Register now to get rid of these ads!

Identification help 192? Dodge? touring front half

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xsquiden, Jan 28, 2012.

1. xsquiden

xsquiden

I just aquired this touring front half from a friend. I have tried to find out what it is but have came up empty. I noticed that it has some similarities to a late teens early twenties Dodge but havent seen anything exact. I would appreciate the HAMBs help.

My plans for it are a kind of lakes style build full hood and sides plus a lakes style nose. I have a couple 283's and also a couple 2.3 fords and 5 speeds right now I will probably just put the 2.3 and 5 speed in it so I can get mileage and drive it as much as possible but as the build goes on plans will change but I am going to stay with a lakes style build just dont know the drivetrain.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.
    Later
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. F&J

F&J

It looks like Dodge for 2 reasons; the all steel body structure and also the inner door skin looks like Dodge.

The 23 and older Dodge touring/roadster bodies have a cowl lower side that is a large compound curve, almost like a pot belly stove. It curves under to meet the frame.

The 24 to 26 or so, has the more common flat sides on the cowl bottoms.

Do a google search on those years to see the differences.

3. xsquiden

xsquiden

Ok it has the flat sides so I'll look that up thank you. Im on the way out to start a fire in the garage and start workin on it. Thank you
    Later
    Mike

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

What does the back of it look like? It maybe a open cab pick up or screen side delivery cab. NoboD should be by with the DB info. Bob

5. Not Dodge with the suicide doors. Probably Hudson or Essex. They had suicide doors for a while.

6. F&J

F&J

It's a 4dr touring. You can see one rear door. There is a 23 Dodge open cab pickup here at my place, and they are completely flat (vertical) at the back of the cab.

7. evintho

evintho

8. studeynut

studeynut

Looks very similair to a friends 1914 Studebaker

9. xsquiden

xsquiden

Yeah it does have rear doors and the back was there but it was grown into a tree so my friends removed it. It is mangled but Im hoping that I can pull it all back out it will take some time but I dont have a woman at the house so I can spend all the time in the garage that I want plus it keeps me away from the bar. Im just happy that its not all that rusted.
    Thanks for all the answers
    Later
    Mike

10. noboD

noboD

Yup, I'm with 31Dodger on this one. It has things that look DB but it's not. The Studie idea might be correct.

11. xsquiden

xsquiden

I did some more searching this morning it doesnt look like a dodge because the rear doors on a dodge are suicide and these arent. I also looked at willys and stude but they dont look the same. Anybody have any more ideas plus here are some more pics.
    Thanks
    Mike

Attached Files:

12. Oh...SO sorry. I see that it is NOT a suicide door. My apologies to all. I still don't think it is Dodge since it has no "kick-up" at the windshield corners unlike a Dodge which does.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think it is Dodge either and from looking at photos of a 24 Studebaker touring body that is for sale locally it doesn't look like Studebaker.

The dash is probably the best key to what it is/was. And it could be one of a lot of things in that time period as there were a lot of different brands built around that time. You might start with doing searches for something like 1920 touring car and go though the photos until you find ones with the door tops that match the front doors along with the lines for what the cowl should be. You would only have to stop and look at the good possibilities out of the bunch.

Photo of the local 24 Studebaker for comparison

Attached Files:

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I always enjoy these "What's It" posts, the doors seam a bit taller than most cars in that era, wish the photos were clearer in the Standard Catalog of American Cars.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. noboD

noboD

Like MR48Chev said, I think the dash is the key to identity. The oval hole might tell the tale.I see now from the pic of the Studie it is differant too. Look how the windshield kicks up on the Stud.