Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ID help-Harry A Miller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papawlambert, Jan 12, 2018.

1. papawlambert

papawlambert
    from poetry,tx

I picked up a custom drill index yesterday. It is pictured below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm very familiar with Mr Miller and his nephew, Eddie Miller. The drill index says Harry A Miller Mfg Co. La Calif. I believe it held numbered drills for carb jets? or other. The part I would like to know is the screw on cap on the bottom has stamped O M Moore and below that a date of 4-16-1924. Would anybody know O M Moore.
    Thanks

Stogy likes this.
  2. papawlambert

papawlambert
    from poetry,tx

No old folks like me out there?

3. Fordors

Fordors

Probably no connection but there was an Art Moore described in the Mark Dees Miller tome as a “....carburetion and tuning expert.” Possibly related?

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great find! Post the question on the Auto Racing 1894-1944 thread, you should catch more Vintage race car guys there. Bob

5. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

Miller started out making carbs. before engines and race cars. Those are numbered jet drill bits. Nice rare find !

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Contact Jim Miller a racing historian in So Cal. If it's from his family he would definatly know.

7. papawlambert

papawlambert
    from poetry,tx

From Jim Miller:
    Hi Butch-
    Looked hi and low to find an O. M. Moore but struck out.
    The item you're looking at is a drill set used by race mechanics for drilling out carb jets. They were made for Miller carbs used on Miller engines. Sometimes the mechanics would solder the brass jets and use the drills to re-bore them if they didn't have the right jet size.

I've got one from my grandfather out in the garage.

Since Miller has been out of business for about 86 years or so it's a rare piece.

Jim

Thanks for the replies. Probably why a brass pin drill chuck was inside the drill index.

saltracer219 likes this.
  8. 60-80 drill sets are pretty common. If you need to replace them.