Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ideas needed for a steering column boot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmac620, Dec 14, 2011.

1. dmac620

dmac620

I am looking for ideas on what to use for a steering column boot to seal the column and fire wall on my 26 coupe. Space is very limited and the shape is irregular with the joints in the floor board. The only things I could think of was using the rubber part of a small plunger or maybe one of those rubber caps that go on PVC pipes to close off one end.

What have you used? Pictures would be great if you could post them.

Thanks.

2. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

You could have an upholsterer sew a vinyl boot to match your interior. Should be pretty cheap.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You can "carve" some dense foam like those kneepads they sell at Depot and other big box stores for gardeners. Ford used dense foam similar to that on later cars in varying thicknesses around pedals, columns at the floor/firewall, shifter seals etc.

4. I think I was lookin at shifter boots...

5. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Build a little dome out of small tubing and cover it with a WWII leather bomber cap.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Caulk ...............

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

Go down to the parts house and get you a pancake for a 30/30 airbrake chamber. Cut to fit. Used one before. Don't go to autozone and ask for a brake pancake. The kid behind the counter will send you to Waffle House. N.A.P.A. stocks them. They come in different sizes. Small ones front about 5 1/2 inches rear 7 inches.

8. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Metal roofing pipe boot. Come in variety of sizes. Step cone easily cuts for variety of diameters. Metal rim bends to fit many contours. Rubber made to withstand ozone and UV.

9. Mark T

Mark T

Try a CV Joint Boot

Attached Files:

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

hardware store plumbing roof vent seal

[​IMG]

11. boutlaw

boutlaw

I used a shifter boot because I had a new unused one in the shop. I just cut the top two donuts out to fit the diameter of the column. The one I used had a metal band at the base of the boot covered with the boot rubber that worked great for the slight bend necessary to transition from the flat firewall over to the tranny tunnel.