Register now to get rid of these ads!

ID this weird flathead intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kentuckyscum, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Stukka

Stukka
    from SoCal

I have some aerotype carbs around here. I'll find them and measure bolt space.

2. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Here are some awful pics of mine...I think my measurement are OK.:eek:

Attached Files:

3. kentuckyscum

kentuckyscum
    from kentucky

Thanks again for your help, ZomBrian!

Because some of the stud holes have been drilled out, I had to sort of estimate some of the measurments, but the one you posted would bolt on. Whether that means that carb was meant to bolt on, who knows. Longwise, the flanges are exactly 4 inches, like the carb. The measurement you posted from the outside of one bore to the outside of the other was 3-1/16, that matches one of the flanges exactly, the other shows 3 inches! Go figure. And the bores in the manifold are at least 1/16" less than the 1-1/2" you posted, but the butterfles would probably still open since they are up the carb bore a bit.

So I guess we could make Aerotypes work. Do I want to? I'm pretty new to the flathead/old school stuff, so go ahead and say "Here's what I think you should do..."

4. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

You're right. It was 1 7/16" rather than 1 1/2". I guess my measuring tape was cockeyed in/out. The 3 1/16" is pretty much correct but a sixteenth shouldn't matter too much...or at least I wouldn't think.:confused:

They're a handsome carb but I have no experience with them. I think they came stock on some Studebakers, or at least I saw one NOS at a swap meet and the guy only had Stude stuff and he wanted Stude guy price for it!:p

5. I would doubt that a progressive carb would be used on this manifold.

This manifold appears to be a "twin plane" variety judging by the shape of the runners on the exterior of the manifold. Unfortunatley the photos don't show the intake runners from the carb mount view. If I am correct on that then with a progressive 2 barrel carb half of the cylinders will receive nothing until the secondaries open up.

I would think a regular non-progressive two barrel would fit the bill.

As to the carbs to go on this manifold I have checked out a Holley 2110 which looks like a Stromberg / Holley 94 carb but has the 4 stud flange.

The dimensions for the flange overall is 4" x 2 5/8" . The stud pattern is 3 1/4" x 1 7/8".

You can find these on Y blocks and some International trucks and no doubt other applications. The throttle bore diam (measured with vernier) is 1.43" (shade under 1 7/16") and the distance outside to outside of the throttle bores is 2.96"

6. Kustomman#1

Kustomman#1

I still have mine and I was told it was from a boat!!! I can get you pics of the underside if you want.

Attached Files:

7. kentuckyscum

kentuckyscum
    from kentucky

I agree that non-progessive is the only way to go. I got a chance to look at it closer.

I will add the Holley 2110 to my shopping list. There is a junkyard just down the road from me with a bunch of old trucks, and the guy owes me for all the car and truck carcasses I have donated to him over the years.

8. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Just thought I would weigh in here with my insight on this flathead intake manifold. I have indeed seen these before and I belive this is a Canadian made intake. I am from Canada near the Toronto area. This is not a one off intake manifold as I have seen about six of these now and a casting run had to have been made. From what I can gather this intake was made for early 1950's stock car racing, probably at the old CNE track in Toronto. This intake was made in the early 1950's and maybe even as late as 1955. I have an early Caproff flathead intake, set up much the same way and two early Rochester carbs will fit right on. The Rochester carbs would give you more cfm and ultimately more speed. The Caproff was made in Toronto and the name and place of origin is cast right into the Caproff intake. Too bad there was never any name or any identifcation on this intake. It's a part of history that is probably lost and makes your intake much less valuable. This intake was made for all out racing. The linkage for these carbs would have to go together. The crude work underneath was probably an attempt to place equalization tubes there to get the gasoline to flow better. The CNE track was banked up and longer than most and when the car went around the corner at speed the gasoline would more than likely gather on one side of the intake because of the G forces causing the car to starve for fuel. These crude looking tubes were probably put in there to prevent or at least help the car from sputtering and stalling out from lack of fuel. The hole in the centre is an oil fill as the hole in the back would be for the fuel pump. Oil could be added easily without removing anything. I don't know how well this intake would work on the street or if at all. The end result may not be worth the effort to get it into running condition. I don't have one of these intakes in my collection and if you would be interested in selling let me know. Good luck. - Garney

9. titus

titus

Merc carbs had a 4 bolt flange, and ive seen 94's with a 4 bolt base.

Im betting money that the center hole is just a breather/oil fill hole

jeff

10. kentuckyscum

kentuckyscum
    from kentucky

Yeah, it's probably a circle track manifold with an extra breather, but I still have doubts. Why use a 4-bolt carb when Strombergs were all the rage? Why was an extra breather necessary? In the first crappy pics I posted you can see that the pipe in back is fitted with a spring loaded cap and some sort of road draft tube. Was that not enough? How about the Eddie Meyer high rise thing with the part that fits down in the center hole? It also has 4-bolt flanges. So if you didn't have the top part were you supposed to use 4-bolt carbs on it and jam a breather in the hole? Someone here has one of those. Please explain.

I have wasted the last 16 years of my life working on our 200 year-old house, so I well know the futility of trying to figure out what people in the distant past were thinking. I will probably try to patch up the manifold a little and see what happens. And I have not been able to stop my brain from designing a top piece. All I know is I couldn't find the standard Fenton manifold that I know my dad has in his garage. He held up this thing and said "Hey! How about this one!"

Attached Files: