Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Idea for bypass filter on my flathead anyone done this

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcranger, Jan 5, 2015.

1. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

came across a Harley remote bypass filter that was used on panheads and knuckleheads it looks smaller than a frantz one ,just wondering if it will filter enough , the motor doesn't have a filter now I don't want to run it without one since we plan on using this car like trips in the range of 400-1000 miles ,the stock flathead filter will hit the rods for the grille, just looking for input
    thanks

2. alchemy

alchemy

You can move a stock style canister filter anywhere you want to. Or replace it with a finned aluminum one. It doesn't need to stay up on top of the head.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This subject has been debated many times.......and I am one who believes the by-pass
    filters do no harm.....but they do damn little good either. Only a small percentage of the
    oil goes the filter at any one time and none of the oil is filtered immediately before going
    to the engine bearings.

As said above, mount it anywhere you like and buy or fabricate hoses to plumb it.

Ray

4. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

figured some filter is better than no filter I do not want to pull motor to do the full flow conversion right now

5. I ran my flathead powered deuce sedan for at least 12 years without a oil filter but I was religious about changing the oil every 500 miles if I was at home or before I went on a trip. HRP

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Go look at the filter on a swimming pool... it will clean up a dirty pool in a couple of days, removing all the dirt and slime.

A bypass filter works the same way on a car. It filters ALL the oil, just not all at once. And it cleans finer than a full flow.

On another board, a Studebaker guy said he had rebuilt many Studebaker V8s and could see no difference in wear or engine life between the bypass or full flow models.

It may be that a full flow filter is better than a bypass, I won't argue that. But maintain that a bypass is better than no filter at all.

I also think it is significant that all cars used a bypass filter if they had a filter, until hydraulic lifters became popular in the fifties.