Register now to get rid of these ads!

If You Found Your Dream Car How To Make it Happen ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grazy, Feb 15, 2013.

1. grazy

grazy

How many have a plan, in place to make it happen ? Have you ever thought about it ? You stumble onto THE ONE could you make it happen move funds to own it quickly ? A secret stash for money down til you could get it all together ?

2. Nope
    There are people on here that have liquid assets but I am not one of them. if I find something and I don't have the mnoey to get it I just don't get it.

3. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Other than the dotted lines tattooed on my abdomen that say "Cut Here - Kidney Within"?

4. No liquid money here but i sure find a way to get it done. I don't have a dream car. I want one of each.

5. Well I am about out of things that I am willing to sell, and it is not likely that anyone is going to pay me for sex in the very near future. :D

6. jesse1980

jesse1980

If I can't pay cash for something, I don't get it.

7. I certainly can't, and there's a really good chance I never will. I just didn't choose a profession that'll ever allow me to

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. secret stash? mines in the bank...if i need some money i go get some

9. From the days when I was growing up and reading Hot Rod Magazine I wanted a Hot Rod,,,my dream car at that time was a Deuce but being a poor kid that wasn't going to happen.

Strange as it may seem I acquired a 32 Ford Coupe from a neighbor at the age of 12,,my ownership was cut short within a few hours by my father,,has something to do with living in the Bible Belt of the South.

Life went on and I got married and was raising a family and having had numerous cars over the years but having a Deuce was just out of reach but I settled for model A's,,in fact several different ones,,as the family grew I moved on to 40 Fords,,but the Deuce was still in the back of my mind.

I never deprived my family of anything they needed to support my hobby,,always trading and selling trying to get my dream car,,a Deuce,,

I finally was able to do some trading with racinman here on the Hamb to take possession of a original '32 tudor sedan,,and then a string of Deuces.

I have never been fortunate enough to have a lot of liquid cash but by building and selling I have been able to get my dream car.

I worked a regular 50-60 hour work week for many years,,I also always had a extra part time job and hung wallpaper on the side for over 20 years.

I have what I have by working for it. HRP

10. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Hmm...I've already had 'THE ONE' for me, and had to part with it. I'd probably do something dirty to get it back if the chance arose...!!!

11. I sold my '68 Dart big block four speed car (1 of 98 built) in order to get my dark blue 1931 Dodge Brothers 3 window coupe. I REALLY wanted to keep that Dart, but you know how priorities go....

Attached Files:

12. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

No hope for me.....my dream car is sitting in a very small cramped wooden single car garage about 25 miles from me, it is a 49 mercury convertible, it was built by Sam Barris, has paperwork from when built, the current owner has a pic of Sam working on the car, and has all receipts from when he had the car built.....some day I will be able to go make him an offer on it.... Jim

13. LaurieB

LaurieB

Not really at the moment... Really squeezed everything to get the '59 - which I'm really happy about. That and the other cars are a bit of a money pit at the moment. But there's still many more dream cars and hopefully soon will be in a position to chase them again. I do want to get into a situation though where I do have savings set aside for when one pops up.

14. grazy

grazy

I have 4 kids at home they are the world to me and have never done with out. When I have found things I want it has always been traded swapping & working to get stuff . My house will be mine shortly trying to put money in retirement but am trying to get a car That I dream of owning instead of always settling for something to get me by for awhile. My orignal game plan was a big antique toy collection I have been amassing for years when kids were gone broom 90% of the collection to get my dream car . But I wondered if anybody had swung that dream aquisition in other interesting ways .

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being retired we must be a little cautious BUT if the right one came along I might spring for it as long as it did not jeopardize our future-if it did, I would just pass.
    Sometimes the one car you dream about can become a nightmare after acquisition-been there-done that. Acquired the cars we have by working O.T. as much as possible and stashing $$ away for many years and buying/trading cars as well-only way I could justify it.

16. sscargo

sscargo
    from La Grange

Could never afford my dream car, so I'm building as close a replica as I could, buying and making the parts. 4 years after I started it is almost done.

17. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I honestly dont know if I could. I am pretty sure I could but not sure. I guess it all comes down to Want and Need and my mood for me.

at age 46, kids raised, pay cuts at work, investments just starting to perform...again.... It would all come down to cost, and mood.

