Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ID help please...steering column!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Can anyone ID this steering column?

IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG

Pretty sure it’s mid-‘60’s, certainly it’s a GM piece.

I need to buy a replacement lower shaft bearing and knowing what the column is out of would certainly help.

Yes, it’s a tilit unit!! If you don’t like it, feel free to buy me a replacement! ;)

Thanks H.A.M.B. Know-It-All’s!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Not sure about the column, kind of looks like a Corvette column I used to have, but I am pretty sure the column drop is either Ace hardware or Home Depot.

Bandit Billy and 1956 F100 like this.
  3. That would definitely be Ace. ;)

Looks like '70s GM maybe '80s.

Sorry didn't read everything

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  4. BJR

BJR

Remove the lower bearing and look for a number on it. If you can find a number any parts store like NAPA should be able to order one for you.

5. That's the whole problem...I don't have the bottom bearing!!

When was the first tilt column in GM's line? The color looks mid-'60's Marina Blue or very close.

6. '64? I think that Tilt was available as early as '64 and the color would make it a match for that era Impala. Let me google it.

7. I've got a '55 150 steering wheel that is very close to the same color....but the shown wheel will stay and the column will match!

Thanks for looking, @porknbeaner !!!

8. Yep '64 Chevelle and Impala had an optional tilt.

The bushing should resemble this one

[​IMG]

9. BJR

BJR

63 Pontiac Grand Prix had a tilt.

10. squirrel

squirrel

The turn signal switches usually have an SAE number with the year it was first used....pull the wheel off and look?

It does not have Chevy knobs, and the shape at the dash is not right for 63-64 Impala.

11. squirrel

squirrel

and it has the right shape knobs?

[​IMG]

brett4christ likes this.
  12. Thanks Squirrel!! 1963 Grand Prix...got it!!

13. Hey all, here’s what things look like under the steering wheel...

IMG_1077.JPG

The only numbers I can see is “848” at 12 o’clock in the photo. I’m still thinking ‘62-‘65 Pontiac, but the only pics I see with these knobs is in the X-400 concept Grand Prix that Squirrel posted and a pic of a ‘63 Bonneville from a Google image search. The knobs seem to be available on a high-end package, but still not sure..

Still looking...

14. squirrel

squirrel

you don't have any turn signal switch wires, do you? :)

15. Didn't the 63 have the switch on the lower end with a rod are cable to work it?

16. squirrel

squirrel

that's my guess.

17. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

This would hold my build up about 3 nanoseconds. Measure the shaft diameter and the inside of the tube, then get a sealed bearing to fit. I usually drill two holes in the tube, tack nuts over the holes, grind a flat in the race in line with the holes, screw in set screws, go about my rat killing. If this is a 100% restoration then disregard the above. Picture of shortened 52 pickup column with bearing and set screw.

S10 044.jpg

18. squirrel

squirrel

yup, trying to find a part for a rare column in a rare car is also going to take a while, even if you can identify the part.

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Early '60's GM column with cable activated turn signal switch. Wire connector has a pyramid shape and no 4way flashers. If it were mine, I would check into making a Teflon bushing for the bottom bearing.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app