Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ideas on Garage Ventilation (Cooling)???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aeroman, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Aeroman

Aeroman

Fellas, I need your ideas on how to vent this garage. During the warm season, it becomes a baking greenhouse in there. I have no ventilation nor insulation (see pics and video). The roof has that cement tile. I was thinking of an attic fan but I would need to locate a spot for a gable. Any ideas? Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Aeroman

Aeroman

and I live in Southern California...

3. flathead okie

flathead okie

It's kinda hard for me to see the shape of your garage from your pics or video. Probably post pic's of the outside of your garage so we can get a better view of the actual shape.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Big attic fan would be a good starting point--and exhaust fans in any windows, too. With air going out, I like the effect I get with the garage door up about 3 inches or so for some high-velocity flow.
    A useful adjunct piece, if you can find one, is the old hassock type fan, a fan that sits on the floor in a foot stool shaped housing. These things create a lot of air movement without a draft, and are very nice to have close to where you are.

5. 47bob

47bob

I'd put a swamp cooler in an outside wall.

6. evltwin

evltwin
    from Milford MI

They have roof fans. They have a plastic cover on the outside to resist weather. They are controlled by a thermostat (included)

Home Depot website:
    Master Flow
    Power Roof Mount Vent 1600 CFM'S Shingle Match Weatherwood
    Model 732705
    Price: $89.95/ea

7. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Gable vents with fans tied into an attic automatic thermostat will make a huge difference, will help prolong your roof too.

8. Ridge vents work, Cross ventilation works with fans in opposing walls pushing and pulling.

9. Put in some gable vents with fans,,,,and put a ceiling in that building with insulation,,,that will help more than you can imagin!HRP

10. Clyde

Clyde
    from Las Vegas

Evaprotive coolers (Swamp Cooler) work great as long as the wet bulb in your area cooperates. Check the web, there is a site that lets you put your zip or area in and it tells you if a swamp cooler would be effective. Here is Las Vegas as long as the wet bulb is below 20% the evaprotive cooler works great. I cool my 2000 S.F. house most of the summer, other than the monsoon season ie. (this past month of July). Keeps my house at 78 to 72 degrees and the power bill is around $100 per month. The unit I have is a window mount unit that cost me $350 at Lowes. Paid for the unit in the first 2 months of use, power bill with out Evaprotive cooler, running AC is around $250 to $350 per month. Just a thought, do a search on evaprotive coolers on the web and learn more.

11. Catdaddyo

Catdaddyo

I live in Winchester right next to you, in out track its about 3 years old there are four vents in the roof of the garage they help alot. I have a small swamp cooler thats on rollers it helps, bigger would be better. Swampers are not good for bare steel.

Kevin

12. squirrel

squirrel

insulation and drywall....really....it makes a huge difference.

13. Squirrel cage near the roof peak (blowing OUT) on a temp sensor.

Ceiling fan running 24/7 on a low setting.

Dehumidifier (if humidity is a problem in your neck of the woods) mounted in the rafters, with a hose running outside.

All of the above.

Use a vapour barrier if you're going to insulate/drywall.

14. rodknocker

rodknocker

I'd put a fire pit right in the middle and my grill,carpet the floor and paint the whole place flat black.Sorry just being my dickhead self

15. Aeroman

Aeroman

Dang, thanks for all of the quick responses!!! Trust me, I am printing out your suggestions as we speak! Catdaddyo, do I know you? Your name sounds familiar. Here are images of the house from the outside:

[​IMG]

16. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

This one works for me,
    open that big white door,
    then open the side door.
    TP

17. leadsled01

leadsled01

Try the Garage Journal.

18. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

19. My suggestion, get ventilation and insulation,

then add air conditioning.

No thanks necessary.

20. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

I agree. I put a/c in my garage last summer. Best $400 I ever spent. It's never over 78 degrees in there and no humidity. I also have good insul. in the walls and ceiling and a huge fan to evacuate the smoke when I torch something. I work in an un-airconditioned shop all day. If I had no a/c I'd never go out in my garage when I got home.