18. n847

n847

Not much liquidity here! But I'm fortunate enough to know that if that car (I would know it when I saw it likely a Deuce or Model A) popped up I have some family who would loan me the money (to be paid back with intrest I assure you). If not My brother and I would pool assets and man whore to make up the difference...However I'll be relying on my brother to carry the "load" on that one as marriage has treated me well...my physique not so much!

However there is a short list of cars 56 chevy , 62 Chevy II in particular that I would jump through hoops to score, but not ask for money from anyone else.

Then there's the I'd like to own list! My father in-law will do anything to make a buck and has expressed intrest in helping me help my self by flipping a few cars. He has given me rules though. He pays for the car I pay for the parts. I'm on the hook for the labor, then we split the proffit...I figure its a good way to fund my build, and get to "own" a few cars I wouldn't other wise be able to. Win Win right?

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

No, there is no secret stash of funds. However if THE CAR turned up there would be a fire sale and phone calls made. Bob

20. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I have a list of about ten cars I'd like to own, and I feel lucky that I have three that are on that list: a 1970 Dodge Challenger; a hot rod roadster; and a tri-Five Chevy.

I've always loved the 1939 Deluxe and 1940 Standard Fords, so that's on the list. Same with the 1940/1941 Willys Coupes and 1933/1934 3 window Fords.

If an affordable one came along, I'd probably move to own it, but I won't go broke trying to get them. After all...

Happiness isn't having what you want, it's wanting what you have. :)

I guess that's easy for me to say, though! ;)

21. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

22. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

cash Is king and the only way to go.smart man.

23. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i have moved mountains to get cars in the past---but there was always the next one---i finally learned that----no more gotta have it cars---my stash went to keep a couple of my sons alive---well spent

24. When I got close to 60 years old, I began to see friends and buddy's dying off....it was all the motivation I needed to go straight to the very top of my "must build" list. I totally HAD to have a model 40 ford coupe.
    Fate works in strange ways. This guy found I was selling off my 53 stude coupe collection and offered to swap a 34 ford rolling chassis for one of the coupes...I went for it.
    A week later my best friend stopped by my house to show me his "new" 34 ford coupe body...it was cut into 4 pieces and all fit into a chevy shortbox with the tailgate up and it was really sad...he wanted my chassis and I wanted that rusty, dented, cut-up body.
    I eventually won out and he sold the body to me. Paid for it with $$$ from selling the other 3 studes. After replacing all the unusable body panels the only original body parts were the top [already cut off] and the tulip panel between the back of the top and the front of the decklid.'
    Been working on this car for years and I couldn't be happier...got the #1 car on my list!
    I pay for body work with swap meet profits and doing mechanic work on my body man's projects...he's a body man, not a mechanic and I'm just the opposite...works out ok so far.

Attached Files:

25. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

another smart man Black 62,Iam still trying to move a few mountains to get a few more but once I get them I'am done buying for a few weeks.

26. 210eddiep

210eddiep

No cash here. Trying to trade my 71 ranchero for a 57 ranchero. No luck so far.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Heck, that's a fine dream^. A few aussies would go for your '71 I reckon. We had a similar ute (Falcons - still in production, and have been since the first in '60).

I left a 4 door aussie econobox under a tarp in my brother's yard for 25 years. For a long time I never wanted it. It's all I had. It's all I've got. it's now the dream. I don't wan't anything else. It's perfect. Today is Saturday- I just restored some interior pieces.
    Pork'n'beaner nailed it. Sex included (that's a bad pun..)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  28. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I sell my current dream car and anything else that's not been used/worked on/started in the past year.

29. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I have always fell into what I have wanted within reason. When I was a teen in the late 90s I wanted a 70 Hemi Cuda however a clean 340 4 speed AAR clone fell into my lap. Next I wanted a 48-53 chevy pickup however a decent 54 came along and its filled the void. Next will be a 29-31 model a pickup and something will happeb when the time is right.

30. gfr220

gfr220

My list of cars before I am through:
    1935 Dodge Pickup (First Half) Just got it 3 months ago
    1934 Dodge Coupe I plan to start looking for it in 3 years when I am through with Truc[​IMG]k.