on it,dual exaust,and Black paint.Do it yourself.Sounds like your young and on a budget.Nothing wrong with your car. They all need saving.Body looks good from what can be seen. Drive it. In the late 60's into 70's many of them were dragging the ground most had a little puppet in the back window and it's head bobbed up and down.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  23. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

so your saying my car is only worth $1000 :mad:

24. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Don't get too upset, not everyone wants to, or can, spend every penny they have on their rides. It's your ride, do what you want.

The car looks to be in decent condition, I'm not a four door hot rodding type, I prefer two door models for hot rodding. I'd personally restore it to close to original condition and enjoy it. But that's my taste, if you want cut corners to get a certain look I say go for it as long as you make sure the mods you're going to do are safe.

Good luck.

25. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

i make sure everything i build is always safe, alot of the times i go out to cruises my little brother will come with me

i would love for it to be a 2 door, but its was the right price ($1100) and somewhat close to home

26. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

What he said. wide whites, caps, exhaust and you're broke again but with a nice ride.

You could double your cash though...let me know. :)

27. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Don't do that, and you will be one step closer to a cool looking car! :D

28. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I'd just keep it simple, lower it a tad, wide whites, chrome reverse and spider caps.

29. Andy

Andy

Stolen off the bay. I like white!

Attached Files:

30. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Just an idea, what do think about two dooring it? I know it's not within a $1000 budget but I thought I'd see what it looked like,

[​IMG]