Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Idle Curiosity

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KomptonKid, Jan 19, 2011.

1. KomptonKid

KomptonKid

Its 1974, the California Kid was a recent TV movie, Jacobs and Chapouris are all over the Rod mags, and I was hot for chopped '34's. An ad shows up in the Pomona, CA Progress Bulletin for same, for the sum of $350.00, cheap even then. Turns out to be a no-floor shell on a wasted frame, with boatanchor Olds engine. But sweet '40's-early '50's chop, complete with chopped window frames.

The guy who was selling it was building rods out of his Shell gas station, located at Garey and the 10 freeway(still there). He was clearing out his inventory, moving to Kansas where "tin was still plentiful, not overpriced like out here." His name was Livingston, as I recall, and his first name was Skip, or Kip, I believe. Never heard of him since, and always wondered what happened with him and his business. Anyone by chance know or heard of him?

2. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Well I live pretty much walking distance from that Shell your talking about thats on the corner of Garey Ave. & Orange Grove Blvd and do buy gas there occasionaly.
    Maybe I can ask about him next time I see the current owner..
    Oh and BTW I reccomend changing the title of this thread, I don't think it does justice to what your asking, just my opinion.

3. KomptonKid

KomptonKid

I could do that, thanks, I'm still in the area, but its been so long(37 yrs) I figure the station has gone thru multiple hands. I just figured that if he established himself in the rod building business, as large as this forum is someone would have heard about him. No big deal, that's why the thread title.