Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ideas for modernizing the drive train on '57-'60 Ford PU's???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fortynut, Jun 17, 2013.

1. fortynut

fortynut

I recently made a deal for a nice '60 big back window I want to build and use as a shop truck. Because of that, I would very much appreciate anyone's ideas, suggestions, information, photos, drawings, and/or other images of projects and completed trucks, or whatever --- that may be informative. Has anyone discovered a suitable frame transplant, or clip, from a later vehicle with modern steering, braking and suspension updates, that works like gangbusters and can be done for the price of a microwaved burrito? And, of course, does any of this allow lowering without bags? Not that I'm against them, I just want something 'low-buck' and/or 'low-maintenance' because I want to drive like hell without having to look back to see if anything fell off because of the various road conditions we now have to deal with: bumps, dips, alligators on the interstate, road construction, and all the other inanities that plague our cities, surface streets, freeways, interstates, toll-roads, and back country lanes. And, I don't want to have to think about changing the ride height while I'm dodging semis, coyotes, pedestrians, bicycle riders and everything else that wants to share the roadway. So, please, don't take it personal and go off on a tangent about the pros and cons of something I will never use. I just want technical info from folks who have been there and done it, and come back alive to tell about it, with a little money left for a burger and coffee. So, if you have pertinent information, advice, or thoughts that may turn on that proverbial light in my head and guide me through my ignorance into something completed that will draw questions I can answer with, "I got that idea off the HAMB", you can rest easy that I won't hog all the glory for myself; and y'all can sleep and dream of the angels that look over all us, who dare the grumpy gods of speed. Thanks. CE

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This link may help: HERE

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Rule #1. There is no such thing as a quick, easy, and cheap frame swap.

Rule #2. If the rube down the street told you that he swapped such and such with such and such for a case of beer and cold pizza, he is lying more then Congress and you need to refer to Rule #1.

Frame swaps as a rule require a ton of work, lots of fabrication, and nickle and dime you to death because of all the little bits and pieces that are needed to do it CORRECTLY.

If you want to update, put a 300 inline 6 with a 5 spd manual behind it. You have a 9 inch rear end in that thing, so disk brake swaps are a breeze. And I am pretty sure there is plenty of info on the HAMB here on how to lower the front end and make it handle better.

Good Luck.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

#1 STOP taking drugs and/or 6 packs of energy drinks all at the same time

#2 Go to a bookstore and get a copy of "Written English for Dummies"
    and look at the chapter on construction of 'paragraphs'...........

#3 Read post #3 in this thread and follow it

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Firstly, welcome!

I've been there and done that and can tell you with 100% accuracy that what you're looking to do cannot be done for the price of a burrito. If that's what you're after, forget it. Sell the truck and buy something else.

If you're realistic and you want to build a solid truck that's reliable and built relatively cheaply, then keep the existing frame and suspension, read up on what it'll take to lower it a bit with high quality new components, and swap in a solid drivetrain from a worthy doner vehicle (assuming yours is too far gone to use).

But above all, have fun....and post pictures.....we like to watch!! :)

6. 2003 & up crown vic clip. Hub to hub, discs & power steering starting around $400. & search is your friend

7. My eyes hurt. HRP

8. 2racer

2racer

Y'all can git a book like that at Amazon.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you know that, how cum you dint? :D

10. 39 Ford

39 Ford

All here are not Ex-English majors, I read posts here for content. Not writing style.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i've posted this elsewhere here on the HAMB. a couple years ago at Hershey i saw a real nice 58 F100. sat low, looked good. asked and the guy said it was on a mid 80s LTD chassis with same eng/trans.

12. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

It has NOTHING to do with being an English major. That seems to be the standard response when someone doesn't know how, or make any effort to write at grade school level (which is why it used to be called "Grammar School"). This also applies to those who misuse words that have NO relation to one another except they sound the same, i.e. breaks vs. brakes, then vs. than, etc.

P.S. It's difficult to read a bunch of text without even minimal punctuation and sometimes no capitalization.

13. Rob68

Rob68

Here is a link to the 57-60's F100 Group. Tons of info on just about anything you'd want to do to that truck.
    www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=400
    For parts, try Macs, Sacramento Vintage Ford, LMC Truck, Dennis Carpenter, National Parts Depot, Obsolete and Classic Auto Parts, The Truck Shop. All of these companies have free catalogs and tons of parts. Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Isnt 1957-1960 already modern enough??? Shit that's almost the same age as my daily, and it's almost stock

15. When I run across a guy that is lost and confused and doesn't know what to do I just pat them on the back and say there, their, they're.

16. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Now THAT'S actually pretty funny!

17. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

How about trying to help the guy and answer his questions? Holy crap, guys!

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

How about the guy trying to help US help him by putting his question(s) in a readable format??

Why does he not have some responsibility to meet what is, by any measure, a quite modest standard here on the HAMB.

None of the comments critical of the OP in any way deters others from "helping" this guy.........but with such apparent little regard for himself or the HAMB, what motivation would there be to spend a lot of time trying to decipher gibberish? And, even if one did take the time to offer a comprehensive guide, would it be appreciated and utilized?

Ray