Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ideas for hood and hood side fabrication???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsy, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I've done several searches and can't seem to find any threads discussing this (I'm sure there has to be some buried here somewhere but I can't find one)

Anyways...I'm wanting to fabricate a hood and sides for my '27 T roadster. I'm running a '29 A grille shell and radiator. I do have a 'stock, 29 hood and sides. It obviously fits the grille but doesn't match up with the body contours and height or the '27. Should I try to modify this one or start from scratch and build a new one?? I'm looking for some suggestions and ideas on how to go about doing this either way.

I know that it's probably a simple enough deal to fab up and there's more than one way to skin this cat but as usual, I tend to over think everything.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. designs that work

designs that work

Start from scratch is the best way but a lot of work. If money is not a issue Rotlieb in Atwater Ca. makes them all day long. Making a hood at home can be done if you take your time and have the patience. Use 18 gauge cold roll or .050 30 series aluminum. The body and radiator should be mounted and square to each other, use multiple stripes of masking tape or duct tape, running from body to radiator shell to support your paper pattern. Cut a paper pattern and decide where the top ends and the sides begin. I used my oxygen bottle, to roll the curve into my hood, then a sheet metal break to put the finish or turn under in the hood. good luck

3. gtkane

gtkane

Def. start from scratch!
    I had to make a hood to fit a widened chevy cowl to a model a grille shell. Nothing out there would fit.
    I started by squaring everything up, as dtw said. Then I made a frame of sorts out of 1/8'x1/2" flat bar that would follow the contours very closely. Then I wrapped it in steel.
    The steel I used was from the trunklid of an 80's Impala, cuz it had a very slight crease down the center that helped to line everything up...and it looked good!
    I'll see if I can find some pics...