Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods identifying small block fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Rinaldi, Dec 8, 2015.

1. 58custom

58custom

Tach and gauge dash was standard with the Rallye Pack option, but that one didn't get it (or is a restomod). I have a complete 4 speed conversion for a 72-later Torino. I had a 72/Q-code/Toploader Sportsroof as a teen.

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I stand corrected! Like squirrel said, Ford's can make your head hurt! I wasn't aware of those applications, so I should have added "as far as I know". Ford always seemed to have a few items that didn't follow their normal patterns, automatic transmissions seem to be one of them...

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

car is low mileage, and reputed to be factory, but I don't know that for sure. Its also a Canadian built car.

4. 58custom

58custom

All of this info about engine/trans combos in 1970's Ford intermediates is purely in the interests of quick & easy salvage yard or Craigslist purchase identification, for powering on-topic vehicles.

falcongeorge likes this.
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I posted the pics of the torino to help HAMBers identify possible toploader donor cars in the wreckers...;):p

6. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The C5 was a separate transmission. Used '83-'86 it was a C4 modified to accept a lock-up torque converter. The bell housing was longer, and used a different valve body. The case has better oiling and the internals are good. It's a good core for building a C4. Just need to use a C4 valve body, converter, and bell housing. The c5 also came in the 2 different case/bell configurations. Big bell, pan fill with the 164 tooth flexplate, and the small bell, case fill with a 157 tooth flexplate.

The small bell was used in compact cars to minimize the floor hump. Mid/full size, vans, trucks got the big bell.

Small bell case fill C4. Note the stepped case at the bell. The bell is attached by the seven 3/8" pump bolts

c4clean2s.jpg

Big bell, pan fill C4. Note the smoothly flared case at the bell. Attached with five 7/16" bolts.

c4panfill3s.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  7. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

WOW----Thank you,Thank you, Thank you. I asked a question and got an encyclopedia!!!! I really appreciate all the input. With this info at sites we'll figure it out. Thanks again. BILL RINALDI