Register now to get rid of these ads!

Identification of Early Rear Engine Dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toby Denham, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Who knows anything about this early rear engine dragster? What I want to know specifically is how the blower drive is set up. The car is obviously powered by a Mopar "RB" series engine (383, 413, etc.). If you look closely, it was opted to drive the blower from the rear. What I can't figure out is how it is setup to be driven from the flywheel/clutch end of the crank. Someone among you knows the answer to this mystery .......... :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. SLCK64

SLCK64

Where is this said ride? supposed to be a pic too?

3. The photo should be visible now. I had some problems with the formatting of the photo.

To answer your question, I have read somewhere that the car was out of California, ca. 1960. I don't know where it is now.

The issue is that I'm rarely stumped on anything mechanical. However, this photo is a puzzlement. How in the hell is that blower drive set up? I have some theories, but I want to know so I can stop thinking about it. :eek::)

Somebody around here knows the answer.

4. Maybe he was running a V drive and the engine is in backwards??????

5. That was my and some others first thought. However, the engine is mounted conventionally. That blower is definitely driven from the back side.

There are some boat setups that drive the blower from the flywheel end of the crankshaft with the engine mounted front forward. This application is for jet drives where there is no room for a front driven blower. See photos below ........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note drive pulley working in conjunction with the flywheel.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

driven off the cam maybe?

7. 2racer

2racer

crankshaft is hollow with another shaft running thru it, made from alien dna alloy...

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

My interp is that the black part that you think is a blower belt is a chain guard and there is a gear between the crank flange and flywheel. The real issue is how the engine-clutch-rearend is coupled together as there isnt a great deal of space between them- definatly a high gear setup.

9. ^^^ Yeah ... I figured it probably had to be a chain drive. It would be cool to see the setup at the crank. The bell housing had to be slotted to allow the chain to pass through.

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Hot Rod, Jan. 1961
    001.jpg 002.jpg

Sorry about the quality. Scanner isn't the best.

11. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a few from the 50's in So Cal.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

And there you have it!

13. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Interesting to note that the chain is driving the left-side rotor instead of the right, a result of the crank running counter-clockwise as viewed from the rear. I never realized that you could switch the drive to either rotor to facilitate using the blower on either clockwise or counter-clockwise applications. Note to self for later.