Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ideas on Steering Columns

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Come on big Mike! Throw your arm out the window :D

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Do you actually think 90% of the people on the road today would know what that means?!! They don't even use turn signals anymore. About 105 bucks but if I built my own column I guess it'd balance out. I didn't know they had anything like this, guess I'm a little behind!

dana barlow likes this.
  3. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

The only drawback that I found with the push bottom switches is that you have to look and see where the buttons are and steady yourself to push the correct button. I had my switches on the RH side of the column mounted on the bottom of the dash. Just wasn't as a flowing operation like a column lever is but they worked well otherwise just like a motorcycle's switches do.

4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I built my last one from a piece of exhaust tube , caged ball bearings and a piece of 3/4 round shaft . For the tapered piece at the top , I used a piece of a heavy funnel to match the size of steering wheel . For signal switch , it was an NOS signal stat switch . Perfect ERA correct . Brake lights , turn indicator , hazard flash all worked great . I had a 72 Jeep CJ5 , that had the very same style column in it . The Jeep , turn switch had a roller on that rolled along the bottom of the wheel , that was the self cancel for it . Really cool simple stuff , if you ever thing about it and see one check it out . Oh , I did cut my 3/4 round-to DD shaft so it was solid , I used a coupling not a ujoint between box and column .

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

The momentary switch only activates the flasher unit. The length of time is determined by how long you press the button. The 4 ways stay on until you push the button again. The instructions are on the Speedway website. The only thing that threw me, was that the switch must have the power go thru it to the lights. I wanted to just ground the signal thru the switch.

6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I seen the instructions, didn't realize the buttons were on the module itself, thought you had to install your own. I'd like to see the self canceling deal on that jeep column.

dana barlow likes this.
  7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

After my old F1 steering box went bad,my fault,I didn't check it enough=got water in it an rusted H out of gears n bearing. I had a vaga box n arm,but no column I liked,so used part of center shaft from F1 an made the rest. I found a polished alum tube from picnic table pop-up cover and a Stainless drinking cup from super market. Made some end bearing for tube for shaft an fabbed a bracket out of a few lengths of stainless tubing.
    I've used hand signs from when I built rod in 1959 tell now,they know,if not they mostly fig it out. High n low is part of my light switch in dash. The tiny little button pad is 1955 to 1963 rock n roll to under dash speakers.
    014.JPG

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  8. I helped that on my Willys with its truck turn signal setup by inserting a small electronic chime in the circuit. Got it from Radio Shack that doesn't exist any longer so you have to find an electronics store or off ebaY. Only costs a few bucks and I can hear it over the hemi roar and Rush on the radio.

s-l1600.jpg
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-12V-...=2526498672562ffb5cee7c984aa9a03428984ab4a4c6

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  9. Lmao!!! I catch myself doing it even with my turn signal on :rolleyes: :D