Register now to get rid of these ads!

Identify a Drop tank for me....please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nailhead dodge roadster, Feb 4, 2012.

1. I am looking at a drop tank being sold locally, and honestly I don't know anything about them. What is the right or excepted tank to start with for a build?

I don't actually have any plans to build a car right away, but a few good parts have fallen in my lap recently, so I figure if the price is right, I would stock pile what I could find and have everything ready once the Model A and coronet are done.

If any of you have an idea as to what this came off of, please give me some clues.
    I did do a search, and there is a lot of good info here, just nothing that really identified this tank.

Also, any idea of the value? I know....its worth what i'll pay, but where do I start to price it?

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks the same as my old neighbor had at his military surplus store for years.
    Those were pretty small for building a car with. What's the length and diameter of that one?

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

No FSNs eh? I have no idea, but perhaps an O/A length and circumference at the fat part in the middle would help those who can tell them apart. Gary

4. steel or alum is also a good question ... that one looks to be steel.

Im prolly wrong but I think ww2 had two sizes (and thats it!) something like 350 and 500 gals ... after ww2 sizes were all across the boards. Yours looks to small to do much with

5. I haven't seen it in person yet, the guy just keeps posting it for sale with very little info. I shot an email to him, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

By the surface rust, i'll bet its steel.....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  6. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

"to small to do much with" I don't know how you can say that. Looks usable to me. Here are some dimensions for the P-38 Drop tanks. Yours does look to be smaller but those have been used also. Look at the size of the chair next to it to give you a better idea of the size.

Attached Files:

• p38.jpg
      p38.jpg
      File size:
      104.9 KB
      Views:
  7. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

steel. 10 ft. dont buy it unless you want yard art

8. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Looks to be the same as mine ww2 ish steel wing tank
    A lot of people poo poo them but with a little ingenuity I believe they can work and have the same basic look as the “cool” one.

I plan to cut about 24” out of the center of mine and add about 5 or 6 feet back in with some 18 gage rolled sides.
    I guesstamate this will also give it added width it needs in the center at the same time.

The top will be cut out for cockpit so ….. no need to fill / extend that
    The bottom will be pancaked flat so ……. no need to fill / extend that

This would all need to take place obviously after mocking up cockpit - drivtrain - water tank ……….for ruff dimensions.
    Being over 6 feet tall I think id be making the high dollar aluminum tank longer anyways.

9. stickwelder

stickwelder

I believe the picture shows a P 38 Wing Tank, also called drop tank. I had two a few months back (see my photo album) but sold them. They measure about 10" 4" in length and are made of steel.

The larger size aluminum ones are rare and valuable. "Juicebrakes" the website has some pics of an aluminum one. I've seen steel ones sell for $85. at a country auction and here locally for a few hundred in rusty shape.

10. Hey guys, thanks for the good info. Finally got ahold of the seller.....at $2000 I think i'll be passing on this drop tank. The guy wouldn't budge on the price.

11. robber

robber

Can't get a perspective of the size from the pictures, but the shape looks like a drop tank off of a P-38 from WWII. That would be perfect... just ask Alex Xydias:)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012