Register now to get rid of these ads!

Identification Challenge....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Uncle Bob, Nov 30, 2010.

1. ......#9,467,533.

I picked up this gauge panel a couple years ago to put in the '28 roadster. The seller said he thought it was from an Essex, but I knew that wasn't correct as the Essex have hex shaped faces. It reminds me of some I've seen in REOs, but I haven't found a match. I sent a picture to the guy at http://sites.google.com/site/identifyinginstrumentpanels/home/clusters-gauges-page-1 , he was stumped. I've posted up on the AACA board figuring at least one ol' fart there should recognize it, but nada. I've had lots of people take W.A.G.s at it, but that only gave me more practice at using the search engine to verify they were guessing. Based on the style I've got to believe it's late '20s, maybe drifting into early '30s. Typical SW guts, but then many manufacturers then sourced from SW. The little shield shape at the bottom hasn't helped as it's smooth, perhaps had a badge on it, but they didn't use glue back then for this kind of thing to my knowledge, and there's no evidence of a hole filling. Anyway, thought I'd take a shot to see if anyone here actually knows what it's from.

Attached Files:

2. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

pics would help....

3. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i don't have a clue , but it is bitchin .
    sweeeet.
    thanx

4. Early '30s Studebaker or Nash?

5. At first I thought about Nash and it's slightly similar but not quite there. The elaborate scrolling seems the most distinguishing feature beside the shield like corner theme.

6. I was thinking Nash or Star. Looks a hell of a lot nicer than this Bentley. Restorers huh !!

Attached Files:

7. If you've got a specific Star reference I'd appreciate your posting it up.

On the Bentley I think they were trying to give the driver something to keep himself occupied whenever the Lucas electricals do what they do (or would that be don't?).;)

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

geez...that Bentley - I don't have that many gauges in my C185...talk about being distracted by texting...by the time the driver scanned all those gauges, he'd be in the next county.

as to your gauge panel ID...I haven't a clue (and my kids remind me of that status constantly)

dj

9. Well, it's been awhile so maybe now some fresh eyes will see it.

10. LowFat48

LowFat48

looks like a Chandler....

11. henry29

henry29

It is 27-28 Essex

12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

While I cannot tell you what it is, I can tell you what it isn't: A '28, or '29 Essex.

Marcus...

13. Hmmmm, now you're on to something I think. The shield like logo they had is a similar shape to that at the bottom of the panel. The only picture I could find of late '20s dash was a '27 and that looks to predate this panel style wise. So, given that '29 was the last year of Chandler, if you're correct then this is a '28 or 9 panel. Do you have any pictures of that vintage Chandler dash to confirm?
    Thanks.

14. henry29

henry29

15. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Don't know what it is but I wish it were mine...

16. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

x2.

17. moefuzz

moefuzz

This looks very close to Essex or Hudson, late 20's.
    Both the above companies were connected at the hip and their instrument clusters (tthru the late 20's) were similar in their respective years. -Slight differences were seen with each model and several models debuted each year.
    Essex was always known for the fine engraving which at times featured acorns.
    This looks very much like a late 20's Essex and the scroll work points toward a higher end model but......

18. moefuzz

moefuzz

Your instrument cluster pic is not the clearest and it's hard to see the shape of the badge at the bottom.

Do any of these look close?

Nash Lafayette from the 30's
    [​IMG]

27 or 28 Chandler
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29 Graham Paige
    [​IMG]

Many Radiator emblems from the 20's and 30's look similar to the above in their general shape not unlike these

REO
    [​IMG]

Erskine
    [​IMG]

Oakland
    [​IMG]

Knight
    [​IMG]

Windsor
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  19. Thanks guys for bringing some enthusiasm to the challenge.

I think this picture below should put the Essex thing to bed for those so tempted. As Moe said, they were thematically similar. If your vision were fuzzy the outline is very similar, even have those scallops on the corner, though less defined on the Essex. And the scroll work was part of the panel molding, as well as some sort of engraving on the inner panel. The speedo head is probably the exact same unit from SW, but others used that as well. But the "tell" on an Essex is the hexagon shape of the individual gauge faces, it mirrors the Essex logo.

Moe, you're really into this man, grateful. Yeah, both the REO and the Chandler are closest to what's on my panel. I was aware of the REO, and thought the scallops at the upper corners of their shield were a clue mirrored in the fascia, but in looking at about a 10 year span of REOs there were panels that were again vaguely similar, but not on the nuts. Lowfat reminded me of Chandler which got me combing the web. What's exciting, to me anyway, about that second Chandler badge you posted is the shape of the scallops at the corners and that there are 4 of them, very similar to my cluster. While no pictures (yet?) I ran across a couple enthusiasts that had posted email addys so I fired off notes and pictures to them. We'll see if that does anything.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  20. Henry, that other thread you posted looks like the same panel, though upside down (?). Hmmmmm. They were speculating it was an Essex, but the guys who challenged that gave some good indicators why it wasn't an Essex. So, maybe a hacked Chandler? Hopefully we'll find out, and as a bonus, Sean81 will find out what he really has.

21. henry29

henry29

The car in the other thread is definitely a Chandler, the firewall is identical to the one I posted above.

22. Between lowfat, you and moe it looks like we're zeroing in.
    Don't you love puzzles? Thanks.

23. LowFat48

LowFat48

I searched and could find no pictures of a Chandler gauge panel , It was just from memory of a car I saw at a show , I did find this pic , the gauges look very similar.

Attached Files:

24. Strong memory and a good eye, you're blessed. That looks like a kissin' cousin. I'm wondering if the one henry linked to that looks "upside down" compared to mine, and this one that's very similar, are model or year variations in an attempt to change things up at a minimal cost. Still haven't heard from either of the Chandler enthusiasts I emailed yet.

25. LowFat48

LowFat48

The Cleveland was a lower priced version of the Chandler , could be one of those also . Chandler was bought up by Hupp motor company

26. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

I really hate to speculate about things of which I don't really know but this could be a moon piece. Not moon speed parts but the original car company moon.

Bu to clear this up, I don't think it could an early Stude part. Check out the classic instruments page to see why.

27. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Also on the classic instruments page are some hupp gauge panels, and I was gonna say how they look to be flashy in the same way, but I didn't want to put more ideas in his head.

28. I think brother lowfat might deserve some kind of prize.

I just got this picture from one of the Chandler owners I wrote. He's not a hard core Chandler guy so couldn't I.D. mine, but says this is his dash from his '29.............looks identical to your last picture low.....

Attached Files:

29. LowFat48

LowFat48

good deal! it`s a piece of art , and it will look great in your car.

30. I did a little digging on your Cleveland idea. Chandler ceased production of the Cleveland in early '26. Based on most other cars I've seen of this period, these "fancy" dashes didn't seem to appear in any significant number until the '27-8 model year, sooooo........I'm hoping for the other Chandler guy to come through. He showed 3 or 4 Chandlers in his collection, so may be more of that brand knowledgable.

Here's a pic of the dash from my '28 roadster, with insert, that I had water jet cut for the cluster fitment.

Attached Files: