Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ideas needed... V12 in what ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HighSpeed LowDrag, Oct 26, 2008.

1. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

So I have a couple of V12 Gmc engines. Also a spare set of heads (4).

Been trying to decide what to do with one of these V-12's. The COE thing seems the most logical but I haven't found the "affordable" COE " that does'nt need a ton of metal work.

What I have to work with body wise is a "29 Dodge 4-door body that's been cut down to a 2-door, a '30 Chevy Sedan body,and a '24 Model T Coupe body.

After a year of what should I do with the V-12, I'm still at a loss as to what to do.

Not trying to do a Blastoleen (sp) type thing.

Any ideas? Motor weighs around 1400 lbs. Can you say front heavy?

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

pre-war pickup with the hood lenthened. should be a chevy or gmc

3. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I have a '41 Chevy dually but the lengthened hood throws the proportions all out of whack. I've thought about that too.

FWIW - I don't want to sit next the motor.

4. roadster p/u mid engine .. now long bed of coarse

or with a trans axle sidewinder style

should fit any where a 6 will fit

5. Mid engine PU. Use the Chevy - cut down to a "extended cab" pickup. Engine mounted backward in bed, running thru a shorty Glide to a V drive (inside cab), then back to an offset Quickchange just in front of the tailgate.

Hmmm...seems like I've thought about this before.

6. NoPaint

NoPaint

I love the twin-six engines. Care to post some pictures of the cars and especially engines?

7. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Trade one of your cars for something worthy of that engine, like an old Diamond T truck.

It's a huge motor, and it's gonna look silly in anything smaller than a full blown truck. Provided you could get it built right, it would make a great tow-rig.

8. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Yep. I rather see it in the mid / back of something then see a rod with a looooooooong nose on it........IMP!:D

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Friend has one that he plans to build a Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang type touring out of, you could build the sedan version. :rolleyes:

10. One of those old Caddys that came with a V-16 ought to have enough room for it. Now in terms of fuel economy, we're looking at gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon.

11. yep long bed roadster p/u with a metal floor grate(metal stair treads ?) over the engine so the bed would still be flat.. yet cooled by air circulation... radiator too
    remote sidedraft carbs (cycle)onthe box sides
    exhaust every fricken where

put engine backwards
    even do frontwheel drive (off a narrow jeep or scout front)
    rear end using a lowerd beam axle (for clearance with welded steering like ol p/u box trailer)

12. JackShaft

JackShaft

I think it would be cool if you attempted something similar to what HAMB'er Superleggera did for the 32 ford art challenge.

[​IMG]

The sheetmetal in front of the cowl is stretched 8 inches over a stock wheelbase. I personally love the look. But I can't imagine the exact look with your choice of cars/steel.

Good luck no matter what.

- Andy

13. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Them 702 Jimmys will pass damm near anything but a gas station. Don't think you will ever see 4MPG with one.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Only one answer, front engined dragster. Gary

15. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Trade? What does that word mean? If I can't find a car/truck worthy of the V12, then I'll eventually build one that is. No need to sell or trade to get what I want.

I totally agree with the full blown truck thing as well as the tow rig thing.
    Just need some different ideas as the the 2 motors that I have are just begging for a home. I haven't been able to come up with any concrete ideas on exactly what what I want and what would be feasible money wise.

I'll try to post pictures of motors and heads in the next few days.

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

You have a couple of those engines?

Put 2 side by side in the back of a '50s Panel Truck...

Edit.

This is how I'd do that.

Build a Rear Axle with three Spools, and dually Piecrust slicks ( like Eddie Hill's twin engined Dragster )
    Hook a V12 to each of the outside Spools with a slipper Clutch and a In & Out Box.
    Put a V6 GMC in the usual place in the front, mated to a Turbo350 going to the middle Spool ( for "normal" driving )
    Drive around with the V6, untill you need more performance, and then go to 30Cylinders...:) :)

In a '50s GMC Panel ( or a Chevy with a GMC Doghouse )

The only really trick piece would be the Axle, unless you need more driveshaft length for the V12's to make the Suspension work( then you could turn them backwards with Vdrives...)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  17. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

mid-mounted in the bed of an econoline or d100 pickup. hell, even a VW transporter would be cool

18. Any GMC truck came with an inline six, how much longer can your v12 be?

19. dawg

dawg

why not a wooden Chris Craft?...

20. a lot! :d

21. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

It sounds like were wanting to use somthing you already have. I would use the chevy sedan. Recess the motor in the firewall and sit in the back seat. All the body proportions normal. simpler. you might even get away with running hood sides and a hood. it would be pretty sneaky

22. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I'm building a 48 Ford COE and it is going to have the engine in back of the cab and I would have enough room for that GMC V12.......hint hint hint

23. just sell me one of your V12s, that should help... yup..

24. TERPU

TERPU

Man that's some serious thinkin' I'd love to see that!

Tim

25. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

They are about 58" long :eek:. I just finished making an adapter so I can use a 4L80E automatic. Mine is going mid-mount in a '50 GMC COE. Im hoping to get the mounts built and stab it while on vacation next week.

My V12 YouTube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG9VnCOoM9Q

I think one would be cool in a stretched front end rat rod with an open engine bay.

Attached Files:

26. A-Wall

A-Wall

how much power does one of these engines make? It better be alot for all that weight...

27. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

"Only" 250 horsepower, but almost 600 pounds of torque!

28. That is the way to go. Big truck engine needs a big truck. Also considering the engine weight, you need truck size suspension. Mid-engine is best to show off the engine, you certainly are not getting any real power or gas mileage. Thos eengines are low-rpm high torque truck type engines. Not hot rod drag racing engines. They also have pretty bad efficiency, us e a lot of fuel.

29. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Quote "They also have pretty bad efficiency, us e a lot of fuel."

Yeah but gas is so cheap now :rolleyes:

30. cody repp

cody repp
    BANNED

ummmmmmmmm..............
    can anyone say LaFrance firetruck cut and made into a big roadster?
    now your talking bad ass status